Equijewel vs Omega Rice?

lucy_108

Visit site
I have a lovely, but lean, 5yo TB who came off the track roughly 12 weeks ago.
He is currently on a diet that has been very gradually introduced: at good grass for 10-12 hours a day, ad lib hay at night, 2 x feeds a day consisting of Allen & Page Soothe & Gain and Spillers Conditioning Fibre. I was very very keen to keep his diet simple and palatable but I do feel he still needs a little more to help him put on some weight. His muscle tone and condition is building nicely with steady work on our hills and in the arena, but it is weight that he is needing a bit more of.
I'm not looking for advice on my feeding plan for him - I am working with my vets on this, but they suggested either Equijewel or Omega Rice to add to his diet to give him that little bit extra we're looking for (esp heading into winter). I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on both, if there is one they would recommend over the other? I'm not bothered about shelling out for Equijewel if it genuinely is better than Omega Rice.
Also, this horse has not shown me any evidence that he'd get ''hot'' from feeding, but I wouldn't like to take that risk - has anyone had any experience with either of these having 'heating' effects?
TIA!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've only used Equijewel and I would really rate it for adding condition I have fed it to Arab's without any silly behaviour and used it on a few warmbloods without any problems, the good thing is you don't need to feed loads of it to have the right effect.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Probably comes down to your personal preference, i have fed both. for my TB i chose Omega Rice as i wanted the benefits of linseed for him and he won't eat the micronised stuff. I didn't find that he went silly on it.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve used omega rice on and off over the years, it’s my go to for calorie top up and never had any adverse effect from it.

Equijewel is higher overall in calories but then it’s more expensive so not much overall difference in cost effectiveness. I prefer the linseed inclusion in omega which is why I opt for that.

dixie

Visit site
I've only used Equijewel and have found its done the job I wanted - which is to put on condition and no silliness.
It does seem quite cost effective and you don't have to feed that much.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I feed my 26yr old micronised linseed all year anyway but last winter added Equijewel on top and it really helped him gain condition. I didn’t find it made him silly. I’ve fed Omega Rice before with no issues.

However he’s been really naughty at the moment (bucked my 72yr old sharer off ?) but can’t put that down to feed as he’s on less than normal and no equijewel.

Eldridgeb

New User
Visit site
the best and cheapest way to put condition on a horse without heating it up is feeding oil. Soaked lupins do a MARVELOUS job also.
Keep it simple: Good quality oaten hay/chaff, soaked lupins, oil, equillibrium, salt. We also feed dolomite. Our horses stay fat and shiney on a minimum intake.

sunleychops

Visit site
the best and cheapest way to put condition on a horse without heating it up is feeding oil. Soaked lupins do a MARVELOUS job also.
Keep it simple: Good quality oaten hay/chaff, soaked lupins, oil, equillibrium, salt. We also feed dolomite. Our horses stay fat and shiney on a minimum intake.

All depends which oil and what quantity you feed it in to be fair. These pelleted options are a much easier, mess free palatable way to have a high fat inclusion in a diet.

For the record Keyflow do a rice bran pellet called Key-Plus which would be worth looking at.

D&H make Build & Glow but that changed from a rice bran based product to a heavily wheat based product so I'd probably avoid that one.