Equestrian shop - best for online and/or discounts?

sarahmac77

Visit site
Hi there. Looks like I have found a horse to buy, at last, so let the great 'emptying of the bank account' begin!

I have to buy everything, and although I am happy to get some stuff second hand, there's a lot I want to buy from just one shop.
Can you recommend your favourite online shop - good prices, but with good quality stock too, and ideally free returns policy (I got really stung once returning ill-fitting boots with a £20 return postage fee!).

If anyone has a discount code too I'd be ecstatic. I recently had a shop-wide code somewhere, but can i find it? NOPE.

And a final query - outside of FB or Ebay - is there a good source of second hand stuff (ideally in one place?!).

THANKS!
Love, Soon-to-be-broke Sarah. ?

wish upon a star

Visit site
Oakfield has a good range and 10% discount on a lot of items, OAk10. Has free postage too.
Carboots are good for second hand stuff but obviously not at the moment!
Good luck with the new horse ?

CMcC

Visit site
Do you have a good local tack/feed shop?
You will be able to see before you buy, get advice from staff and check any returns policy before you buy.
Also if you are a bit cheeky explain that you are buying everything for new horse and they might offer you discount.

Micropony

Visit site
Depending what size your horse is, and how particular you are about exactly what you want, you may need to shop around. I have recently had to buy a whole new wardrobe for mine as he grew (aged 9!), and ended up having to buy things from 3 or 4 separate shops not to get the best prices, just to get the size! I don't remember having had these problems before, don't know whether people just aren't holding much stock this season for some reason.
I have had great service recently from Redpost Equestrian, Country and Stable of Olney and Equi Supermarket, which is a great place to visit in the actual flesh if you're anywhere vaguely nearby.

Reactions: TPO

dorsetladette

Visit site
Harry Hall is good if you are a member/have insurance with them. You get good discounts on somethings.

Preloved is good bigger second hand stuff. Also there are a few 'job lot' FB pages that sell bundles of stuff especially rugs.

Reactions: TPO

sarahmac77

Visit site
Do you have a good local tack/feed shop?
You will be able to see before you buy, get advice from staff and check any returns policy before you buy.
Also if you are a bit cheeky explain that you are buying everything for new horse and they might offer you discount.
I don’t have a local shop. Nearest one is quite far. And the covid situation isn’t helping or I’d drive a to a big store and just do it all at once!

jnb

Visit site
I have had stonking rug bargains from GS Equestrian, Speedy Equestrian, Pet n Pony, amongst others, I like Weatherbeeta Comfitec rugs and if you're lucky you can get a good bargain, I paid £49.99 for a WB top of the range Lite Combo, RRP is £99.99-£119.99
Bargain.
Otherwise, Hope Valley Saddlery (either online or go to Somerford Park) have just about everything.

Uliy

Visit site
It’s great you are thinking ahead! I was so worried about jinxing things/being disappointed that I didn’t dare let myself think about this kind of thing until the day my horse arrived, so I had to send my parents off to the local tack shop with a list of the essentials ? I’m lucky to have them, otherwise I’d have been without anything!

Redpost Equestrian are great, I got stuff from them very quickly. Not sure about returns but I think they are free! Also free delivery over £50 ? I’ve seen Eileen Douglas mentioned - I used them via eBay but they were quick to deliver and quick to refund after I sent back a very poorly fitting fly rug a few months ago, so I would recommend. I had a bad experience with one tack shop who I don’t believe actually had the item I bought in stock, however I have now been refunded - their TrustPilot reviews are full of similar experiences unfortunately too so I recommend having a quick look at these for any shop you buy from, as I remember seeing a review saying someone had also bought everything for their new horse but hadn’t received it by the time the horse arrived! The company did refund me eventually and I think their customer service representatives seem to be working hard to satisfy other complaints, but do be aware.

In terms of second hand, I found https://www.preownedhorserugs.co.uk/ to be great (although my horse is a very popular size so have to be quick)! They sometimes have free delivery but not sure about returns. Otherwise, EBay is amazing and you’ll soon find yourself sitting down in the evening to think “hmm what else can I buy for my horse (that I probably don’t need)?” - shopping for my horse is my new and favourite hobby!

Good luck and I can’t wait for pictures!

sarahmac77

Visit site
It’s great you are thinking ahead! I was so worried about jinxing things/being disappointed that I didn’t dare let myself think about this kind of thing until the day my horse arrived, so I had to send my parents off to the local tack shop with a list of the essentials ? I’m lucky to have them, otherwise I’d have been without anything!

Redpost Equestrian are great, I got stuff from them very quickly. Not sure about returns but I think they are free! Also free delivery over £50 ? I’ve seen Eileen Douglas mentioned - I used them via eBay but they were quick to deliver and quick to refund after I sent back a very poorly fitting fly rug a few months ago, so I would recommend. I had a bad experience with one tack shop who I don’t believe actually had the item I bought in stock, however I have now been refunded - their TrustPilot reviews are full of similar experiences unfortunately too so I recommend having a quick look at these for any shop you buy from, as I remember seeing a review saying someone had also bought everything for their new horse but hadn’t received it by the time the horse arrived! The company did refund me eventually and I think their customer service representatives seem to be working hard to satisfy other complaints, but do be aware.

In terms of second hand, I found https://www.preownedhorserugs.co.uk/ to be great (although my horse is a very popular size so have to be quick)! They sometimes have free delivery but not sure about returns. Otherwise, EBay is amazing and you’ll soon find yourself sitting down in the evening to think “hmm what else can I buy for my horse (that I probably don’t need)?” - shopping for my horse is my new and favourite hobby!

Good luck and I can’t wait for pictures!
Thanks you. Very helpful.
I know what you mean about jinxing it. All I’ve bought so far is a bit and a stable rug. Everything else will sit in a shopping basket until the vet calls me Monday afternoon.
I’m going to be gutted if it doesn’t work out with him. Buying a horse is harder than buying a flat. ?.
Also trying to buy second hand (for money AND to try and be a bit green!) where possible. I’m not really a person into spending £70 on a saddle pad!
there’s definitely a gap in the market for designed horse goods that aren’t based seemingly on the same designs as a strip club. All that gross diamanté and satin! Haha. Things have changed since I last owned in (Erk) 1993.

Kaylum

Visit site
I use to sell a lot of rugs to preownedhorserugs they use to collect our ripped rugs and mend them and sell them. I sell tack for our charity if any one ever needs anything we get different things donated all the time.

sarahmac77

Visit site
I use to sell a lot of rugs to preownedhorserugs they use to collect our ripped rugs and mend them and sell them. I sell tack for our charity if any one ever needs anything we get different things donated all the time.
Is there a place or site to look at what you have?

EventingMum

Visit site
Just bear in mind some brands of rugs will come up big or small so you can't always guarantee the same size in every brand will fit a particular horse, also some will suit big shoulder or small necks etc more than others.

NLPM

Visit site
How exciting! Fingers crossed for good news tomorrow.

I like all the shops mentioned, especially GS Equestrian, Redpost and Hope Valley Saddlery.

EventingMum's comment is a really valid one (my narrow gelding is a nightmare to fit and I've wasted a lot of money on rugs which are the right length but then gape around his shoulders). It might best to buy a 'test rug' first to check the size before buying the full wardrobe - most of those sites have free shipping. Or maybe there'd be someone on your yard who might let you try their horse's rugs for size?

Dubsie

Visit site
Try your local horse rescue charity. SAFE is ours, they get donated hundreds of rugs that they cannot possibly use, these are cleaned, repaired and sold to provide funds. Also good for miscellaneous tack. All very reasonably priced to clear.

sarahmac77

Visit site
How exciting! Fingers crossed for good news tomorrow.

I like all the shops mentioned, especially GS Equestrian, Redpost and Hope Valley Saddlery.

EventingMum's comment is a really valid one (my narrow gelding is a nightmare to fit and I've wasted a lot of money on rugs which are the right length but then gape around his shoulders). It might best to buy a 'test rug' first to check the size before buying the full wardrobe - most of those sites have free shipping. Or maybe there'd be someone on your yard who might let you try their horse's rugs for size?
Thanks - sadly it was bad news and I am sadder than I thought I would be. Actually a bit heartbroken.
Feel like i will never find anything....

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just bear in mind some brands of rugs will come up big or small so you can't always guarantee the same size in every brand will fit a particular horse, also some will suit big shoulder or small necks etc more than others.
? this is
Thanks - sadly it was bad news and I am sadder than I thought I would be. Actually a bit heartbroken.
Feel like i will never find anything....
what was the outcome?
Is it a definite no? Probably a sensible decision if so but I’ve bought 2 vetting failures and had 6/7 years out of the last one. He’s just retired aged 20 but the failed vetting certainly never effected him.

sarahmac77

Visit site
Sarcoids... but quite a few - I knew about two that were being tied off and quite big and angry but that was reflected in his price n- however the vet found more and I didn't want to take the risk. He's a really lovely horse. ?

outdoor girl

Visit site
Don't worry. When I was looking I went to see about 29 horses and rode about 25 of them. I also had 4 fail the vet before I found the right one just when I'd given up for the winter. The right horse for you is out there. You just have to find it. :)

sarahmac77

Visit site
Good god. I don’t think I’ve the energy!
well. Forgive the ‘pun’ but I’m back on the horse and seeing one tomorrow and two on Saturday. ??

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Local FB horse groups are where I get everything. You can put out wanted ads. You often get people selling up everything.
Sorry about the vetting - you will find your horse.