Even more bad news about Robin

BBP

Visit site
I’m so pleased to hear you have found something that works. I really hope you see improvements soon.

racebuddy

Visit site
Bless him poor boy xxx my boy was so
Ill he was anemic / infection/ ulcers / inflammation in his gastrointestinal system and bleeding into abdomen xxx he was on so many medication and it took
A few weeks to even work out the problem xx hes now on all top spec cereral free and absolutely loves the fibre mash warm with hks ulcer kimd xx

!CobsCan!

Visit site
Just wanted to say that a friends horse licks peanut butter off a spoon and you can hide virtually anything in it! Might be useful for any other picky ponies. I'm glad hes feeling better K.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Glad his eating the medication, I use mint essence from the supermarket to syringe anything and they love it, it's got no sugar added either so it's not bad for them, I have added it to feeds to disguise things and they always eat it.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm pretty sure karidox (in a tub and you have a little scoop to measure it? It's soluble?) was the one M was on and it's really bitter (I dabbed a finger in to taste a tiny bit and it was vile!) We really struggled to get it down him but in the end, a small amount of cool mix with lots of sweet stuff worked for him as long as we changed the sweet stuff every day! We had a rota of molasses, treacle, and honey and would add lots of sweet fresh stuff like apple, pears and bananas. Pear was the "if all else fails" option - he loves a pear. We'd mix with the sweet stuff and a splash of hot water to dissolve it, pour that over a tiny bit of mix and mash the mix into the fruit. We'd give some 'clean' fruit, then the contaminated but wave another 'clean' piece in front of him so he'd want to finish what he had to get to the next piece. He has a sugar allergy (gets scabby legs) so it wasn't ideal (as I'm sure a lot of sugar isn't for Robin with his ulcers) but less of an immediate issue than not getting the ABs into him.

Marmite works for Archie who has less of a sweet tooth - he hasn't had antibiotics but plenty of other drugs. You could try dissolving it in a spoonful of marmite with a splash of boiling water, pouring that over a small amount of feed and maybe even adding more marmite if needs be. Most horses I've tried on marmite have loved it (Monty being the exception :rolleyes:) The other option is a marmite sandwich but there might be too much of the AB for this to be easy / effective?

doodle

Visit site
I'm pretty sure karidox (in a tub and you have a little scoop to measure it? It's soluble?) was the one M was on and it's really bitter (I dabbed a finger in to taste a tiny bit and it was vile!) We really struggled to get it down him but in the end, a small amount of cool mix with lots of sweet stuff worked for him as long as we changed the sweet stuff every day! We had a rota of molasses, treacle, and honey and would add lots of sweet fresh stuff like apple, pears and bananas. Pear was the "if all else fails" option - he loves a pear. We'd mix with the sweet stuff and a splash of hot water to dissolve it, pour that over a tiny bit of mix and mash the mix into the fruit. We'd give some 'clean' fruit, then the contaminated but wave another 'clean' piece in front of him so he'd want to finish what he had to get to the next piece. He has a sugar allergy (gets scabby legs) so it wasn't ideal (as I'm sure a lot of sugar isn't for Robin with his ulcers) but less of an immediate issue than not getting the ABs into him.

Marmite works for Archie who has less of a sweet tooth - he hasn't had antibiotics but plenty of other drugs. You could try dissolving it in a spoonful of marmite with a splash of boiling water, pouring that over a small amount of feed and maybe even adding more marmite if needs be. Most horses I've tried on marmite have loved it (Monty being the exception :rolleyes:) The other option is a marmite sandwich but there might be too much of the AB for this to be easy / effective?

it is already a liquid. A sort of oily yellow stuff. I have to get 50mls and it needs quite a lot of “stuff” to disguise it.

Equi

Visit site
Sounds like the stuff my boy was on once. The best way I found was to use a stupidly small syringe like 2.5ml and just keep getting it into the lip. The fact he didn’t have to open his mouth/teeth for a larger syringe to go in meant he felt he was still in control cause him clamping his teeth shut was saying I refuse ? but he still got the meds just took bloody ages.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
If you can find 2 or 3 things he'll eat the meds in it might be worth rotating round then everyday/ every other day. Beat him at his own game before he gets bored!

ihatework

Visit site
Karidox is liquid. Really best is just to syringe it down with some sort of carrier. They don’t generally eat it well from food. It’s also pretty expensive so don’t waste it!

doodle

Visit site
I have worked out it is a liquid! Tried and failed to syringe down before. Also I need him to have peptizole so don’t want to start messing with syringing and him refuse the whole lot! He is currently eating it with copious amounts of apple juice!