Ever feel like giving up....

[59668]

Visit site
...for no particular reason?

It's a lovely day. Ex polo mare has been going well. Off to a grids clinic later.
But lately I've just been feeling like I can't be bothered and wouldn't it be nice to not have a horse.
I'm looking forward to today but am nervous and am so tired of the anxious before a comp/clinic feeling. I find myself thinking "wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to, and could just go for a walk or sonething" But then if I just stop doing these things I feel a little "what's the point". I don't really want to just hack about and go in the school without a reason. And I think of the money I'd have without a horse!
But then some days I'll have a lovely hack and can't imagine not having a horse.
I don't know....not really any point to this rambling other than sometimes I just wish I wasn't into horses. And I feel like this for no real reason. She's on full livery so it's not like I even really have any of the hard work to do!

windand rain

Visit site
It is the time of year and aging process I could never give up but feel like it in winter when there is no real purpose. We show but have missed 2 years of showing our youngster due to covid and OH's knee replacement so have been a bit at sea and missed so much. She will be an adult now. I guess all the work and nowhere to go is a bit depressing

Flicker

Visit site
This time of year, yes. I know someone who gives her horses 6 weeks’ holiday round this time of year. She roughs them off and turns them away (rugged and checked twice daily, fed in the field etc, natural and field shelter available). Then spends late December / January bringing them slowly back in to work to be ready to go again come the better weather and lighter evenings. It seems to do them all the world of good.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did. Life was stressful, horses were one stress I really didn't need. Sold posh horse.

In came Rigsby! He has no purpose. He was in ill health. My purpose was to simply keep him happy. His character was robust, I was occupied.

I didn't want a baby horse, but actually, having an immature ID type is also perfect. This winter is to allow him to mature, whilst giving his brain some little situations to process. No pressure at all.

Neither of them 'needs' riding. Phew!

Nocturnal

Visit site
I gave up horses a couple of years ago as I was working abroad. It was nice to catch a break for a while, but I really miss it now.

Visit site
Sadly had my boy PTS early in the year after battling several health issues with him and totally the right thing to do, I was so distraught that I immediately rehomed my other pony ( his companion) gave up the lease on my field and sold most of my stuff, saddles, horsebox, rugs etc and vowed to have a super long break and enjoy no ties so I could do what I wanted, go on holiday etc, have lie ins, save money but truth is none of those things have happened and I miss it so bad, not just the riding but all the care aspects and even mucking Out! I'm working from home so have started to feel cabin fever, I do take the dogs for a walk but it isn't the same, they used to come with me twice a day or more.
I don't miss the mud or wet rugs but everything else.
I occasionally help a friend ride her two out but it's really not the same as having your own.
I think I might get back into it in a couple of years time when the children are more independent and possibly livery for a bit of help now and then,
Glad you enjoyed the clinic in the end

nagblagger

Visit site
When you ride is it nearly always to go to clinics or events so stress levels are high, living up to other people s expectations and now you feel you just can't go for an enjoyable hack., do you still get that 'glow' when you accomplished something? (Just seen your recent post so you obviously do). I am lucky my horse does not need much, living out 24/7. However, sometimes i feel I don't want to ride- too much effort/can't be bothered mode- but once i'm on her back i feel different, and when i come back i'm glad i went. Also i normally ride with a friend so we motivate each other when one is feeling like this. It is more of an effort this time of the year, like today, cold, windy with ' frightening horse attacking leaves' so couldn't totally relax. But for all its issues could i give this life up.....no!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Sadly had my boy PTS early in the year after battling several health issues with him and totally the right thing to do, I was so distraught that I immediately rehomed my other pony ( his companion) gave up the lease on my field and sold most of my stuff, saddles, horsebox, rugs etc and vowed to have a super long break and enjoy no ties so I could do what I wanted, go on holiday etc, have lie ins, save money but truth is none of those things have happened and I miss it so bad, not just the riding but all the care aspects and even mucking Out! I'm working from home so have started to feel cabin fever, I do take the dogs for a walk but it isn't the same, they used to come with me twice a day or more.
I don't miss the mud or wet rugs but everything else.
I occasionally help a friend ride her two out but it's really not the same as having your own.
I think I might get back into it in a couple of years time when the children are more independent and possibly livery for a bit of help now and then,
Glad you enjoyed the clinic in the end[/QU

i gave up as i was unable to cope with the heavy work and couldnt afford to pay someone....i really miss the one to one with looking after a horse and just riding occasionally didnt really help.....i know exactly what you mean

[59668]

Visit site
When you ride is it nearly always to go to clinics or events so stress levels are high, living up to other people s expectations and now you feel you just can't go for an enjoyable hack., do you still get that 'glow' when you accomplished something? (Just seen your recent post so you obviously do). I am lucky my horse does not need much, living out 24/7. However, sometimes i feel I don't want to ride- too much effort/can't be bothered mode- but once i'm on her back i feel different, and when i come back i'm glad i went. Also i normally ride with a friend so we motivate each other when one is feeling like this. It is more of an effort this time of the year, like today, cold, windy with ' frightening horse attacking leaves' so couldn't totally relax. But for all its issues could i give this life up.....no!
No I ride 6 days a week 3 days hacking, 2 days schooling, one day clinic/comp.
I have wonderful hacks where its like "yeah I couldn't give this up" but some days at this time of year its so hard to drag myself out. No one to ride with most of the time... I'm the only livery on a private yard

Flicker

Visit site
I don’t mind rain, wind or snow. It’s the darkness that saps my motivation. Stable lights always seem too dim, even if it is even only 6pm it feels like the middle of the night, and fewer people seem to be around and riding so the yard is like the Marie celeste. I am hoping that work continues to allow us the flexibility of working from home when we need to, and more flexibility with hours - taking a long lunch and riding in the middle of the day is infinitely more preferable than trekking out in the pitch dark after work!

Jazz18

Visit site
Been thinking this myself after a bad injury falling off a horse has forced me to be grounded. It can be so hard especially in winter and so expensive , but just cant imagine life without them.

nagblagger

Visit site
Is there anyone on here that is local to you so could ride and motivate each other? I must admit I would be lonely to ride on my own all the time, even though i'm not a people person (outside work!) I also catch up with gossip riding with my friend...at times really we are just happy hackers plodding round the country lanes... some on here would disapprove of us! lol

Jazz18

Visit site
Is there anyone on here that is local to you so could ride and motivate each other? I must admit I would be lonely to ride on my own all the time, even though i'm not a people person (outside work!) I also catch up with gossip riding with my friend...at times really we are just happy hackers plodding round the country lanes... some on here would disapprove of us! lol
My husband rides with me but i agree , its so lovely to go with friends

Cowpony

Visit site
It's really hard at this time of year. The mud, the dark, the weather.......I'm lucky, I'm on a big yard with lots of great liveries and staff, so there's always somebody to talk to and ride with, but it must be hard if you're on your own. I just focus on 21st December. After that it's getting lighter again, even if the weather isn't improving!

SO1

Visit site
Winter fatigue is an actual thing caused by lack of daylight and our bodies feeling more tired due to the darkness a bit like horses growing winter costs darkness makes us feel more so harder to get up in the morning and feeling sleepy in the evenings.

I sleep so much better in the winter I actually feel less tired.

Horse ownership is not just about competition and training so if you are getting fed up with the why not stop. You feel their is no point having a horse if you don't do those things but plenty of people have horses for hacking and leisure riding and are perfectly happy.

If you rode a bit less it might enable you to go for a walk or do other things. You would save money entries fees and travelling to clinics and shows.

I don't know how long you have had your horse for but I have had mine for 14 years and I hope we have many more years together. There are days when I think life would b easier without a horse, certainly financially it would be easier and I expect many people feel that sometimes when they have a horse.

For the last 7 years I have been on part livery and that was a game changer as it enabled me to have a bit of a social life outside of horses and get a better paid job as it meant I could work unsociable hours and travel for work without having to worry about horse care.

The pleasure I get from my horsemost of the time outweighs the difficult days. I am not riding at the moment as he has tendonitis.

...for no particular reason?

It's a lovely day. Ex polo mare has been going well. Off to a grids clinic later.
But lately I've just been feeling like I can't be bothered and wouldn't it be nice to not have a horse.
I'm looking forward to today but am nervous and am so tired of the anxious before a comp/clinic feeling. I find myself thinking "wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to, and could just go for a walk or sonething" But then if I just stop doing these things I feel a little "what's the point". I don't really want to just hack about and go in the school without a reason. And I think of the money I'd have without a horse!
But then some days I'll have a lovely hack and can't imagine not having a horse.
I don't know....not really any point to this rambling other than sometimes I just wish I wasn't into horses. And I feel like this for no real reason. She's on full livery so it's not like I even really have any of the hard work to do!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes, every year or so and i have followed through with it. I always come back to horses, I dont really know anything else, lol!

Currently feeling deflated with ridden horses change in behaviour and trying to get to the bottom of why he has gone from being a twat to being a complete and utter twat! I suspect its the new baby horse arriving!

Ratface

Visit site
I'm the only livery on my horses ' breeder's small and exquisite private yard.
I went for a quiet plod round the big fields this afternoon. A 30 minute hack in adequate light. Horse had other plans, which involved serious speed+sophisticated acrobatics. Our combined age is 105.
Even coming back via the lanes didn't put any sense in him. The rapidly gathering gloom seemed to arrive much more quickly today than it did at the same time yesterday.
Fortunately, horse and I were plastered in hi-viz and flashing lights (including long schooling whip) plus hi-viz emergency identity packs on him and me, in case we parted company.
He's been silly before, but the early darkness makes everything (to me) potentially more dangerous.

atropa

Visit site
At the minute, yes. I am utterly exhausted between a very full on stressful job and having three on DIY. Supposed to have a sharer to help but they have gone AWOL. If I sit down for more than 5 minutes I cant stop myself from falling asleep, it's an awful feeling.

Would you consider giving your clinics/comps a break for a couple of months, take the pressure off a bit and just enjoy some hacking downtime when the weather suits? Hats off to you for riding 6 days a week with no other liveries around.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've been involved with horses for more than 50 years, professionally up until 2 years ago. I have one old, retired horse still, but when he goes that's it. I've had breaks from owning horses before, for a couple of years each time and always come back, but this time it'll be for keeps. Physical decrepitude and wanting to do other things are the main reasons. I was obligated for so many years, but now that I have the choice I choose to walk away.

L&M

Visit site
I know exactly where you are coming from - after 40 yrs of non stop horse ownership I have thought of giving up several times in the last few years, but as my current horse is so wonderful and have had him since a youngster, feel I owe it to him to keep going. However I have decided he will be my last horse.

I no longer have any interest in competing so get our kicks in the summer doing fun rides, and the winter trail hunting, which he adores. When hunting goes, so will the majority of fun rides (round here anyhow as they are the main fund raisers for local packs), and can see all my remaining motivation for riding disappearing completely. I am just hoping that we will have a couple more seasons so can justify him retiring in his late teens.

However what I am looking forward to is looking after him into old age, without the pressure of riding. I am also looking forward to a life which is not dictated by the horses every need, and having spare money in my wallet. We are lucky enough to have our own land and stables, so the only real expenses will be bedding and forage, which will be a huge financial relief after years of spending most of my disposable income on competition entries, hunt subs and lorry expenses.

Last edited:

pistolpete

Visit site
I’ve been forced to give up this year too and struggling. Currently have a retired pony who still needs to be cared for. It’s nice being hay free and have clean nails and some money but I miss riding my own so much.

planete

Visit site
I sometimes think I am nuts. Trying to turn a stroppy heavy pony into a willing and sensible hack at my age because I feel obligated to do right by him before I am forced to give up altogether. The irony is that this mini cart horse loves schooling while being built like a short backed hippo but turns into a quivering wreck when he has to face life outside the farm. Giving up is very, very tempting, especially with Winter starting!

pistolpete

Visit site
Spotty I have no idea! I’m struggling and getting fat!
planete you’re describing my highland. He would school all day. But hacking really wasn’t for him. He’s retired now as he has a stifle fracture but he always preferred to stay at home. Maybe it’s a form of agoraphobia. He got better with loads of long lining but never loved it.

Peglo

Visit site
I have questioned getting another ridden pony as I am just hardly riding with the crap weather and dark. But the times I have gotten out it’s been great.
I wouldn’t be without the mucking out, bringing in etc though. I like having a reason to get up in the morning and being forced to go out in the wind and rain to bring them in at night.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Sometimes but I know I couldn’t be without them either. What do ‘normal’ people do with their time though, seriously?!
EVERYTHING that being tied to horses prevented us from doing: travel, leaving the farm for more than eight hours, being able to talk about something not related to horses……

windand rain

Visit site
Think that''s the problem Cortez some of us don't want to travel or leave home and can already talk about anything they wish. I just cannot get the peace I need in my life without them. Sad I know but they are keeping me going. Have given them up after a series of tragedies but always been happiet in a field. I truly hope you enjoy your new life where ever it takes you