Equest paramox wormer

racebuddy

Visit site
Anybody had problesm had worming with equest paramox, my horse was very off sode with this wormer off xolour off food and had diarrhea fpr xouple of days , history of upcers and ibd also

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thousands of people, it's very well known to be too much for some horses. Next time use moxidectin alone for encysted redworm and either Strongid P double dose or ivermectin/praziquantel for tape at a different time.

With a horse with those issues, I think your vet or wormer supplier, if they knew, should have warned you against it.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
Yes a fair few do have some reactions to pramox.
If you do a search for it youll find other threads discussing it.

Years ago i bought pramox for my 2, googled about it first, found the threads on here warning its possible side-effects, and didn’t use it in the end.
Since being a member for a short while ive seen a couple more threads about it, so i just worm for tapeworm separately, and am glad i took heed of warnings.
Its not the drugs that are the problems, as many use the wormers separately no issues, it seems its the combination of 2 worming drugs in one tube that seems to give some horses undesirable symptoms.

Try and tempt your horse to eat to get everything moving through his system. Whatever foods you know he loves, beetpulp is very high fibre, holds water, so will hydrate him if he’s off drinking too. Use charcoal/protexin probiotics too. Keep his gut moving the waste from possible parasite die-off through his system.

SEL

Visit site
I did a yard of 40 horses with it - 1 sweaty and a bit of tummy ache (could have had a worm burden) but others ok.

Since then I've come across 3 colics, including a horse with zero worm counts, 1 laminitis and a horse who had a fit and needed emergency vet care. I don't think any of those were reported by the vets despite owners asking.

ycbm

Visit site
I've written this before, but I was advised years ago, at a chance meeting, by the Rep who worked for the company that makes it, never to use moxidectin and praziquantel in one worming because of the number of adverse reactions that they get reported to them.

Ivermectin/praziquantel does not have the same problems, which is just as well now praziquantel can't be bought alone.

sport horse

Visit site
I lost a horse to colic 12 hours after worming with Pramox. The horse had been regularly wormed from birth to this occasion including having had Pramox before. I canot prove it was the Pramox but that was the only thing the horse had had outof the ordinary. I will never use it again and I know I am not alone. I still have to fight my vets who recommend it every time they discuss worming and I just have to keep saying 'never in this yard'!

SEL

Visit site
I lost a horse to colic 12 hours after worming with Pramox. The horse had been regularly wormed from birth to this occasion including having had Pramox before. I canot prove it was the Pramox but that was the only thing the horse had had outof the ordinary. I will never use it again and I know I am not alone. I still have to fight my vets who recommend it every time they discuss worming and I just have to keep saying 'never in this yard'!

I'm very sorry you lost your horse. My friend's horse had a bout that went on for a week after it. The horse had regular worm counts - done by her vets - and they actually took poo samples during the colic to see whether there were dead worms in them. Nothing seen, but they have advised her to stay clear ever since.

PurBee

Visit site
I did a yard of 40 horses with it - 1 sweaty and a bit of tummy ache (could have had a worm burden) but others ok.

Since then I've come across 3 colics, including a horse with zero worm counts, 1 laminitis and a horse who had a fit and needed emergency vet care. I don't think any of those were reported by the vets despite owners asking.
Exactly. If vets and owners reported to equest and regulation agencies their experiences i think pramox would have been taken off the market by now.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve always used Pramox and have never had an adverse reaction, but the stories above are definitely off-putting!

I’m not a worming buff- What would be the alternative for autumn worming to include encysted red worm?

Louby

Visit site
My horse was wormed with Pramox for tapeworm, then I moved yards and they insisted she was wormed again as part of their policy. We agreed on a worm count due to the recent worming and surprisingly she had encysted red worm, not major but over the 200 count. I rang the worm count company help line and they recommended Pancur 5 Day due to such a recent dose of Pramox and said it was odd after that wormer she still had worms. I worm counted in Jan and shes fine but that doesnt show tapeworm and Im not really sure what to do her with as I dont want to use Pramox.

deb_l222

Visit site

Yes, I lost my mare to colic 24 hours after worming with Pramox. She had colicked with it before but survived and (sadly) I foolishly didn't associate the colic with the wormer because it was (again) 24 hours in between. Second time wasn't so lucky :(

It was a crappy, horrid day and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. If I ever have horses again, I wouldn't touch Pramox (or Equest) if it was the last wormer on the planet.

Sorry for your loss Sport Horse, it's really awful to lose them this way :(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’ve always used Pramox and have never had an adverse reaction, but the stories above are definitely off-putting!

I’m not a worming buff- What would be the alternative for autumn worming to include encysted red worm?
I too have always used this, what Viovet available wormer could we use instead?
My horse was wormed with Pramox for tapeworm, then I moved yards and they insisted she was wormed again as part of their policy. We agreed on a worm count due to the recent worming and surprisingly she had encysted red worm, not major but over the 200 count. I rang the worm count company help line and they recommended Pancur 5 Day due to such a recent dose of Pramox and said it was odd after that wormer she still had worms. I worm counted in Jan and shes fine but that doesnt show tapeworm and Im not really sure what to do her with as I dont want to use Pramox.
I think anyone who is unsure of what to use should contact someone like Westgate Labs for advice - they are the experts and will guide you through it.
I have always found them very helpful even if I haven't sent a recent sample to them.

Personally I use Equest by itself when indicated for encysted small redworm, and there are other wormers that will take care of tape separately if necessary. Most require a double dose (e.g. strongid-P) but I gather there is a version of Praziquantel (that was what was in Equitape before it was withdrawn) that vets can get hold of.

WandaMare

Visit site
My mare had an adverse reaction to Pramox which I reported, it was years ago and I haven't used it since. It wasn't particularly serious but scared me enough to stop using it. I then was advised by the vet that the only alternative for encysted redworm is Panacur which I used with no problems for a couple of years. Both my horses have had clear worm counts for over 3 years so I have to admit I don't use either now, I just do regular worm counts and leave it at that.

ycbm

Visit site
Encysted redworm can usually be safely done with Equest, or any other brand of moxidectin, alone. The issues are mainly reported with the dual wormer Equest Pramox which also has praziquantel in. Praziquantel doesn't have the same problems when mixed with ivermectin, which doesn't do encysted worms, and isn't as harsh on the system.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just spoken direct to my vets - praziquantel as a standalone for equine use is being withdrawn from sale and is no longer available from them :mad:.

Bum, bugger and arses.

Onto plan C. Double dose with Strongid P for tapes in a couple of weeks. Have just given plain Equest (moxidectin) to all 3 as winter treatment for encysteds.

The stories of bad reactions to Pramox have been doing the rounds for years. My local SQP agreed that colic is common post Pramox. How is it still in such common use?

Last edited:

alibali

Visit site
My horse had a huge adverse reaction to Pramox, it seemed a bit like an allergic reaction. He started to drool, then his legs buckled and he was very dazed. It came on within a couple of minutes of worming. I didn't call the vet because in all honesty I thought he would be dead before the vet arrived. After about 5 minutes the symptoms disappeared as quickly as they came on and there were no lasting side effects. I will never use Pramox again on any horse.

Hack4fun

Visit site
No problem at all with it. I would suggest going with a worming programme from an organisation like Intelligent worming. Discuss your experience with them. It is important to use the right wormer at the right time of year (eg winter months for encysted larval stages of small red worms), and also to have knowledge of actual parasite burden. Worming is not a one-off activity but something to be sustained over time that is appropriate for your horse and its context.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

No, you don't want to treat for encysteds too early,

I don't see it as a major issue as I don't want to treat encysteds and tapeworm at the same time anyway. Do encysteds about Christmas, tapes spring and/or autumn and for tapes I switch between using ivermectin+ praziquantel or double dose pyrantel.

Melody Grey

Visit site
No, you don't want to treat for encysteds too early,

I don't see it as a major issue as I don't want to treat encysteds and tapeworm at the same time anyway. Do encysteds about Christmas, tapes spring and/or autumn and for tapes I switch between using ivermectin+ praziquantel or double dose pyrantel.

thanks Ester- by autumn I meant bonfire night/ after first frost....so I guess that’s kind of winter really! ?

PurBee

Visit site
Ah ok, great, just wanted to double check...i had it stuck in my head to make sure to do those pesky blighters before it warms up.