Eventing is a funny old game

Bossanova

Visit site
Was Moon's 2nd novice at S.L. today. It has a reputation for being a tricky novice so I wasnt overly hopeful!!

Now this is going to be a HUGE rant so apologies now!!

Moon did a sweet test, I rode her a little bit rounder than I do normally (in response to comments on recent test sheets) and she was slightly tense but honestly, she did nothing wrong. She was relaxed, obedient, even managed to show some lengthening. So last week she got a 44 and I thought this weeks was a better test. She did nothing wrong at all.

She got 50!!!!

Thats right.... 50!!!

Please can someone explain that logic to me?!! Even on a bad day with Boss we'd rarely get 50 and to get a 50 in a novice with him he'd be very, very tense, would change in all his canters, rush in the lengthening and jog in the walk. Moon did none of this, she was merely a little bright.

Was absolutely seething when they read it out as we started our sj and as a result, we had a very bad round with Moon having an extremely uncharacteristic 4 poles. She actually jumped super, just bowled on into a few and was too cocky for her own good!

The xc I was cross from the dressage and sj but she warme up super so I thought I'd go and have fun. She jumped the first 8 absolutely fantastic-gave me brill feel, including over two nasty skinnies and a decent sized hedge and a big table.
Fence 9 was a roll top on top of a hill a few strides from 3 big steps down. She jumped the roll top nicely and literally stopped dead straight after, turned her head and stared over to the right, down to the water jump.
She would not take her eyes off it! Had a total brain freeze moment and by the time I'd shuffled her feet around a bit they called out that I was eliminated
frown.gif

Poor Moon, it was just baby thing and not related to the jump. She walked home very confused!

Remind me why I do this?!

Hattikins

Visit site
Sounds like you've had better days than this one then
wink.gif
How very very very annoying and frustrating *sighs* this eventing lark.......one minute you're up on a high the next minute you've fallen flat on your face in a big muddy puddle - why do we do it??!!
grin.gif

lizzie_liz

Visit site
You do it because life would be boring otherwise!!

Sorry to hear that your day wasn't very good, it was just one of those days!!

I do wonder about dressage judging sometimes, marking can be so erratic!

BBs

Visit site
Frustrating, the freezing moments are so annoying and just like you say, totally baby reaction.
Dont be too disheartened sounds like shes really come on in her xc and giving you such a great feel.
Just one of those things, the dressage *ARGH* just ignore it.

My rant today was, Chris King was running HC in my section, got a 24 dressage jumped DC then was upgraded (ie taken off HC) and Won the class, how did that happen?

Starbucks

Visit site
Aww bless her, Sounds like she went really well, just lady luck wasn't on your side today. It's all experience and there's always another day.

At least everything went a bit wrong all together, it's really annoying when 2 bits go really well and only one phase lets you down - hope everything goes well on your next run!
smile.gif

haybales

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

My rant today was, Chris King was running HC in my section, got a 24 dressage jumped DC then was upgraded (ie taken off HC) and Won the class, how did that happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

madgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Frustrating, the freezing moments are so annoying and just like you say, totally baby reaction.
Dont be too disheartened sounds like shes really come on in her xc and giving you such a great feel.
Just one of those things, the dressage *ARGH* just ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yer wondered that my friend was groomng for him today so will ask. Somone i know was in that section she must have done so well to finsh 3rd behind chris and daisy lol

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I don't know what was going on with the dressage judging at SLM.. as i said with mine yesterday, i thought they had marked it VERY harshly!! the last OI we did, he didn't do anywhere near as nice a test as he did yesterday, yet yesterday he got his worst mark!! Also, a friend of mine has been getting late 20s early 30s in OIs and yesterday they got a 40, they couldn't understand it, as they were also pleased with their test!!

Re the freezing moment.. it sounds like there must of been some pretty harsh marking by judges all round at SLM
crazy.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Blimey thats not really on!

I left without bothering to get my sheet but wish I had got it now as I'd like to know a) if they added it up wrong and b) what on earth she found to slate!

I've ridden some bad tests in my time and am the first to amit that it probably deserved a 40 but absolutely no way was it only worth 50%

Folara

Visit site
Sorry to hear it wasnt such a good day. I guess its one of those 'put it down to experience' days, breathe a deep sigh and look forward to the next event.

Why do you do it? Cos when it DOES all come together its the BEST feeling in the world.
wink.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I left without bothering to get my sheet but wish I had got it now as I'd like to know a) if they added it up wrong and b) what on earth she found to slate!

I've ridden some bad tests in my time and am the first to amit that it probably deserved a 40 but absolutely no way was it only worth 50%

[/ QUOTE ]

Boss, i'm there again tomorrow.. would you like me to get it for you?? (if i remember)

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Boss, i'm there again tomorrow.. would you like me to get it for you?? (if i remember)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes please, that would be fab, I'm really intrigued now as nothing bar my first centre line and final halt was worth a 5.

I was number 675 I think
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
Boss at least it wasn't a dirty stop and you didn't break your leg

Who was judging the dressage there is a woman round here and she is awful she gave someone about 80 in an intermediate last year and if Cath sees her sat in the car thinks what the point her first name begins with S.

Thistle

Visit site
That is why I dislike dressage, if the judge has PMT everyone suffers. We find male judges dislike our pony, they just don't seem able to relate to her and seem to think that she shouldn't be going novice.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hmm Chris's horse has won 3 PN's over a year ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive just checked!
This horse is actually out of PN, like you say has won 3 PNs and was run at OPN for the rest of last season.
Now saying i was 2nd I would be bloody angry! Come on, dont tell me Mr King doesnt know the rules!

madgirl

Visit site
hmm will definatly ask tomorrow?
Very weird as he obviously entered him HC originally. Very odd, want him to do well but friend was 3rd so would like her to move up seeig as her PT's went wrong this seasn with injury.

Daisychain

Visit site
Actually that awfull for you, i always understood that a 5 meant you just about stayed in the arena! its very insulting, put it down to a bad day and learn from it! thats the only way to change it to a positive!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
My sympathies, I reckon you may have had the same judge as us..
I don't think I have ever really been cross with a judge in my entire ridden career before today, but to prove my point we will put Chocolate's test up later this week on here.
It wasn't brilliant and yes, he was a little over bent at times, but to get such a low mark is frustrating. No-one minds a low mark if it's deserved, but mostly fives is bloody rude. For goodness sake does she need glasses d'you think?
confused.gif
grin.gif

damitjanit

www.idoloandicon.info

UUUhhh!!!????

siennamum

Visit site
She sounds like she tried to be a good girl, which is the important thing. Hope you're not too peed off, you've both had a meteoric rise & are allowed a blip
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Bet you're glad you're not running today.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh!?! Didn't think that was allowed
crazy.gif
smirk.gif

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
Well done good report minor blip XC nothing major.
Ditto about the dressage judge, seems to be across the board. My sheet had over bent throughout which I've never been told before
confused.gif

Peanot

Visit site
From the posts that I`ve read about SL this weekend, I don`t think that anyone had a good % on the dressage, so it must just be that the judge got out of bed the wrong side! and everyone had to pay for it.
mad.gif
You are not alone.
It will be better next time. Best to forget about this one.
wink.gif

NoCollection

Visit site
Quote:

The results are up on the BE website (go to Results Search) and I think Chris King didn't win any PN sections - in fact it looks like he was only in the OI.
confused.gif
Rulebook says you can't go HC is you are eligible for the class, only if you are ineligible (e.g. too many points, Advanced rider going in Intro classes).

Hattikins

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

The results are up on the BE website (go to Results Search) and I think Chris King didn't win any PN sections - in fact it looks like he was only in the OI. Rulebook says you can't go HC is you are eligible for the class, only if you are ineligible (e.g. too many points, Advanced rider going in Intro classes).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was at Ascott under Wychwood that he won the PN section with 24 dressage
wink.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

It was at Ascott under Wychwood that he won the PN section with 24 dressage
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect theres a loophole in the rules as the 3rd PN he won was a regional final so that may not count.