"Essential" XC kit

loobylu

Visit site
I agree and still have a hankering to jump big enough to warrant it, just that's the answer I got when I asked. We used to tape the reins at the buckle but have no idea if that's what is being discussed.
I don't tape my boots on xc- figure they should stay on, and if they don't, I have no desire to have a half attached flapping boot following me around.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I suspect the fashion for grease started to wane around the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984. Because of concerns about the weather (and increased electronic coverage) there was an immense amount of work done on cooling sport horses (a lot done in Canada, which is apparently the "horsey nation" with the greatest temp change between summer and winter so most problems with adaptation) and grease was identified as a significant issue. I think the general feeling is it's not a "might help, won't hurt" thing to do anymore. Since those are the riders people emulate - and since it's such a pain to clean up - I think most people feel it's more trouble than it's worth.

I do think other differences in the sport have also impacted on its popularity - you don't see too many horses regularly "jumping by braille" the way you used to.

shelbug

Visit site
do people still tie their reins in a knot at one end then tape them up? one rider i worked for insisted this was always done - even when taking the horses up the gallops. Did anyone ever have any SEG gloves? I used to only ride in them and had four pairs once (as family used to buy me them for birthdays) in black, white, pink and baby blue; and thought I was well cool...

Shipley

Visit site
I still tape tack for long format 3DE and always tie nots in the reins and remember donig lots of the bits mentioned above dont do over girths anymore. Boots I still use Professional choice on the front and prolites hind by choice (although have pe hinds at the moment because of fit) and hunting brestplates. I remember stitching tack and bandages!

Horsemad12

Visit site
What great replies!!!

Yes I too use to tape the end of the reins but have not done that for years, although perhaps I should.

It seems like the grease and over girths have gone out of favour and the air cooled boots are the way forward.

I wonder what we will all be wearing in another 10 years time!

KatB

Visit site
You tape reins at the buckle by the bit and the ends, to stop buckles/billets coming undone should anything odd happen! I stopped doing it as it annoyed me pulling bits of tape off, but if I do any decent stuff in the future, I will start doing it again!

shelbug

Visit site
This video shows why taping reins is a good idea! I had knotted them as I find on a pelham they are a bit long and can get tangled round the breastplate or my foot, but in knotting them the leather had pushed up in the buckle slightly, and when he pecked and snatched the reins from me disaster struck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2k5A2h9Klk

:eek::eek::eek:

CrazyMare

Visit site
This pic shows a taped bridle - it was an Italian pony at this years Pony Europeans in Poland - I took the photo

283949_268040676544200_138244132857189_1309288_5750905_n.jpg

I have a set of shorter reins to use on my Cheltenham gag/pelham for XC so I don't get them caught up

only_me

Visit site
Jayne Doherty tapes her bridle as well, here she is at tatts 3* this year. I took the photo ;) She is on the irish squad for euros
big38.jpg

moony_baboony

Visit site
I only really see people using grease at Intermediate or above when I go to events. I heard that your not meant to grease the chest (only the front of the legs) as this can interfere with the horses sweating.
We always use gel or ice boots as we are lucking enough to have a lorry with freezer (when it decides to work)!! Clay is a big nono for us as one of my mums horses had a allergic reaction even though he she had used clay on him before. Also our vets said that if you put clay, paper, bandages etc. on the legs then all you are doing is heating the legs and tendons up when what they need is to be cooled down.
When I think about it there isn't really any competition between layers of clay, paper and bandages or ice boots/cooling gel/ hosing or sponging down but everyone has their own reasons for everything they do.

EventingMum

Visit site
We must be really old fashioned, we still use overgirths and grease the fronts of the legs for intermediates and 1*/2* (not lower levels). We also use air cooled boots and ice boots and gel after xc not clay. Also always have a neck strap attached to saddle with a flash strap.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I still use an overgirth. I'd like to think that in the event of a girth/ girth strap snapping at speed it would hold the saddle secure enough that I could slow down/stop without an accident.
I'm interested why they aren't commonly used anymore

BronsonNutter

Visit site
We also used to tape the reins....

Still do for a three day ;) And the cheekpieces & breastplate (although I'd rather not tape up the breastplate - it makes taking the saddle off a nightmare...)

Grease for anything *big*, tubigrips and ice for after XC at a three day etc... Never used an overgirth though, but I do check all the leatherwork when I clean the tack beforehand!

star

Visit site
i bought some grease when I did a long format event as figured he might not be his usual tidy self once he'd gone round steeplechase and R&T but I wouldn't usually use it for 90/100 as he's a very clean jumper.

I tape my boots in bright green - helps me spot myself in photos!

Always wanted a set of Clarendons but they'd gone out of fashion by the time I could afford any.

I do use a 5 point but only because it fits his shape better than other types which seem to dig into the base of his neck.

Have never taped my bridle.

Have never used clay - recent research suggests it just stops the leg from cooling properly. I use flexible ice packs inside an old set of sports boots over jay cloths - cheap version of cool boots, then I take them off after 20mins and bandage fro the way home.