Equ StreamZ anyone used ?

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Hi just wondering if anyone has heard of/used this product for their horse after seeing an add on facebook thought I'd check it out

Thanks

TPO

Visit site
I've not read the link but I have used them before.

I bought a set for my very broken older ex-racer as he was a money pit anyway so the bands weren't a big expense. Nothing else changed in his management or routine and he was noticeably sounder.

My mum then bought a set for her connie x who has numerous physical issues from before she bought him. He's had, we presume, a smashed seasamoid and has a thickened fetlock with a reduced range of movement. He also had a locking patella and was generally stiff. Again, nothing else changed in his management or routine but he was looser behind and his stifle didn't lock up nearly as often in the field.

I don't think it could be placebo effect as the horses' didn't know what they were supposed to do and their movement was obviously different. I was just in the habit of throwing good money after bad so didn't try them with much hope to be honest.

Luci07

Visit site
The post is odd - lots of opinions and little in the way of actual factsl! I HAVE tried them. I had no faith at all and thought they were a waste of money when stuck at the stall, but I ended up trialing one a few years ago when at Hickstead for myself. I have a rotten left knee from various equine accidents and this makes a difference. No idea why. I sleep at night with mine on (you look like an escaped convict as you wear it on your right ankle) and if I forget, I struggle in the morning with my knee. Couple of friends have borrowed it and then ended up buying their own. One uses hers on her old horse who is much better wearing it but the bands are not something to put on and then turn out in (yes she did...!)

No idea of the science. I think that after nearly 3 years of use the "placebo" effect would have gone, so I do rate them. I also started from being exceptionally cynical and expecting it to NOT work.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd want gait analysis to determine if there was a real objective improvement rather than subjective opinion. It wouldn't be difficult for them to do if they wanted to prove it worked......

Luci07

Visit site
I'd want gait analysis to determine if there was a real objective improvement rather than subjective opinion. It wouldn't be difficult for them to do if they wanted to prove it worked......

You can measure mine...don't wear it, limp, do wear it..normal stride!

glamourpuss

Visit site
The reason you don't understand the science is because there is NO science behind them. Pseudoscientific waffle, yes but not a single scrap of proper evidence or even correct scientific theory behind them.

Placebo effect is an incredibly strong phenomenon, it doesn't mean the person it happens to is 'stupid' or 'gullible'.
There was a scientific study that suggested that many medications prescribed by doctors have a strong placebo effect.
Placebo can work on animals (well it's actually more likely to be the owners perception or even a natural improvement)

TPO

Visit site
It's in NO WAY scientific but prior to the bands I would notice my mum's horse's stifle lock approx 4 times in the hour I poo picked and that was me just noticing, not actively looking for anything.

After wearing the bands it took a couple of weeks, because I wasn't expecting anything or looking for anything, for me to realise that he was no longer locking up.

Again that was approx an hour a night and not under close or measured observation but there was a difference. It was my mums horse and as such I didn't have anything invested in him. My mum also commented on the change under saddle.

Ours wore the bands 24/7 during summer. I noticed mums horse appearing stiffer again and mentioned to mum( she said he's lost his bands in the field a few days earlier. I hadn't equated the two. Once the bands were located he appeared to improve again.

My ex racer had a fractured pelvis as a 2yr old so was mechanically lame due to healing unlevel. He had other issues and caused further problems because he's been compromising. He was never going to be sound and I'd thrown so much money at him that £75 for bands (there was a discount code on Twitter Eventing- that's where I heard of them) wasn't a big deal. Again I had no expectations having used all sorts of scientifically proven things previously (ie drugs and surgery). His improvement was much more gradual than mums horse but improve he did.

I get that "bad science" is frustrating. I can't think of any worse "bad science" than remedial shoeing but look how many believe that? However these bands made a positive difference to 100% of the horses in my care that wore them. They both had permanent long term issues and were managed in a specific way. The bands were the only change.

I don't mean it in an arrogant way but I really don't care about the opinion of others, especially those that have never used the bands. They worked for me and I'd happily buy another pair should I have any similar issues with a horse.

I'm not a blind believer of anything, I bought but refused to use an arc equine, but these bands works for me so I'm an extremely satisfied customer

catembi

Visit site
TPO - out of interest, why didn't you use your ArcEquine...?

To cut a long story short, my ex-racer had KS surgery just over a year ago, but still doesn't want to work. He had his chiro out this week who said that the KS area appears to be fine but he is v stiff in the SI area. Possibly because he's been holding himself incorrectly for so long due to the KS that he now can't stop. I'm casting about for something to try...

(If anyone has an ArcEquine that's in the way or any Equ Streamz that they don't want, or any suggestions re things to try pls lob them in my direction...)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Here's how it works, folks. From the StreamZ website:-
At a cellular level, human cells resonate either in healthy vibrational states or they exist in varying forms of disharmonious (unnatural) states of oscillation. For example, cells in ‘pain’ will resonate in a disharmonious or less-than-ideal manner. These same cells, if exposed to their low frequency natural state, will once again vibrate in healthier modes and at their optimum state.

The spiralling effect created by StreamZ smart-material interacts with the individual frequencies of the minerals and ions in the living system. This process is known as bio-magnetic rebalancing and works by speeding the charged particles up to a very high energy level and naturally arranging them into an organised spiralling motion.

catembi

Visit site
That is brilliant! I loooove that diagram & the 'explanation'. I am currently 70k words into my 6th fantasy office novel & I simply *have* to borrow some of that madness!

Thank you!

TPO

Visit site
Catembi- I read up on micro current therapy and arc equine over several months. I contacted Ian at arc and was in no way satisfied with his claims. My questions weren't answered and I was just getting told how amazing arc was/is. He told me about a race horse they were using as a case study with 70% hole in its tendon and how amazing the recovery was. He said all the scans and reports would be on the site; that was 2012 iirc and I've never seen it... There was a large thread on here and several hirses experienced negative effects. Arc wouldn't acknowledge that where there is the potential to do good there must also be potential to cause harm.

I did buy one second hand thinking I had nothing else to lose but I couldn't bring myself to use it.

The thread in the competing and training forum was very enlightening to me. I sold the arc after sitting on my couch for a month.

I only used the bands on two horses but there were no visable side effects. Swelling/filled legs were a thing of the past and the increased range of movement, reduced stiffness and lameness.

catembi

Visit site
Thank you, TPO... Was hoping that it might be a magic cure, but I certainly don't want to make anything worse.

Ilovegreyponies

New User
Visit site
While recovering from a check ligament injury my eventing pony damaged his DDFT. He has had a very firm swelling of the tendon sheath which has remained despite treatment and rest. I am a vet and firmly believe on evidence based treatment first line so was willing to try anything else alongside the conventional treatment that will do no harm. I started using the EQU Streamz bands just over a week ago and had absolutely no expectations. After 24 hours of wearing the bands, with no other management change, there was a very obvious reduction in the pressure within the tendon sheath and a significantly obvious reduction in lameness. I had been monitoring the lameness by very short lunge sessions. He seemed a bit depressed and was not moving well. After the noticeable reduction in swelling of the tendon sheath I lunged him and he was I’d say sound and he went absolutely wild, where he had previously just looked stiff and fed up. I am very cynical about such products, and their claims. Unless there has been a totally coincidental improvement in the swelling of the tendon sheath which has not changed in over 6 months , they have appeared to have made an obvious improvement. P.S no one at EQU Streamz has asked me to write this!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I borrowed a set to try out but can’t say I noticed any difference in the two horses I tried them on sadly! I was hoping they would be like a miracle cure 😉 they’re not.

littleshetland

Visit site
I use an 'Arc equine' on my horse to assist with his very damaged knee....apart from the moderate damage to my bank account, I can see no harm in trying this on him, and I believe it may have helped - I'll know more when he's x rayed in October. I know these gadgets may not stand up to close scientific scrutiny, but I do believe that science may not have developed enough to understand fully how these things work - science is evolving all the time, and if there's enough anecdotal evidence from sane and sensible people, I'm happy to give things a try. There was a time when scientists firmly believed that the sun revolved around the earth....and if you tried to convince someone that the earth was spherical you were considered bonkers......you get my drift, but I'd be happy to try these bands if I feel I need to. As an aside...acupuncture is now available on the NHS, and it was only until very recently that it was dismissed as 'snake oil and quackery...but it works and has done for thousands of years.

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
Nothing at all 😂 but I have given ester a vintage *like* for her "imbalance of the humours" post above so it's not all bad ;)

I'm quite pleased of that myself. My colleagues did enjoy a thorough rummage round their website at the time too.

I do think most scientists are likely more aware of the limitations of science than most laymen. NHS acupuncture is somewhat different to chinese acupuncture as it concentrates on MSK stuff (ergo direct needling)

Auslander

Visit site
I think that with most of these things, people tend to forget that horses get better. They may not get better fast, and they may not recover from some conditions/injuries, but in the main, they are really quite good at fixing themselves.

Scenario 1 Horse gets hurt, horse spends some time recovering, horse gets better

Scenario 2 Horse gets hurt, owner spends some money on a whizz bang gadget, horse spends some time recovering. Horse gets better...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As an aside...acupuncture is now available on the NHS, and it was only until very recently that it was dismissed as 'snake oil and quackery...but it works and has done for thousands of years.

Homeopathy is available on the NHS and all the evidence is that it is working either as a placebo or because the consultation is so long and talking therapy works with a lot of illnesses, or both.

I looked up acupuncture recently and I couldn't find any evidence that it works in properly conducted double blind scientific trials, where the person placing the 'needle' doesn't know if there is a needle inside the sheaths they've been given to use or not. It seems to be another placebo.

Arc equine is another kettle of fish altogether. No, it's not been tested 'properly', but there is now research producing very interesting results with the use of electrical stimulation of injuries. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Arc Equine treatment pass clinical trials.

As Auslander says, things heal over time. I see a lot of people recommending bodyworkers, but what I mostly see actually happening is a horse given a small number of treatments over, say, six months, accompanied by a drastic reduction in workload and a gradual buildup to normal work again over six to nine months. And an assumption on the part of the owner that it was the bodywork and any recommended exercises that produced the result and not just lower grade work and time.

In the first half of my 40+ year horse owning career, lame horses were chucked out to grass in a herd in a big field for three, six, nine months and usually came right. In the second half it's increasingly become the norm to use body workers but I'm not seeing any startlingly different results in the number that come permanently right and don't break again once in full work.

With the advent of tiny paddocks and loss of herd turnout, we look to me to be in severe danger of forgetting the healing power of rest in a situation which encourages movement, and doctor green.

alexomahony

Visit site
I have these on my arthritic Welsh D - there's no obvious improvement like some of the miracle stories you hear, however... as far as I'm aware it's a magnet. Magnets attract Iron, which blood is full of...so surely anything that encourages better circulation would aid recovery to any injury?

(I know my arthritic pony will never 'recover'... the circulation side wasn't the reason I bought them, I just thought they might help him a bit)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Homeopathy is available on the NHS and all the evidence is that it is working either as a placebo or because the consultation is so long and talking therapy works with a lot of illnesses, or both.

pretty sure it was blacklisted a while back so not routinely funded?

ester

Visit site
yes the homeopathy thing has changed recently

I also think the acupuncture came up because they were using empty needles as placebos for MSK injections and getting success, I have definitely read papers re. them finding that just chucking a big needle in seemed to help though we get back to placebo still.
Still my consultant asked if acupuncture helped, I said yes, she suggested I should find someone to pay to do that then....