Eventing in the heat...

Michen

Visit site
Boggle will be doing his dressage at about 1130 on Saturday. That means all 3 phases for him will pretty much be at the hottest time of the day, and forecast to be around 33 degrees. He is entered for Aston BE100.

I am not too concerned about the travelling as the trailer tends to stay cooler than a lorry and the route makes it easy for me to divert or whatnot if I get stuck in traffic. I am questioning whether it's asking a lot of him to step up a level, and do it in that heat.

That said, he doesn't remotely lack any buzz when hacked at this temperature so he doesn't seem overly sensitive to it, and he was clipped a couple of weeks ago..

It's our one and only chance to do a BE100 but the horse comes first. Am I subconsciously using it as a get out to not have to face the SJ or is it in reality too hot? I guess he is fairly "acclimatised" given we've had this hot weather for weeks now. I have evented him before in 29/30 degrees and he felt no different but it was at 80cm. I assume the pros won't be withdrawing their horses or unnecessarily risking expensive youngsters but...argh!

He is VERY fit but I do not want to break him! He drinks plenty when out and we'd be travelling there fairly early so the journey up wouldn't be too hot. I could also potentially stop over at a friends yard on the way back so that his journey home was halved. I'm looking in to a battery operated fan to rig up in the trailer but no doubt he will be terrified of it!

Last edited:

quizzie

Visit site
The critical figure is the temperature in farenheit (so about 100), plus the humidity (which the met office are currently forecasting at 29% at 13.00)...added together come in just under the 130 mark which is the level at which most fit horses should be fine. Sensible short warm ups, lots of water, and aggressive cooling...should be fine.
Keep an eye on the forecast, and assess your horse at each phase.

Michen

Visit site
The critical figure is the temperature in farenheit (so about 100), plus the humidity (which the met office are currently forecasting at 29% at 13.00)...added together come in just under the 130 mark which is the level at which most fit horses should be fine. Sensible short warm ups, lots of water, and aggressive cooling...should be fine.
Keep an eye on the forecast, and assess your horse at each phase.

Ok that's interesting thank you! He's in theory moving to Colorado so at some point heat will become part of the day to day for him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think most horses now that are ridden regularly are pretty used to it as it's been hot for weeks now on and off.

My friend doesn't event but she does top level dressage and has been competing all summer, she swears by feeding recovery mash once she is finished and tries to find some shade to have a bit of a cool off and gives them a good wash down before she goes home.

Michen

Visit site
I think most horses now that are ridden regularly are pretty used to it as it's been hot for weeks now on and off.

My friend doesn't event but she does top level dressage and has been competing all summer, she swears by feeding recovery mash once she is finished and tries to find some shade to have a bit of a cool off and gives them a good wash down before she goes home.

Yep that's what I take to make him drink, he gets recovery mash the day before, day of, day after

millitiger

Visit site
I do think they are pretty acclimatised to the heat now, after the last month or so.

Lots of sloppy feeds, lots of washing off in between phases, short warm ups and if you can get him some shade.

I wouldn't go but that's because I am useless in the heat, rather than my horse!

SEL

Visit site
Even my one with problems sweating was hanging around in full sun in 39 degrees the other day. They had a buck and fart the yesterday morning to warm up when it was 10 degrees. They've got more used to the heat than me. The flies on the other hand....

You can always stop and retire if you think he's struggling. You know him well enough to know if he starts to flag and you're hardly one of those riders whose going to keep pushing him for every last ounce. I suspect he'll be fine and you'll need to be hosed down afterwards!

rara007

Visit site
If you’re fit enough I expect he will be. Adjust your warmups and potentially look at washing him off both just before you ride and just before each phase. Thick set horses and fat horses are more of a concern but I know mine copes very well with heat.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
We'll also be competing in the heat this weekend, but it's only one class (equivalent of BD Advanced Medium) at 10:30 (our ride is closer to 11 though).

If my horse were fit, used to the weather, and the ground was going to be good, then I'd go for it. I'd have plenty of water for a good sponging or rinse between rides, feed electrolytes and/or mash, and a fan would be nice too if you can swing it.

Also 33°C is closer to 90°F than it is 100°F @quizzie it's about 91°F

ihatework

Visit site
Depends very much on the horse and the transport for me.

Boggle I wouldn’t have any hesitation running. He’s similar to my 6yo who will be running the novice at Aston this week (he also ran in the novice there circa 3weeks ago and the ground work they did was staggeringly good).

If you break down in the trailer - that’s what you need to consider.
Now my trailer is a white Bateson which is cooler inside than outside in this heat. But if you have one that heats up you will need a good plan B. That said, so many people will be heading to Aston from all directions I’m sure you’d grab a lift pretty quick.
Take more water than you think you will need just in case.

Michen

Visit site
Depends very much on the horse and the transport for me.

Boggle I wouldn’t have any hesitation running. He’s similar to my 6yo who will be running the novice at Aston this week (he also ran in the novice there circa 3weeks ago and the ground work they did was staggeringly good).

If you break down in the trailer - that’s what you need to consider.
Now my trailer is a white Bateson which is cooler inside than outside in this heat. But if you have one that heats up you will need a good plan B. That said, so many people will be heading to Aston from all directions I’m sure you’d grab a lift pretty quick.
Take more water than you think you will need just in case.

Thanks that’s good to hear. Mine is a silver ifor classic and it’s always seemed to stay pretty cool. I’ve ordered a couple of fans to rig up and booked a stable.

Maybe it’ll make for relaxed dressage, which would be a first as he’s always a lunatic in the dressage at aston for some reason

Michen

Visit site

Caol Ila

Visit site
TBH, you have to get quite far into the mountains to notice a significant temperature difference. Nederland was often cooler than Boulder, but they are at 8000ft and about 45 minutes' drive up a winding canyon.

Everything goes on fire there now, unfortunately, but a barn in the Foothills will definitely be on fire at some point. The risk is lower on the plains.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Even Germany is on fire nowadays. Never thought I'd see that or get detoured when I'm almost at the yard because there was a massive fire.

I feel like no matter where you live in the US, there is something extreme. Whether it be cold, heat, rain, wind, fire, or whatever else.
I'd still love to live in Colorado though.

As long as the yard you're at has solid evacuation plans, you'll likely be fine.

Michen

Visit site
TBH, you have to get quite far into the mountains to notice a significant temperature difference. Nederland was often cooler than Boulder, but they are at 8000ft and about 45 minutes' drive up a winding canyon.

Everything goes on fire there now, unfortunately, but a barn in the Foothills will definitely be on fire at some point. The risk is lower on the plains.

I’ve got Denver, Parker and Evergreen temps on my phone and am always looking at it- Evergreen does seem a good 5 degrees cooler at any given time!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, it's fairly high, around 7000ft. Seems nice enough, though I've only really seen it from the highway. It's one of those places you drive through but rarely have a reason to stop there.