EQUINE CRIME PREVENTION

irene28

Visit site
You are right postcode everything. Some yards broken into had all rugs and equipment that was post coded left in heaps. They couldn't sell them on so left them.

Chamfrom

Visit site
Staffordshire horsewatch gives a unique reference number to members that want them. This means no one can find your address through the post code - and the number is against your details on the police database - and its totally free!!!! They have a facebook page for anyone that is interested :)
Ok so it may not always stop thieves from taking things but it does mean that you can prove its yours especially if it is recovered and the offender is trying to say it is theirs :)

princestar

Visit site
My horse is freezemarked, never wears a headcollar in the field and I brought some rug patches so in the winter when his freezemark is physically covered by his rug, its an orange patch that says 'horse thieves beware this horse is freezemarked and can be identified by the police' also, I put my postcode on my rugs, on the inside of the chest I mark my name and mobile number (incase the rug is stolen or if my horse was to go wandering I'd hope someone would check there as quite a few rugs now have the contact details patch inside. I also have freezemark warning stickers inside my car, they cosr £1 each and I have one on each side on the back doors, to warn anyone my horses are freezemarked and can be identified.

I had owned my horse 3 weeks and they took every single item I had for him, even haynets, rugs, cooler, buckets, exercise sheets and it was all brand new in the bag. Even a brand new leather bridle. Now I take everything home with me and I added tack to my insurance policy for an extra £1 a month which covers for £1750 worth of tack!!

***always call the police***
I had 2 thefts in 2 months and each time I had a crime number and sent them all of my details of everything stolen. The officer told me, 'IF YOU DONT REPORT IT, WE DONT KNOW ITS STILL HAPPENING!!'

Also I was at the yard in the dark around 6pm but we have no lights - I was feeding the horses when I saw some lights at the bottom of my field (between me and my car) and so I turned my torch off and listened and they were whistelling and calling my horses!! Then they started walking round the field, so I called the police, dialed 999, said I'm on my own, isolated, I want someone here NOW. Within 4 or so minutes I had 2 plain clothes officers driving round my field with flood lights on, then had a german shepard and handler and then the spaniel looking for these lads. Next thing, we had the police helicopter!!! Needless to say, I left reassured that they are taking me a bit more seriously!! But I'd only wanted to get to my car haha.

Go to the yard together, if anythings broken into don't touch it, keep gates padlocked, but remember to chain the opposite side as you can usually pop the gate off the hinges whilst leaving the padlock still in place!!

giveitago

Visit site
Crime prevention meeting in Guildford, 9th March 2013

Advice Inc,

tack marking
Surrey police
SAFE
Buildings and belongings security
Microchipping
Immobilise etc,

See my other post in The South East Forum.

skyrock

Visit site
Just a thought and possibly a silly idea but if mobile phones can have GPS -- why not horses?? the device must be tiny to fit in a phone, people can now track their children via the phone/ computer or so I have heard. So why not horses. Must admit I know nothing about the technology involved. Any ideas ??

Jof234

New User
Visit site
I know this has been discussed many times but it is a very upsetting occurrence- my sister found a plait in her pony's mane. It was a proper three strand plait with a piece of what looked like heather but was hay colour intertwined in the plait and a piece of hair wrapped round the bottom to secure it all together. It was a small plait and would have been hard to see if my sisters didn't try to get the piece of hay out. There's just no way it's a wind plait so what else could it be other than gypsies tagging horses to steal? We're in a pretty secluded area but our drive does lead to a main road. Both ponies are microchipped but I've been told thieves will run a strong magnet over the microchip to scramble it and thus prevent it from working? This is a very upsetting situation and we really don't know what to do. We have cameras and security buzzers as well as 3 guard dogs which will attack but that hasn't stopped them coming and plaiting the mane. We will happily fight for our ponies but these people are sneaks and seem determined to get what they want no matter what. Something that also leads us toward thinking its gypsies is that last summer my sister found a man dressed in dark clothes with his hood up in the field with the ponies with his hand out to them. I know it's over a year ago but does appear more likely that the two are linked. Can someone please shed some light? We are in the Ledbury area.
Thank you.

jm2k

Visit site
I know this has been discussed many times but it is a very upsetting occurrence- my sister found a plait in her pony's mane. It was a proper three strand plait with a piece of what looked like heather but was hay colour intertwined in the plait and a piece of hair wrapped round the bottom to secure it all together. It was a small plait and would have been hard to see if my sisters didn't try to get the piece of hay out. There's just no way it's a wind plait so what else could it be other than gypsies tagging horses to steal? We're in a pretty secluded area but our drive does lead to a main road. Both ponies are microchipped but I've been told thieves will run a strong magnet over the microchip to scramble it and thus prevent it from working? This is a very upsetting situation and we really don't know what to do. We have cameras and security buzzers as well as 3 guard dogs which will attack but that hasn't stopped them coming and plaiting the mane. We will happily fight for our ponies but these people are sneaks and seem determined to get what they want no matter what. Something that also leads us toward thinking its gypsies is that last summer my sister found a man dressed in dark clothes with his hood up in the field with the ponies with his hand out to them. I know it's over a year ago but does appear more likely that the two are linked. Can someone please shed some light? We are in the Ledbury area.
Thank you.

I come across two knots in my old Arabs mane this morning - never a panic or worry. If i were to sit down fields or move them every time i found one - id live in the car in the field.
TBH, its very old school basics of theft, but now all they would do is take a photo and send it on camera lol.
modern technology has surpassed.

HappyHooves

Visit site
Whilst it may be that there is a section of our communities who are more likely to steal a horse than others I feel that comments like this just show a prejudice... Something that also leads us toward thinking its gypsies is that last summer my sister found a man dressed in dark clothes with his hood up in the field with the ponies with his hand out to them..... !

Emily Blunt

New User
Visit site
we are encountering robberies of tack all over right now particularly here in suffolk, Suffolk police have kick begun horsewatch which has as of now keep a few of my companions having their tack stolen just by surrendering them the heads, postcoding is a smart thought i have every one of my seats done!

Tina17

Visit site
Some words of wisdom from Hampshire Horsewatch

Stolen Horses are a horse owner’s worse nightmare. There have been a number of recent incident with thieves targeting Shetlands or perhaps similar in size.

Theft of horses is very difficult to prevent for all the obvious reasons. However there are deterrents to prevent thefts and importantly identify horses to owners and this is freeze marking. The decision to do so is with YOU the owner. As with all stolen property the item taken is invariably only worth something if someone is prepared to buy it. So as horse owners or someone thinking of buying one only do so if you know who you are buying from.

YOU - the community have it in your power to prevent many horse thefts by closing down the possibility of a sale. YOU know that at present Shetlands are being stolen......if you know someone who is selling, advertising for sale Shetlands make some enquiries and if needs be report the matter to the police. Genuine sellers of horses have nothing to fear. YOU the community are best placed to enquire and investigate on behalf of your fellow horse owners who may be the victims of a horse theft.

Always remember never to put yourself in any danger if enquiring into any matters. Gathering information and passing it on to the police or your county Horsewatch will be just as useful.

Another worrying trend following on from the theft of horses is that the thieves will contact the owners of the horse saying they know where the horse is or can arrange for its recovery. The owner is only too grateful to recover the horse that they will gladly give up money as a reward! If YOU should be in this position seek advice from your police. Always make sure YOU know who your investigating officer is so you can keep him/her informed.

Hi

How can you tell if a a horse is stolen? I've recently purchased a 15.2hh coloured horse through what I thought was a respectable site ( preloved) this is where the advertiser published this horse for sale it had a link to their stables. ( meadow stables Essex) yep Sam pheby. Turns out not only is the horse sick but is not the horse sold on the passport?

My passport details states My-Anni I would like to trace last owner details of the passport. But would also like to trace last owners of the horse I have purchased that doesn't go with this passport other than meadow stables where I purchased it from..

How do I do this? I'm advised via my vet that micro chip data is hard to trace as there over 70 organisations that don't link together? On top of that I've found that owning more than one horse involves number of passport agency's which (if) a society they request the passport returned to Check change of ownership where GOV sites request u do on line & they check nothing!! What a farce !! If defra wanted this in place surely it should be 1 x organisation and the return of the passport with a valid receipt of purchase should help the ones that don't register.

I'm not sure if my horse is stolen? But wouldn't like to think someone out there looking for it either so would like some help to trace the horses owners just to be safe can anyone help me please

Thanks for reading

KatrinaAbbott

New User
Visit site
Morning everyone,

On the night of the 21/22 August two trailers were stolen from where I keep my horse in Marden, Maidstone, Kent. Both trailers were secured and the thieves went to great lengths to remove hitch locks and wheel clamps and still got away with the trailers.

My trailer is a Silver HB506 with the serial number - 5129515 and the chassis number - SCKD00000G5129515

The trailer was also fitted with sliding haynet ties and is in very good condition.

If you have any information at all, or come accross it, I would be grateful if you could contact the police. The crime reference number is -
YY/23904/17