Eventing, problems with boots for XC.

cundlegreen

Visit site
After my mare's last run in an OI, I discovered swelling in the superficial flexors on both front legs. Certainly caused by pinching of the leg by her xc boots. Having looked at a closeup of her jumping, its her very good folding up of her front legs that is causing the problem. The boots are "nipping" her legs just below the knee joint. Fortunately, the swelling went down within three days and there was never any heat or soreness.She is only ever booted for XC jumping, and I think this may have saved her from real damage to the tendons. Does anybody have any ideas what I can use on her for this phase? I am thinking maybe polo bandages, as any type of boots will have the same effect. She has another Intermediate on Sat, and now she is doing the bigger tracks, it's very important to get the leg protection right.
To give you an idea of what is happening, here are photos of her jumping.

Becky%20SJ%20LD%20OI%202016_zpsof2ui08m.jpg

Becky%20XC%20LD_zpsnmoiytab.jpg

be positive

Visit site
Her technique is so good I can see why the boots are pinching, what is she currently wearing? I wonder if there are boots that are a bit shorter with a soft flexible top that may still offer the strike protection you need that will not be given by bandages, no ideas but I suspect someone will be able to suggest something.

Last edited:

cundlegreen

Visit site
Her technique is so good I can see why the boots are pinching, what is she currently wearing? I wonder if there are boots that are a bit shorter with a soft flexible top that may still offer the strike protection you need that will not be given by bandages, no ideas but I suspect someone will be able to suggest something.

She's wearing woof boots, but all the boots that I have are the same in that they are not elasticated straps, although, as you say, any real strike protection is not going to give. I did wonder about Clarendon boots. haven't used those in years, but they do have elastic straps and a good padding inside. A nice thing to have a horse with good technique, but now over the bigger tracks, it's really important not to damage her legs.

be positive

Visit site
I have an old pair of Clarendon boots lurking around somewhere, they are very much out of favour now but could do the job for your mare, the over heating potential is limited if they are on for such a short while and they will give protection, my old horse evented in them for several seasons and his tendons were perfect his whole life so they cannot be so bad.

Johnny999

Visit site
Have a look at the Lemieux boots. Have moved to them after slipping and pinching issues with others behind. Current tendon 5% lesion is same place as your issue. It could be wear and tear, but I have not ruled boots out for the issue. Will be going to Lemieux in front for next season also

Kylara

Visit site
I've recently bought some lemieux airmesh brushing boots. Soft everywhere bar the strike pads and elasticated straps. Could work better. Not sure how their tendon boots compare as I know some people prefer those at higher levels.

cundlegreen

Visit site
What about the Eskadron closed front boots? They have the flexi bit at the top although perhaps not the best at keeping the legs cool...

http://www.overafarmstud.co.uk/contents/en-us/p1014.html

I don't think any tendon boot will do the job, as I need protection at the shin in case she hits a fence, although that is very unlikely the way she brings her legs up! I've not had this problem this season with the same boots at a lower level, so it is due to the very big track she jumped. Be Positive, would you be interested in selling me your boots if they are not too expensive? i have loads of boots here, but most are too large, as she's only 15.2hh.

Branna

Visit site
Have you looked at the Veredus Evento boots? They are designed to be protective and ventilated but without the solid tendon strike guard most boots now have. I'm sure I read somewhere that Andrew Nicholson used them because they don't restrict movement like boots with strike guards.

I don't have them myself, and don't have a horse with quite such good action! But I must say I have used the Eskadron and the LeMieux mentioned above and personally wouldn't recommend either for this issue.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Have you looked at the Veredus Evento boots? They are designed to be protective and ventilated but without the solid tendon strike guard most boots now have. I'm sure I read somewhere that Andrew Nicholson used them because they don't restrict movement like boots with strike guards.

I don't have them myself, and don't have a horse with quite such good action! But I must say I have used the Eskadron and the LeMieux mentioned above and personally wouldn't recommend either for this issue.

i've just had a look at these. I think I'd have the same problem unless the tops were really soft....I can see me doing major research before the next event season. it's a minefield out there!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Would a smaller/shorter pair not just do the job? I have some NEW equine XC boots in a small that are large enough to go round welsh cob legs but not very tall.

ihatework

Visit site
I wonder if you can still get old portaboots? Think that is the right name, dense foam pads you cut to shape and bandage over!!

That said, yours won't be the only neat jumper out there so there must be a boot that is better designed for the issue. You probably need to avoid the ones with inserted tendon strike bits but rather go for the overall moulded type boot

justine1559

Visit site
Hi, my mare has a similar problem and sadly the Veredus eVento boots have not been the answer although I do think they're very good boots. I'm thinking of looking at the Kentucky eventing boots which I think may be more flexible. Years ago I used to use Porter boots and bandages which are very old school but the Porter boots gave excellent protection, were lightweight and you could cut them to size but other than finding the odd pair on eBay they're like the holy grail.

only_me

Visit site
What are you using now?

It might be worth going down a size in boots so you still get protection without nipping.
I've the eskadron xc boots for fronts which are fab, had them at least 7 years and still in great condition and give great protection:)

cundlegreen

Visit site
What are you using now?

It might be worth going down a size in boots so you still get protection without nipping.
I've the eskadron xc boots for fronts which are fab, had them at least 7 years and still in great condition and give great protection:)

She's in woof wear at the moment. I have found a couple of makes online, but really need the tendon area cut out more.

ihatework

Visit site
She's in woof wear at the moment. I have found a couple of makes online, but really need the tendon area cut out more.

Thing is, I doubt any boot would be that cut out, as al that does is expose more of the tendon to a potential unprotected impact.

She is quite a small mare? Dumb question of the day but is it just a case of going for a smaller boot?

I'd have a look at the Eskadron, they have a flexible area right at the spot it sounds like you describe - they have a closed front XC version of their regular tendon boot.
Otherwise the NEW fleece lined one, whilst the cut is very standard the fleece is very dense and should offer protection over the pressure points

Nicnac

Visit site
Ecogold are soft and don't have any trim which reduces rubbing/friction. Out of my budget but some people swear by them.

Ellie Hughes (now Ellie Crosbie) had a set of Clarendon boots she was selling just over a week ago and people weren't interested as they are too 'old fashioned'. Worth contacting her.

vam

Visit site
I don't think any tendon boot will do the job, as I need protection at the shin in case she hits a fence, although that is very unlikely the way she brings her legs up! I've not had this problem this season with the same boots at a lower level, so it is due to the very big track she jumped. Be Positive, would you be interested in selling me your boots if they are not too expensive? i have loads of boots here, but most are too large, as she's only 15.2hh.

These are the closed fronted ones so have a protection on the front of the shin.
I had the normal tendon boots in large on a 14.3 that was as neat as yours at times, never had an issue as the back had a cut out and a flexi bit as well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thing is, I doubt any boot would be that cut out, as al that does is expose more of the tendon to a potential unprotected impact.

She is quite a small mare? Dumb question of the day but is it just a case of going for a smaller boot?

I'd have a look at the Eskadron, they have a flexible area right at the spot it sounds like you describe - they have a closed front XC version of their regular tendon boot.
Otherwise the NEW fleece lined one, whilst the cut is very standard the fleece is very dense and should offer protection over the pressure points

that's my thought re smaller boot, as I said the NEW size smalls are large enough to go round welsh cob legs in front (they actually join up perfectly on mine!) but obviously a 14.2 welsh has pretty short cannons and they are not too long so I do think there might be distance in looking at the sizeing of various brands.

cundlegreen

Visit site
thanks for all the links/replies. Be Positive is sending me a pair of clarendons to try, so hopefully will get sorted. I've just found two auctions for porter boots on Ebay, so pursuing those as well....

Suziq77

Visit site
This thread has just made my day - after little downham my pony had swelling in the same place. He was completely sound but I've been worried about it. He also has amazing front leg technique and at only 14hh most boots come up long on him. Potentially mystery solved - thank you!

cundlegreen

Visit site
This thread has just made my day - after little downham my pony had swelling in the same place. He was completely sound but I've been worried about it. He also has amazing front leg technique and at only 14hh most boots come up long on him. Potentially mystery solved - thank you!

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I found an old H&H thread about Lucinda Green saying that certain boots could cause tendon injuries.

smja

Visit site
I know you're trying the clarendons now, but my horse has a similar technique to your mare's (though was only at novice). What worked for him was the lemieux stealth in a size smaller than he 'should' be wearing, to get a shorter boot. Did lots of faffing about when trying boots on, pulling his legs into jumping position for intense critique whilst he ignored us all and ate his hay!