Epsom Derby meeting and protests

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Yep. Horse of the Year Show it ain't! In the main the horses are well cared for, as the fair is a showcase, and the horses are currency. However, as the days wear on and the beer takes over, not everyone is on their best behaviour. I haven't been for over ten years, but see from above it hasn't changed.

toppedoff

Visit site
twitter has me right now, animal rising are at it again with their stuff and this time it is an old ex racehorse who was "rescued" it wasnt rescued, it was given to the charity, they got the horses name wrong too and this is the picture of the horse, oof
1686664483178.png

Visit site

ARising attempting to get a national debate into horseracing on national TV....

The BHA are right not to do it. AR has proven to break its promises time and time again.

The last 2 days on Twitter have been entertaining. First they tweet about the rescued racehorse that was in fact not the horse they thought it was because they can't get their facts straight.

Today they have had to do 3 takes of a video and tweet because they can't get simple things right. They plan on disrupting The Royal National Derby - first I've ever heard of that race! Then it became The Ascot Derby - again no such thing. Before they finally settled on The Royal Ascot 🤦‍♀️

They honestly do themselves no favours when they can't even do their very basic research right.

toppedoff

Visit site
The BHA are right not to do it. AR has proven to break its promises time and time again.

The last 2 days on Twitter have been entertaining. First they tweet about the rescued racehorse that was in fact not the horse they thought it was because they can't get their facts straight.

Today they have had to do 3 takes of a video and tweet because they can't get simple things right. They plan on disrupting The Royal National Derby - first I've ever heard of that race! Then it became The Ascot Derby - again no such thing. Before they finally settled on The Royal Ascot 🤦‍♀️

They honestly do themselves no favours when they can't even do their very basic research right.
i think thats the goal to be chaotic but its very amusing 😂 theres no the racing blogger drama on my feed anymore! im loving it

mariew

Visit site
I assume it's just to raise debate and get in the news. Rewilding horses wouldn't work. There's not enough space, imagine the damage they'd do if they roamed the land and got hit by cars on a roads...

Surely they're not stupid enough to think all animals living their natural lives malarkey is possible. Imagine how many painful deaths there would be due to overheating sheep for example!

Visit site
This week saw Royal Ascot - 5 days of racing which Animal Rising want banned. Where were they? Not there.

Glastonbury is held on a working dairy farm. Where were Animal Rising? Not there.

Where were they?

Glueing themselves to the stage at the Royal Highland Show in protest of the sheep shearing 🤦‍♀️

Ratface

Visit site
Re sheep-shearing protest: the protesters must be remarkably ignorant. Perhaps they'd like to live in a heavy fur coat in the middle of Summer?

Visit site
Re sheep-shearing protest: the protesters must be remarkably ignorant. Perhaps they'd like to live in a heavy fur coat in the middle of Summer?

Part of the protest was about how roughly the sheep are handled to sheer so quickly (which I do actually agree with as it can be quite brutal to watch) part of it is against humans gradually evolving sheep to produce more wool for us and the other part was to protest against sheep farming. They reckon all sheep should just disappear and the land they graze rewilded for a greener future.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I think their point is that we bred them not to shed naturally so that we could harvest their wool.

Sheep that shed naturally still exist.

Visit site
They certainly do, Wiltshire Horn for one which is what the easy care (shedding) breed are developed from. One wonders what they expect to use for clothing in the 'Utopia' they think they will create by rewilding or eat for that matter.

Or what they think will happen to all these sheep that should disappear to allow rewilding of their grazing land.

They can't answer the question of what they would do with all the thoroughbreds should racing be banned tomorrow. They have openly said they want the extinction of the breed.

palo1

Visit site
Or what they think will happen to all these sheep that should disappear to allow rewilding of their grazing land.

They can't answer the question of what they would do with all the thoroughbreds should racing be banned tomorrow. They have openly said they want the extinction of the breed.

Yeah, well there is a level of nonsense there that is almost impossible to get around tbh. It always amazes me that Glasto doesn't actually attract more negative attention too; there are many, many contradictions and difficulties with events like that but I guess hedonism wins the day lol!

reynold

Visit site
They also don't want the byproducts of the animals like wool and leather. Totally ignoring the fact that the alternatives made from plastic utilise OIL and that if they revert to rubber then the plantations involved destroy rainforest involving much species damage/extinction (as does the production of soya if they want a non-meat lifestyle)

Also in their utopia when the energy from wind/solar becomes insufficient and we're back to using OIL lamps or candles for lighting they ignore the fact that the supply of beeswax for candles will be insufficient and that alternative 'wax' also relies on OIL

It's a bit like our pursuit of 'net zero' in this country. The idea of not using our land and sea based oil/gas looks virtuous, until you read the small print that we'll be importing vast quantities of energy from other oil/gas rich states - so we'll still be using OIL, just the politicians will be able to strut on the world stage saying 'look at what we've achieved'

Total hypocrites the lot of them.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Like most idealists they are incapable of thinking things through and working out a practical solution. They just want to ban whatever is their particular hate and don't look beyond that. I would like to think they eventually grow up and see sense but many are older people already.

teapot

Visit site
The security presence at Royal Ascot would have risked them being taken out by an armed copper, maybe even they realised they wouldn't get any joy there?

Visit site
The security presence at Royal Ascot would have risked them being taken out by an armed copper, maybe even they realised they wouldn't get any joy there?

The whole thing with Ascot was that they said they would cause major disruption unless the BHA had a debate with them on TV. They took 3 attempts to get their promo video right with names of races etc. Then it all went quiet.

mariew

Visit site
Wool is such an amazing material. It's a shame it's gone out of fashion. So if they don't want wool from sheep, is meat ok? If not then sheep are basically going to be reduced to a handful of pets. :/

reynold

Visit site
From an general article in the RPost about protests:

The Animal Rising protester who broke on to the track during the Derby was due to appear at Guildford Crown Court on Thursday for a plea and trial preparation hearing. Ben Newman, 32, has remained in custody after being refused bail on June 5.