errr ringworm info?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
so last night had a chat with a mate who is vet training for 3 years so knows her stuff and she said ebs systoms sound alot like ringworm and i have to ring a vet asap in the morning as it can spread to me and all the other horses and the other thing is another horse in the yard has ring worm so i guess ebs seem to have got it
just some question before i ring vets :

how long will it last before it goes?
im guessing i cant ride?
will she have to say in, because shes turned out with over horses and wont go out alone
is this really serious?

yes this is what im going to ask vet too but just wanted some info

Ladyinred

Visit site
I did wonder briefly if it was ringworm, but it doesn't usually bleed unless she has chewed it.

It's a nuisance, and you probably won't be popular with fellow liveries, but it's easy enough to get rid of with a special wash from the vet.

Gooby

Visit site
How long it last depends on the horse and the treatment given. I'm not sure about riding as I've never had one with it. Personally I wouldn't turn out as it can spread between horses and then I'm guessing you wouldn't be popular then if somebody elses horse gets it as it may have come from yours.

My yard owner had it a few months ago so I lent her some cream I have called Propolis creme from Forever living products. It cleared up in a couple of days for her but she caught it very early. Its been tested for the treatment of ringworm in horses and has shown to clear it up in about a half to a third of the time. If you want any more info PM me.

Hope your horse makes a quick recovery :)

wipeout

Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that even if you treat the horse the ringworm can still be caught from wooden fencing etc for years after.

cob1

Visit site
We had an epidemic at my old yard a couple of years ago. It was a weird strain that affect their faces and the vet didnt diagnose correctly on the first horse so it did spread around a few horses.

The main problem was how contagious it is. Once they got the wash from vet (my horse didnt catch it luckily), they had to:

-wash horses down with wash (cant remember how many times)
-treat tack
-stables & anything horse had touched disinfected
-wash rugs/headcollars and disinfect

They were technically allowed to ride, but had to clean and disinfect tack etc after so to be honest it was too much of a hassle and people were not keen on them leaving the stables etc. It took about a month to get all clear.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that even if you treat the horse the ringworm can still be caught from wooden fencing etc for years after.

It can live in wooden fencing for 20 or so years!

We painted or sprayed all fences with strong Jeyes and no other horse caught it (yet)

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
ohh ok so she cant go out for a month or be riden til its healed crazy horse .....
yh does sound like alot of hassle
see its not my fencing so i cant go put stuff on it lol
thanks alot guys

Eriskayowner

Visit site
If it is ringworm, I would certainly offer to do the fences and any other surfaces she may have touched (doors, walls, tie rings etc) as you do not want your horse infecting every other animal on the yard (including humans, dogs, cats etc). You will not be popular.

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Everything she may have come into contact since she's had ringworm (and I don't mean just obvious signs or the bleeding bits) - the fungus would have taken some time to grow.

I would also make some DISCRETE enquiries to find out where she got it from. Not to blame anyone (these things happen) but maybe they could help you?

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
If it is ringworm I would inform ALL horse owners as not only could their horses catch it THEY could too! You will need to disinfect EVERYTHING incl Stable, field fencing (virkon S is reccomended) all your brushes and rugs will need disinfecting aswell as your tack. It is advisable to have a set of clothes and LEAVE them at the yard to wear up there.

Ring worm is a BIG pain in the ar*e !

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
If it is ringworm I would inform ALL horse owners as not only could their horses catch it THEY could too! You will need to disinfect EVERYTHING incl Stable, field fencing (virkon S is reccomended) all your brushes and rugs will need disinfecting aswell as your tack. It is advisable to have a set of clothes and LEAVE them at the yard to wear up there.

Ring worm is a BIG pain in the ar*e !

oh really this bad?
speak to YO or just ring vet?

Eriskayowner

Visit site
ok thansk
and i know a horse up the other end has it? i was told not to touch it by the girls coz my horse will get it

Why the hell didn't you mention this before? We could have diagnosed your horse much more quickly, and you could have made a start on minimising the spread sooner.

Also, it's a bit late for "don't touch the other horse" isn't it really?! Your horse does have it.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Why the hell didn't you mention this before? We could have diagnosed your horse much more quickly, and you could have made a start on minimising the spread sooner.

Also, it's a bit late for "don't touch the other horse" isn't it really?! Your horse does have it.

Are you a vet?

As much as the OP irritates the **** out of me with her attention seeking posts (one minute horse/self is life-threateningly ill, next they're winning at BS90, hooray for them) some of the responses here are being hailed down from the highest of high horses.

BSJA123 - your parents bought you a horse, and I assume ferry you to and from the yard daily, are they not remotely horsey as you can always ask them? If in doubt, ask a real person first, then give the HHO masses an account of your day if you want...Sure, it won't get as many replies, but people like me (and I'm nice, honest!) will think of you with a much higher regard, and probably post far more constructive replies, than the arguments and tellings-off you keep prompting!

I also very much hope for both of your sakes, Ebony does not have ringworm!x

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Are you a vet?

Ummmm no, but I have do a biology and chemistry degree so I know something about fungi and how they reproduce and spread, and if she'd told us yesterday that there was a horse on the yard with ringworm, then many people wouldn't have said "oh, don't worry about it, they're just fly bites - put some cream on and see how they are in the morning". The responses would have been more like "It could be ringworm - isolate her and get some disinfectant".

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Eriskayowner, I wasn't having a dig, I genuinely just wondered, as you do sound knowledgable and used the word 'diagnose' lol - was interested that's all :) I wouldn't reply on any of these with advice as I'd not be confident enough to make a judgement on what it could be, so fair play to you for being significantly more knowledgable than me! If you need any riding/falling off (im good at that!) advice be happy to do an info swap haha!

happyhack

Visit site
wait for the vet to come out and diagnose for definite. If she does have ringworm, speak to the yard owner about the isolation procedure. Let all the other owners know as well.

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Eriskayowner, I wasn't having a dig, I genuinely just wondered, as you do sound knowledgable and used the word 'diagnose' lol - was interested that's all :) I wouldn't reply on any of these with advice as I'd not be confident enough to make a judgement on what it could be, so fair play to you for being significantly more knowledgable than me! If you need any riding/falling off (im good at that!) advice be happy to do an info swap haha!

Also good at falling off as I'm sitting (gingerly) on the sofa with a broken coccyx having been catapaulted off Jazz when he tripped last! Codeine and chocolate is the way to go!

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Ringworm is such a pain in the bottom!! One horse at our yard 2 years ago got it and eventually the whole yard got it. My horse wasnt bad just a couple of little patches on his face. And yes can be caught via tack brushes basically anything that has touched a horse with ringworm.

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Perfect. Sounds like you're taking some good precautions so pat on the back for that. Ringworm (and other highly contagious diseases) really do suck, but it's the responsible and mature thing to do to ensure that everybody is aware, and that you do as much as humanly possible to clean everything so that it doesn't get to another horse. If the other owner had been as responsible, you wouldn't be in this mess.

If it is ringworm (and I can't really see how it can't be) then you've made a good start on trying to get rid of it.

Well done.

FlorenceBassey

Visit site
see its not my fencing so i cant go put stuff on it lol

You need to grow up and start taking responiblity for your horse and actions, just because its not your fencing does not mean that you can just leave it, beacuse its your horse with ringworm (to be confirmed) then its down to you to make sure no other horse or person catches it.

The fact you think taking care of an unwell horse is 'hassle' just goes to show how immature and uncomimtted you really are.
If i was at your yard and my horse got ringworm because you hadn't bothered to try and contain in you would be paying my vets bills.

Many many years ago one of my horses got severe ringworm, i was on a livery yard with 65 other horses, and he was one of three i had at the time, nothing else on the yard got it, because it was contained.
Rant over :D

EventingDaun

Visit site
You need to grow up and start taking responiblity for your horse and actions,...
The fact you think taking care of an unwell horse is 'hassle' just goes to show how immature and uncomimtted you really are.

I've been trying to restrain myself from saying this! Also the fact you knew there was a horse with ringworm but didn't think it was worth mentioning!? My mind boggles about the youth of today!:eek: