Equine flu outbreak - anyone else thinking about curtailing plans?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Joined
26 July 2008
Messages
11,967
I think venues will be cautious, at the moment it's clear that there is no expectation from any of the affiliated bodies that shows will be cancelled... yet. As such, i am planning to continue as normal, I don't let mine get close to other horses routinely though obv with a disease like flu they don't need to be in actual contact. I am kind of expecting things to start getting cancelled in the future though.
 

FestiveFuzz

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 January 2008
Messages
3,754
Location
Surrey
I think venues will be cautious, at the moment it's clear that there is no expectation from any of the affiliated bodies that shows will be cancelled... yet. As such, i am planning to continue as normal, I don't let mine get close to other horses routinely though obv with a disease like flu they don't need to be in actual contact. I am kind of expecting things to start getting cancelled in the future though.
I suspect you're right. M never gets close to others at events but like you say, it is more of a worry with airborne bugs. We've got our first affiliated comp in a couple of weeks so will just see how the land lies closer to the time I guess.
 

conniegirl

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 November 2004
Messages
4,452
tbh our yard owner has asked us to consider not going to any events/taking the horses off the yard unless it is absolutely essential.
She has not yet put the yard in lock down but has suggested that it may come to that depending on further updates from vets.
 

Nicnac

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 May 2007
Messages
5,503
Keeping a watching brief. Due to compete Saturday but vaccs are over 6 months old and not vaccinating this week if competing Saturday... No cases afaik in my county.

I don't how anyone can say their horse doesn't get close to others at an event? Warm ups are pretty close proximity for an airborne virus.
 

conniegirl

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 November 2004
Messages
4,452
Keeping a watching brief. Due to compete Saturday but vaccs are over 6 months old and not vaccinating this week if competing Saturday... No cases afaik in my county.

I don't how anyone can say their horse doesn't get close to others at an event? Warm ups are pretty close proximity for an airborne virus.
flu vaccines are effective for at least a year.
 

FestiveFuzz

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 January 2008
Messages
3,754
Location
Surrey
Just seen this on our BD region page...

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!! PLEASE READ!!! British Dressage have prepared the following statement for you. Please note all Regional competitions, clinics and training will carry on as planned.

BEF advises horse owners after equine flu outbreak
Following British Horseracing’s decision to cancel all racing today (7 February) the British Equestrian Federation (BEF) is closely monitoring the situation. Veterinary experts have advised that it is not necessary to cancel other equine events at this time, but we will issue a further update once the full extent of the outbreak is known.
In the meantime, we recommend that all owners follow the guidelines below as a precaution and ensure that all vaccinations are fully up to date. If your horse is currently vaccinated, we recommend a booster if it has been longer than six months since your horse’s last vaccination. However please note there must be seven clear days before competing if you do decide to have a booster.

Actions for owners to take:
• It’s crucial for all horse and pony owners to be vigilant and follow recommended guidelines on how to detect and prevent the spread of this infectious disease.
• Look out for signs of disease which can include high temperature, cough, snotty nose, enlarged glands (under the lower jaw), swollen or sore eyes, depression, loss of appetite and swelling in the lower legs.
• If you see any of these signs, isolate the horse and call your vet immediately.
• It’s essential that any horses showing signs of possible equine flu, or horses that might have been in contact with possibly infected horses, do not travel to competitions or other events where there will be groups of horses. If your horse has been in contact with an infected horse we suggest that you should take veterinary advice.
• We advise that horses are vaccinated with a booster for equine flu with a vaccine that contains the Florida Clade 1. There are two such vaccines currently licensed in the UK, ProteqFlu and Equilis Prequenza. If your horse is currently vaccinated, but it has been longer than six months since the last vaccination, we recommend that you discuss a booster with your veterinary surgeon.
The BEF also has guidance on its website regarding equine infectious diseases and is urging owners to take the necessary precautions to avoid their horses becoming infected.
Further information
Follow @equiflunet
www.equiflunet.org.uk
www.bef.co.uk/Detail.aspx?page=Horse-Health-Biosecurity
ENDS
Media enquiries: please contact BEF Head of Communications Matt Williams 07595 763908 / matt.williams@bef.co.uk
 

Laafet

Active Member
Joined
17 June 2006
Messages
4,269
Location
Suffolk
The yard in the same village as my horse has it, mixture of vaccinated and unvaccinated TBs. We are not overly concerned as they are on lock down. Mine is due his jab next week so that is booked in anyway. The vaccination thing is a bit of a joke imo, my horse has never had his passport checked and he's done BD and BS for 8 years, although he has always been legit. I had already planned at the beginning of the year to not be out until the end of March so am glad that's the plan now.
 

Rowreach

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 May 2007
Messages
8,480
Location
Northern Ireland
flu vaccines are effective for at least a year.
The trouble is that flu vaccines don't protect against every strain of the virus. I eventually lost a fantastic horse because he caught something (either hunting or at a clinic) which was suppressed due to his vaccinations so I didn't realise he was ill, but then caused other issues which were more obvious. I'd been managing his arthritis for years (treatments, medication, exercise programme) but enforced time off made him lame and he never came right.

I'd be avoiding taking mine anywhere if I lived over there.
 

Nicnac

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 May 2007
Messages
5,503
flu vaccines are effective for at least a year.
So why have vaccinated horses contracted the virus?

The advice from the official channels recommend a booster if vaccinated over six months ago and to ensure it's either ProteqFlu or Equilis Prequenza which contain Florida Clade 1 - the current strain of the virus.
 

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
Joined
31 December 2008
Messages
44,846
Location
Cambridge
Because it’s changed, I’m surprised that in general people seem to accept this for human flu much more than they seem to be for the equine version. (Not you nicnac)

Definitely check what brand your horses last vaccine was and I hope the vets are well stocked up :/

I wouldn’t go out from here, given proximity I might have done from somerset
 

Tiddlypom

Well-Known Member
Joined
17 July 2013
Messages
8,319
Location
In between the Midlands and the North
Definitely check what brand your horses last vaccine was and I hope the vets are well stocked up
ester, do you know how to search for the flu strains covered by different brands/batches of vaccine?

One ned was vaccinated on 11/1/19 with Prequenza batch A122A01.
The other two were vaccinated on the same day with Prequenza Te batch A240A01.

ETA I'm imagining that my vets are being inundated with phone calls, one of the cases is in Cheshire.
 

VRIN

Active Member
Joined
7 February 2008
Messages
2,236
ester, do you know how to search for the flu strains covered by different brands/batches of vaccine?

One ned was vaccinated on 11/1/19 with Prequenza batch A122A01.
The other two were vaccinated on the same day with Prequenza Te batch A240A01.

ETA I'm imagining that my vets are being inundated with phone calls, one of the cases is in Cheshire.
How do you find out where the cases are and where about in Cheshire?
 

Tiddlypom

Well-Known Member
Joined
17 July 2013
Messages
8,319
Location
In between the Midlands and the North
Last edited:

oldie48

Well-Known Member
Joined
15 April 2013
Messages
3,806
Location
South Worcestershire
Rose was due on 12/03 but I have her booked in for next Monday. I shall keep on competing for the time being, we seem to be flu free here TM but we have racing yards in the area that may have had horses at Ludlow which are possibly on lock down now/
 

Red-1

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 February 2013
Messages
7,066
Location
Yorkshire
I have changed my previous answer as I called my vets and they seem to be taking this a lot more seriously than usual and are moving our vaccination appointment up as she was not vaccinated with one of the ones that covers this strain.

They are also recommending 2 shots 4-6 weeks apart with the correct one, even though she is still in date with one for different strains.
 
Last edited:

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
Joined
31 December 2008
Messages
44,846
Location
Cambridge
Prequenza is one of the two that should be covering the FC1 strain.
That and proteq flu.

I wasn’t aware until today that they don’t all include it.
 

ycbm

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 January 2015
Messages
16,484
I don't know where in Cheshire. ETA It's at Donald McCain's yard at Cholmondeley, which is pretty darn close to me, eek. Three horses positive.

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/new...trainer-donald-mccain-confirms-cases-15796151

https://www.aht.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Equiflunet-outbreaks-2019-v2.pdf

View attachment 29471


New cases in Cheshire on 6/2 since that was published. In vaccinated horses.


I'm going nowhere until it's clear, I don't need to take the risk, so I won't.
 

Bernster

Well-Known Member
Joined
14 August 2011
Messages
4,657
Location
London
Yes probably. I need to check his passport as I thought it was up to date but now I’m not sure! Got a booster booked tmrw as it would be over 6 months but probably won’t go out Saturday. Will do next weekend though once he’s jabbed.
 

FestiveFuzz

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 January 2008
Messages
3,754
Location
Surrey
M is due in June but spoke to our vet this afternoon and he's now coming out to give him a booster next week and will probably stay home until then just to play it safe.
 

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Joined
26 July 2008
Messages
11,967
I don't how anyone can say their horse doesn't get close to others at an event? Warm ups are pretty close proximity for an airborne virus.
I have 2 horses that doesn't tolerate horses being close to them (one freaks out, one starts fights) so we generally try to keep our distance, is what I mean - some people stand around chatting, horses sniffing noses, that kind of thing. I tend to pick venues with either huge warm ups or multiple warm ups so while we might pass others, it's less close contact than some may be used to.

Fully accept that there is still a risk, I think we have to be guided by vets and official bodies as we were with the EHV1 outbreak some years back.. We have regionals next week - if there is a feeling of increased risk in this area which is currently unaffected, I feel sure that BD and the venue will cancel the show.
 

OrangeAndLemon

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 October 2015
Messages
1,071
Location
Cheshire
Our yard is requesting all horses not vaccinated in the last 6 months are given a booster. They aren't locking down but are closely monitoring and discussing with the vet because we have an all year round farm ride.
 

scats

Well-Known Member
Joined
11 September 2007
Messages
2,851
Millie is booked for her annual jab next Friday, but Polly isn’t due til April. I’m considering bringing hers forward.

I won’t be taking them anywhere for the forseeable.
 

Fiona

Well-Known Member
Joined
14 July 2001
Messages
8,770
Location
N. Ireland
I've just discovered that my three, while vaccinated recently, weren't done with either of the two recomended vaccines.

They were done with zoetis equip ft.

Hence I haven't gone to my RC jumping tonight, and have messaged my vet for advice...

Fiona
 

Meredith

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 February 2013
Messages
1,279
A lesson I was to have on Saturday at a livery yard about 15 miles away has been cancelled.

My other local livery yard has cancelled all lessons and competitions.

I have a lesson provisionally booked at a third venue for next Wednesday. I don’t think I will go as it is close to a racecourse that had possibly infected horses racing there.
 

Meredith

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 February 2013
Messages
1,279
A lesson I was to have on Saturday at a livery yard about 15 miles away has been cancelled.

My other local livery yard has cancelled all lessons and competitions.

I have a lesson provisionally booked at a third venue for next Wednesday. I don’t think I will go as it is close to a racecourse that had possibly infected horses racing there.
Edited to add... I booked a vet visit for the annual flu / tet for my horse last week for next Thursday before the infection was found in the racehorses.
 
Top