Equine charities - who to donate to?

bigboyrocky

Visit site
I have an idea of something I'd like to do to raise some money for charity, however I'm unsure which charities to go with.

Can anyone suggest any charities that are really worthwhile causes that might really benefit from some donations (£££)?

paddy555

Visit site
Prince Fluffy Kareem. Go onto FB and call up their page. When you have seen the horses you will see why some of us on here donate.
There are usually lots of comments about keeping these horses alive and it would be better to PTS. Many of PKF appeals are for euthanasia drugs to PTS hopeless cases. It is not easy putting horses to sleep in Egypt, shooting is not an option and the cost of drugs to do so is high. If they don't get PTS they continue to suffer. I'm sure these horses would welcome your help.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Was also going to say PFK. Some of the horses they get in are in a heartbreaking state but they are realistic about the state of the owner's lives and the need to try and help get the horses back on the road if possible, while helping to teach the owners how to look after them better at the same time. I think they do an incredibly tough job.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I read PFK's recent appeal, which was for drugs to put horses to sleep humanely. I was going to make a donation, but that put me off. Can anyone explain why they can't use a captive bolt gun, which would cost nothing after initial purchase?

For the moment, it would be RDA for me. Life transforming for people who need it more than anyone else.

milliepops

Visit site
I read PFK's recent appeal, which was for drugs to put horses to sleep humanely. I was going to make a donation, but that put me off. Can anyone explain why they can't use a captive bolt gun, which would cost nothing after initial purchase?

I'm not an authority but I have seen posts in the past from them saying that they firstly were unsure that they would be able to source one and get it sent over without it being confiscated or causing repercussions for them
second that none of them have ever used one before and it is important to get the placement correct to ensure humane euthanasia
third that euthanasia of animals is a very controversial subject in egypt and they do have owners that don't agree to have the horses pts without a bit of a battle even when it's obvious to us/them that the horse has no chance (open fractures etc). so to use drugs to appear to send the horse off peacefully is the easiest way to get agreement.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

For the moment, it would be RDA for me. Life transforming for people who need it more than anyone else.

They’re not allowed to, legally. So it has to be drugs.

Kaylum

Visit site
Hope Pastures one of the small independent charities trying to do their best without much money. We were talking about Cracker the other day the little pony rescued by HHO that went to HP

paddy555

Visit site
below is text I have copied from PFK's FB page. It explains about PTS . Hopefully it will answer YCBM's query and many others also ask about this. (It is dated 8/9/19 on the FB page and is just the quickest explanation I could find although they have explained why many times in the past.

Dear PFK family
Now that the weekend is coming to an end, we are continuing our quest for important euthanasia drugs. As per the original post:

PEACE FUNDRAISER 2.0

Mayday mayday!
Dear supporters, we urgently need your help! We have just been offered a large batch of euthanasia drugs that we are desperate to get our hands on.

As most of you know, the only way we can provide humane euthanasia for the horses is to use anaesthetics meant for humans. We cannot shoot them due to lack of suitable weapon, proper weapon training and the fact that we are surrounded by families, not in a remote farm. These drugs are therefore our only hope to let the horses pass peacefully and painfree.

An average underweight horse usually needs 12 to 16 bottles. We have now been offered a record amount of 2000 bottles at LE 175 per bottle - that's 50 LE cheaper than last time we bought them! In short, this is a rare opportunity which can assure a peaceful ending for the horses that have no life quality left. On the photos you can see a tiny horse that we put to sleep yesterday. We are not sure if his hindleg problems started with laminitis or ringbone, but the end result was a crippled pony with pain in all four legs and with a hunched back. He could barely walk so we gave him lots of food and then we hugged him goodbye. He is only one of many, many horses that deserve to be free of pain.

We therefore ask you to please, please help us purchase as many bottles as possible. One bottle is as mentioned LE 175, aka GBP 9 / USD 11 / EURO 10 / AUS 16 / NZD 17 / NOK 96.
2000 bottles sounds like a lot, but it's not if many of us help. One of Mizo's photos last week got 5400 likes. If 4000 of these donate for just half a bottle, we'll have reached our goal already.

We will have to pay this on top of PFK's daily running costs. In order to keep euthanasia donations separate, please mark your donation "PEACE" so that Emma can know what it's meant for. PLEASE do not write any reference to drugs/PTS as the banks don’t like it and return the funds back to you!

babymare

Visit site
Another for PFK. They do amazing work not only in taking in the poor souls that come to their door but also in educating owners which is crucial part of their work.

Mule

Visit site
I'm not an authority but I have seen posts in the past from them saying that they firstly were unsure that they would be able to source one and get it sent over without it being confiscated or causing repercussions for them
second that none of them have ever used one before and it is important to get the placement correct to ensure humane euthanasia
third that euthanasia of animals is a very controversial subject in egypt and they do have owners that don't agree to have the horses pts without a bit of a battle even when it's obvious to us/them that the horse has no chance (open fractures etc). so to use drugs to appear to send the horse off peacefully is the easiest way to get agreement.
I've read that the unfavorable view of euthanasia is why the horses injured in endurance are sometimes fitted with prosthesis. Apparently it's a bit of a taboo in India too.

milliepops

Visit site
I've read that the unfavorable view of euthanasia is why the horses injured in endurance are sometimes fitted with prosthesis. Apparently it's a bit of a taboo in India too.
yup, it's a very different viewpoint to that we have here.

Mule

Visit site
yup, it's a very different viewpoint to that we have here.
I find cultural differences like this very interesting. It's not something you'd ever think of. I think stuff like that is more interesting than different food and music and the more obvious things.

Last edited:

sport horse

Visit site
MDIRF The Mark Davies Injured Riders Fund which helps anyone injured in a horse related accident get the right help and support. Anyone who has a horse and/rides should support this charity as we are all vulnerable.