Even more bad news about Robin

doodle

Visit site
also on the list, thanks. How do you get it in the syringe and what type do you use? I have a normal 50ml syringe but also the ones from the peptizole. I’m thinking will need to be reasonably thick but then hard to get in the syringe?

Frumpoon

Visit site
Pen&strep is injected IM and can be done with a surprisingly short needle - if you don’t already know how your vet can show you a pinch technique or you can do in the bum with relatively little drama

sorry if you already know this

conniegirl

Visit site
also on the list, thanks. How do you get it in the syringe and what type do you use? I have a normal 50ml syringe but also the ones from the peptizole. I’m thinking will need to be reasonably thick but then hard to get in the syringe?
Petit filous is about the right texture for syringing.
I use a 150ml syringe for mine. I think you can get them at pharmacies but I don’t really know as i nab them from work

doodle

Visit site
We have shelved that idea for now as he is already getting difficult with needles. He got to the point after his elbow op that he was in the stocks and was still throwing people around the place.

SO1

Visit site
Bit expensive but try mixing antibiotics with manuka honey. I managed to get a manuka honey and lemon type honey from tesco and this worked well much better than apple sauce or black treacle.

daydreamer

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having such a rubbish time. An equine vet nurse friend of mine recommended baby food pouches for syringing. You can get the squeezy ones which makes filling the syringe easier. They often have apple/carrot flavour etc. When I tried it I think I filled the syringe with a layer of baby food, then AB power mixed with the babyfood and some icing sugar then more baby food.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Poor boy. I have no experience with it but along the lines of yoghurt, you can get those squeezy tubes of yoghurt for kids?, I’m thinking they might be a little “thinner” than the standard yoghurt so could be easier to get in and out of syringe? Fingers crossed for you both

MissTyc

Visit site
So sorry to read this. There are a lot of replies so I may have missed this, but has his liver function been tested? I only ask as I've known two horses (one was my own ISH) who had "never rains but it pours" lists of problems and both turned out to have compromised liver function. In any case, any immune system booster and liver support you can give him will hopefully help a bit. Fingers crossed for his recovery; I know how worrying it is.

Micropony

Visit site
Oh the two of you really are having a rubbish run at the moment aren't you? He is very lucky to be with an owner so determined to do the best for him.
Best of luck with the antibiotics, I have had success before now with the strawberry petit filous syringe method. Also honey. Also grated carrot, apple and pear, mixed with a very small quantity of sugar beet soaked in apple juice, antibiotics added at the very last moment and fed from hand. Very messy, very sticky, total pain in every way, but did the job for a few days.

doodle

Visit site
So sorry to read this. There are a lot of replies so I may have missed this, but has his liver function been tested? I only ask as I've known two horses (one was my own ISH) who had "never rains but it pours" lists of problems and both turned out to have compromised liver function. In any case, any immune system booster and liver support you can give him will hopefully help a bit. Fingers crossed for his recovery; I know how worrying it is.

yes the bloods showed liver is fine.

I went to Tesco and got all sorts of baby food, yogurt, custard and icing sugar. Amazing friend suggested sooth and gain. Well she is a genius!!! Made it with warm water. Gave him a little to start with which he declared the best thing he has ever ever eaten. So made a big fuss and gave him more with 10ml karidox in. Wolfed it down. Gave a little more with 15ml. Gone. Then the last 25ml with some more. Still the best thing he has ever eaten and bowl licked clean!! Result!!

will leave the blood thing for later but if I can get karidox in I’m so relieved.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
So lovely to read your great news Kamikaze! I was wondering how it was going with giving him his medication today, what a relief that your friend's suggestion worked.
Woohoo! All hail your friend!

m028.gif

Hope the medication works as quickly as possible, {{{{{{Vibes}}}}}} to Robin.

julesjoy

Visit site
Well done, fingers crossed it continues. I was going to recommend fruit baby puree, I used that to syringe in bute at one point, quite a big syringe though.