Eventing euros tv/online coverage

Jesstickle

Visit site
Bit random but is it my imagination or have a lot more people than usual been greasing legs. I thought people had pretty much given up on it but have seen a few today?

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm in awe of WFP...what a round! Chilli Morning looks fantastic, I think he may be my new favourite eventer ;)

Dusty85

Visit site
I've missed the other GB riders. How have they all done?

Pippa- Run out at the road of Blair fence and time pens, adding a total of 40 to her Dressage score (can't remember what that is)

Lucy- Fell at fence 8 (horse and rider fine)

izzy- Run out the the arrowhead skinny after the bush drop

Tina- clear inside the time :)

WFP- Clear inside the time :)

Dusty85

Visit site
Sixth after William! Still over 8 SJs behind France in bronze though :(

Yes I think it will be nothing short of a miracle if we get a team medal. We have finished on 167 (i think!) Germany 112 in Gold, sweden silver (not sure of score) France Bronze with 135.

Jung is in a rather nice position- having one fence in hand! if he has two and WFP goes clear they will be on the exact same score...what happens then? revert to Dr Score? or fastest SJ round?

DorothyJ

Visit site
WFP swapped to Chilli with the chance of an individual medal in mind; Lionheart would have been the safer team horse, but Chilli more likely to finish in the medals. Really hope he gets one. Looking promising :)

teapot

Visit site

Jo_x

Visit site
Yes I think it will be nothing short of a miracle if we get a team medal. We have finished on 167 (i think!) Germany 112 in Gold, sweden silver (not sure of score) France Bronze with 135.

Jung is in a rather nice position- having one fence in hand! if he has two and WFP goes clear they will be on the exact same score...what happens then? revert to Dr Score? or fastest SJ round?

I *think* it's whoevers closest to the optimum time XC - I believe that was the case for the grand slam anyway, it may be different here or I may be wrong. I cant remember Jung's time and the results site isnt working, but WFP was pretty damn close (and didnt hurry towards the finish either ;) )

DorothyJ

Visit site
This wasn't part of the commentary. WFP doesn't have an individual medal and this was possibly not going to be the strongest team performance.

H&H reported the 'official line'.

teapot

Visit site
This wasn't part of the commentary. WFP doesn't have an individual medal and this was possibly not going to be the strongest team performance.

Hmmm seems a shame if they were already thinking negatively about the team. Doesn't exactly give off the best vibes.

Hopefully it'll turn around again before WEG next year!

Incitatus

Visit site
Hmmm seems a shame if they were already thinking negatively about the team. Doesn't exactly give off the best vibes.

Hopefully it'll turn around again before WEG next year!

Sport governing bodies need to be very pragmatic about these things. I used to work for one, and UK Sport are VERY focussed on results. If BE made a decision to increase their chances of coming back with some sort of medal they absolutely did the right thing, IMO. Sports which get results get funding, and sports who don't get cuts.

teapot

Visit site
Sport governing bodies need to be very pragmatic about these things. I used to work for one, and UK Sport are VERY focussed on results. If BE made a decision to increase their chances of coming back with some sort of medal they absolutely did the right thing, IMO. Sports which get results get funding, and sports who don't get cuts.

I get that - it's the 'what's worth more' argument that I find interesting, team medal or individual medal? Surely winning a team medal means more money in the long run as more people are involved, or is that too black and white for a Saturday afternoon? :)

Perhaps it's just a run of bad luck post London that means the team isn't as strong as it usually appears to be. Who knows?

Last edited:

bananaloaf

Visit site
Just 3 years ago, GB were world champions and on a mega run of European golds... gutted that they're unlikely to get a team medal this year. I really did not expect that.

WFP does have an individual medal- silver with Tam at Blenheim euros IIRC? Really deserves a title though!

Michael Jung is just incredible, doesn't he dressage and SJ to Grand Prix level aswell? No wonder he gets such brilliant results, he's got all 3 phases covered!

oysterbay

Visit site

He doesn't have an individual gold. He has silver from '97 (Cosmopolitan) and '05 (Tamarillo) and also a World silver from '10 (Cool Mountain). No Olympic individual.

With a career like his, it might seem a bit of a gap! Would be well deserved and an understandable aim.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
WFP deserves an individual gold. Someone just needs to hobble a certain German rider tomorrow. That said he probably could still ride with his feet tied together, he's that good!

Incitatus

Visit site
I get that - it's the 'what's worth more' argument that I find interesting, team medal or individual medal? Surely winning a team medal means more money in the long run as more people are involved, or is that too black and white for a Saturday afternoon? :)

Perhaps it's just a run of bad luck post London that means the team isn't as strong as it usually appears to be. Who knows?

I'm guessing that BE don't see it as a straight choice and are playing the odds a bit. The main thing is to come home with something, and the priorities probably depend on what targets were set for Championship performances within the sport.

Usually sports get a review at set intervals against targets agreed. Might be something like 1/2 silver medals at the Euros. Sports usually try to be as conservative with those targets as they can get away with, but with GB eventing's track record they will definitely be expected to bring back a medal.

Traditionally, GBR prioritised the team medal but the team medals at the Euros in eventing are so competitive now I can understand why BE might have thought an individual one was a surer bet this time round.

Hopefully Michael Jung decides to stay in bed tomorrow. :)

Dusty85

Visit site
WFP deserves an individual gold. Someone just needs to hobble a certain German rider tomorrow. That said he probably could still ride with his feet tied together, he's that good!

So... Who fancies jumping on a plane to Malmo?! Team HHO; objective: GB Gold!!

Jo_x

Visit site
Well it isn't a straight choice between team and individual (talk about me stating the obvious haha) because obviously if WFP did well individually thats great for the team too.

I wouldnt like to see Jung stay at home tomorrow and I doubt WFP would either, I want WFP to beat him! :D

Incitatus

Visit site
Well it isn't a straight choice between team and individual (talk about me stating the obvious haha) because obviously if WFP did well individually thats great for the team too.

I wouldnt like to see Jung stay at home tomorrow and I doubt WFP would either, I want WFP to beat him! :D

Of course, but Lionheart is a more solidly reliable horse. Chilli Morning has more brilliance, but less reliability. Those decisions have often been made the other way round in selections to prioritise the team.

Will be crossing everything tomorrow!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Chill Morning has usually show jumped well though, hasn't he? His blips have been XC.

Sitting in California gutted because BBC link won't play out here and FEI tv won't recognise my password - even when its reset! Not destined to see Malmo. Go straight off to Burghley when I get home.

vineyridge

Visit site
Chill Morning has usually show jumped well though, hasn't he? His blips have been XC.

Sitting in California gutted because BBC link won't play out here and FEI tv won't recognise my password - even when its reset! Not destined to see Malmo. Go straight off to Burghley when I get home.

Too late now, but there is a free VPN called Expat Shield that gives you a British IP anywhere in the world so you can watch restricted coverage. Probably any free VPN would work just as well.

Does anyone else think it's rather odd that ALL the Swedes made it round the course double clear? Well, Svennerstal had .4 time, but that's not much. Isn't that statistically unlikely?

Last edited:

Jo_x

Visit site
Of course, but Lionheart is a more solidly reliable horse. Chilli Morning has more brilliance, but less reliability. Those decisions have often been made the other way round in selections to prioritise the team.

Will be crossing everything tomorrow!
Oh yes, I agree! Luckily it seems to have paid off this time!

Too late now, but there is a free VPN called Expat Shield that gives you a British IP anywhere in the world so you can watch restricted coverage. Probably any free VPN would work just as well.

Does anyone else think it's rather odd that ALL the Swedes made it round the course double clear? Well, Svennerstal had .4 time, but that's not much. Isn't that statistically unlikely?

Not really, the Brits did the same in the olympics? Other than WFPs time faults

Teaselmeg

Visit site
If anyone wants to see it again, I have just looked on the red button and they are showing the XC again. I don't have connective TV.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site

Thank you, worth knowing for the future.