S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, I think they might've meant the owner coming down with a disease
wink.gif

As for the rest of it, I agree with you
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that is the case, then the responsible owner has a contingency plan in place - I do and they are also detailed in my will!!

Tia

Visit site
SN - you have hit the nail on the head. As I tried to say earlier, all responsible horse owners have contingency plans.....anyone who doesn't is, in my opinion, certainly not a responsible owner.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
SN - you have hit the nail on the head. As I tried to say earlier, all responsible horse owners have contingency plans.....anyone who doesn't is, in my opinion, certainly not a responsible owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

My horse are not the only 4 legged people to figure, but also my dog!! If I had children dependant on me, then they too would figure in my plans. ANYTHING - even Fish - should be considered by responsible owners!!

Sherman

New User
Visit site

SAD NEWS!!!!!!!

I'm very sorry to have to say that the last three Comtois colts that we were trying to save left for Italy on Thursday!

This was despite the fact there were homes and purchasers for them but in the end the owner didn't wait for the arrangements to be made for payment to be made and collection of the colts.

These are the difficulties we have to face in France when dealing with some owners.If the meat lorry turns up prior to payment being made the horses are gone!!

Apparently they are in Turin now and will be slaughtered on Monday......where they are kept until that time is anyones guess.
This is the very sad reality of the horse meat trade and why each and every horse that is saved from the whole traumatic experience that occurs BEFORE they get to die is so important to us.

ISHmad

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

You have at times-with an intellectual arrogance attempted to intimidate indivuduals who have joined this thread and others (though not always in a polite or respectful manner).

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL. I have not intimidated anyone on THIS thread, let alone on other threads. I am not intellectual, but thank you for the compliment. But am unfailingly polite and respectful to those who are the same. It is nice to be able to have a sensible discussion with Sherman, EMW and Equine Section on here who as heads of their organisations are doing a great job at being factual and advising where the peaks and troughts of this are. It may not change anyone's minds about taking a rescue but then again it just might. If nothing else they are doing a wonderful job at highlighting the Hook Not Hoof campaign and I once again commend them.

Equine Section I will definitely continue to support ILPH and EMW plus Brookes. I noticed from one of the earlier posts that EMW are supporting Equine Rescue France so am assuming as part of that the support extends to yourselves too? In terms of agreements for the horses, what to do if things go wrong etc.

I have another question too Equine Section if I may. Before the rescues arrive in the UK are they tested for any possible diseases etc which are contagious and could be spread to UK horses? And if not, is that something which you and the other rescue organisation could help with? That would reduce the risk of a sick rescue horse travelling when it isn't really up to it, and also reduce the risk of a UK horse catching a disease too.

Sherman, I can only imagine how you must feel knowing you had homes for some other horses but their owner still sending them for meat. To not have anyone wanting to take them is one thing, for that to happen is quite another.

lisacarrera

Visit site
Hello again ISH-MAD,

Thank you for bringing these very important issues up! Id much rather people ask these things so thank you.

In answer to your question bout checks for diseases. The horses now carry health cert's issued prior to travelling. We are now setting up a system where we have a central point with 1 vet so we can have group vetting done. This will keep the cost's down for owner's re health cert's and disease control prior to entering the UK. The horses can't travel without the health cert so all owners must have this done either privately or with our help. Yet cannot force them to test for diseases prior to travel, however this is why we feel by using a central base with 1 vet it will lower the costs most if not all will be more than happy to have the test's run. There is no known cases of disease in any of the horses to date however i do not want to be complacent and feel it is crucial to protecting our own home bred 4 legged friends.
So yes i think it is something we could help with, Ideally once we set up as a non profit we can possibly even foot the bill as to encourage these work's to be done. also for gelding etc.

ES is not related to EMW, however have worked very closely with the founder of ERF and im sure will continue to do so. However the more the merrier the larger the voice.

Kind Regards - Equine Section

ISHmad

Visit site
Thanks for that information Equine Section. It is really interesting to be finding out more and more about the level of thought, care, attention to detail and the like which goes on "behind the scenes" so to speak.

If Equine Rescue France and yourselves can find a vet to do a central group vetting then that would be great to keep the costs down etc. Have I read your post correctly though in that people don't have to have these tests done? Or are the health certificates compulsory prior to travel? Sorry about all these questions, don't know anything about importing horses to be honest!

Hadn't even considered that some of these horses aren't gelded either TBH. Just hope that people taking them on entire have the appropriate experience to handle them.

EMW are a true credit to the horse world with what they do, so you are very lucky indeed to have worked closely with their founder.

Whilst personally if I had any rescue it would be one from the sales here I do applaud what you are doing for horses in peril, wherever in the world they may be. And will most definitely continue to support the Hook Not Hoof campaign. I am not a vegetarian, although as an out and out horse lover obviously the thought of eating horsemeat is for me personally abhorrent. (But I know to many that will represent double standards). Nothing will stop the horsemeat trade, any more than we would stop the eating of beef, pork, lamb and the like here in the UK. But anything which stops these poor horses travelling for hours on end in such appalling conditions deserves, and indeed has got, an awful lot of support.

Have drafted out letters to various MP's and the like, but wondered if yourselves, Equine Rescue France or EMW have a letter which people have been using? To make sure that I don't miss any salient points. Thanks

ISHmad

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My apologies ISH_Mad,
i had accidentally crossed my wires with another user!
It's true-you have not been rude and intimidating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for that Blueberry, I do appreciate you posting it.

I think we both care passionately about horses and along the way have stubbed toes when we really didn't need to. Let's take the toe protectors off and get back to what's really important - horses, wherever/whatever they may be.

Thanks again.

lisacarrera

Visit site
Hi Ish mad, yes you read it correctly, it is not compulasry. which is a worry but hopefully with enough encouragement and help from us people will have no objections.

Sorry i meant that we have worked closely with the founder of ERF.

I will dig out some campaign letters and the video were about to release. Let me come back to you on this one, i will also ask the others what they have written and forward to you so you can read and see if theres anything you would like to add to yours.

Yes there is alot behind the scenes to be done it is very difficult but will get easier once set up as non profit.

Not an official announcement but off the record i am at present looking into setting up my own yard for myself and this purpose which will ofcourse provide the safety net for these horses as well as a stop over for gelding etc, with substantial funding efforts we look to also have 1 in France. Once all is official we will make an official announcement for this.

Regards -Equine Section

lisacarrera

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My apologies ISH_Mad,
i had accidentally crossed my wires with another user!
It's true-you have not been rude and intimidating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for that Blueberry, I do appreciate you posting it.

I think we both care passionately about horses and along the way have stubbed toes when we really didn't need to. Let's take the toe protectors off and get back to what's really important - horses, wherever/whatever they may be.

Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absoloutley 100% agree. What we need is to be signing from the same hym sheet which can only gain strength in numbers! and allow us to give the horses the dignity and respect they deserve.

Well done it's very easy to start a fire and very hard to put it out! very glad all has been resolved
smile.gif

wilder

www.parkviewsaddlery.com
ISH-Mad just to let you know us as rescuers also followed strict quarantine rules and strignent vet checks once the horses were home in england as most of us have other horses and wanted all to be safe and healthy, jupiter was sperated from my horses and stabled away from the rest of the horses he was checked for strangles, blood tests and basically a full vetting and after 3 weeks he was given the all clear and then could go next to mine and after a while he was put in with them and has settled well

ISHmad

Visit site
That is good to know Parkviewsaddlery. I find it quite worrying though that the health certificate prior to travel isn't compulsory and hope that as Equine Section said this is something which may possibly be set up in the future. Sadly not everyone is as vigilant or diligent as yourself.

Equine Section I wondered if you had those letters available as yet? Look forward to receiving them when you have.

lisacarrera

Visit site
Hello ISH-MAD,
I cannot find mine, i have it i must but can i locate it no. it will turn up when im looking for something else, However in the meantime i have put up a post on ES and IHDG asking if others can dig out theirs. As soon as i have anything i will post with permission from the author(s). Ok i must raid like mad this is really annoying me now. I haven't sent mine yet but i have a prep done so will post as soon as i locate it.

I have some good news however, we are now about to go non profit so once this is all in place we will be able to do so much more before horses are taken on and after. So exciting but stressful times ahead.

lisacarrera

Visit site
Nope, i couldnt find the origional for the life of me so have redone mine which brings us more upto date re what we (Equine Section) are doing.

So i hope this helps you, feel free to pick out which parts/modify to suit if you feel will be useful in your letter.

Go to http://www.writetothem.com to write to your MP OR MEP's

My name is Lisa Carrera, i am the founder of an about to become non profit organization Equine Section (www.equinesection.com), i write to you to ask for your support in ending the trade for live export for slaughter, we want to replace this with a carcass only trade.

Over 100.000 horses each year are live exported throughout the EU to their deaths! Horses traveling from Spain to be fattened at farms in France only to then take a grueling 3 day trip to Italy for slaughter. These include many mares in foal and or with foal at foot, France wont slaughter pregnant mares so they are sent to Italy also where they fetch a higher price due to the quality of their meat, these mares can be slaughtered right up until 90% of the gestation period. Their rights.. they have none. All equines traveling throughout the EU for slaughter have no entitlement to food water or even rest stops. Many perish in the sheer panic, heat and fight for life during these journey's.

Not our concern some may think, so I'm here to be a voice with your help if you may, to speak louder and to tell everyone it IS our concern. As a civilized country we set standards and examples.

This is outlawed in our own country, only there's a loophole. Our own horses are now being exported for meat via Ireland over to France, Belgium and Mainly to Italy, where not going directly to Italy many still take that road prolonging the suffering.

We are currently now trying to hit this market in the heart of where it lies the EU. Once this is outlawed in the EU, which i do believe will be enforced one day is actively underway we are also closing off the profitable trade through the loophole for our own British equines. It makes sense yes? With a carcass only trade animals will be put to sleep and be carcass driven making the meat trade more profitable as more animals can be exported on the hook than on the hoof. We are backing the ILPH (International League for the Protection of Horses) HOOK not HOOF Campaign run by ILPH Officer Emma Seel. http://www.ilph.org/campaigns_details.asp?id=733

You may have seen the article in our local paper with my new rescue mare saved from such a journey. I hope this was a story you read to the end and therefor now see that this does effect us right here in the United Kingdom.

I am more than happy to invite you to attend our local horse sale/market with me/ By attending you will see first hand the reality and destiny of our own British Equines. Also to invite you to come along and meet one of the horses that has been removed from this live export fate, She is the bay mare on the Equine Section website and is now our mascot. For a brief in-site into our work and for a visual on what we want to stop, i present you the Equine Section Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaduNQORoOE

Your address and tel no:

Kindest Regards
Lisa Carrera - Equine Section

see the website
www.equinesection.com

Join the forum
http://equinesection.proboards92.com/