Ex race horse showing classes - help!

SSM

Visit site
So I am dragging my yard buddy (Pagancloughie) over to the dark side of the equine world - showing
grin.gif
She has a beautiful black/dark dark bay ex race horse (Northern Dancer was his grandfather). So on Sunday all being well he will do his (and her first ever)showing classes at Arena Uk Riding club.

So

For In hand ex race horse:
Handler turnout?
Bridle?

For Ridden ex race horse:

Rider turnout?
Tack?

Apart from plaiting the mane is tail plaiting actepable, she is not over to the dark side enough yet to pull it (just wait!!!) and what sort of pretty patterns do we put on his bum???

Thanks!

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
I would think for handler riding gear would be fine ( ie jacket, boots, hat , gloves and cane .
Bridle =plain snaffle bridle .

Ridden

Same as handler turnout would be fine , ( no black jacket )
Again plain snaffle bridle and a nice straight cut/working hunter saddle , with either brown numnah or black depending on colour of tack , although brown is preferred .

Im sure tail plaiting is fine, although pulled is better .

Any pics of the horse ?
Is it a local show ?

SSM

Visit site
Have just done some searching and appears it is tweed for rider as per hunter classes then a double/Rugby Pelham with flat noseband and nice browband - yes local Riding Club show has ex race horse classes.

Please please correct me if I am wrong!

fairhill

Visit site
I thought you'd got yourself a new horsey then and given up with the CBs for a minute there!!! My old horse was an grandson of Northern Dancer too, he was a little star!

Anyhow, I used to show mine as a Riding Horse, so snaffle bridle, with rolled noseband and a velvet or rolled browband, and a brown numnah and girth under his saddle.

I wore hacking jacket, tie, shirt, beige jods, black boots, gloves and navy hat for both inhand and ridden classes.

For RC a plaited tail will be fine, and I reckon some nice shark's teeth and diamonds on his bum will look lovely
laugh.gif

*disclaimer, I'm not a showing expert, and never won a class
tongue.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
I would expect to see her in a gre/blue tweed with perhaps a navy/black collar for that colour of horse. Neat black leather gloves. Bridle with show pelham (smallish rings to complement face of horse) flat moband of widthe to suit horse. Long black boots. Neat saddle to show of shoulder of horse. Mane and tail plaited, horse trimmed. Browband to compliment horses colouring/heardshape.

But most importantly horsey and rider must have fun (so that you entice her further over to the dark side)

shadowboy

Visit site
I would expect to see her in a grey/blue tweed with perhaps a navy/black collar for that colour of horse. Neat black leather gloves. Bridle with show pelham (smallish rings to complement face of horse) flat browband of width to suit horse. Long black boots. Neat saddle to show of shoulder of horse. Mane and tail plaited, horse trimmed. Browband to compliment horses colouring/headshape.

But most importantly horsey and rider must have fun (so that you entice her further over to the dark side)

conniegirl

Visit site
shadow monkey, i wouldnt, grey/blue tweeds in the show ring are looked down on it should be green or brown, hats on ladies should be navy not black and thus a velvet collar if they have one should be navy (although on hunters and larger horses velvet collars are not popular) and deffinatley brown gloves.

pagancluf

Visit site
If you can read this then well done as hands shaking too much, its me going onto the dark side - eeekkk
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
(No way am I pulling his tail, ever, ever, ever!!)
shocked.gif

Seriously thanks SSM for post, looks like I need to go shopping - Damn
smile.gif
smile.gif

The saddle showing off shoulder is confusing - I have a dressage and a GP??

May go and get a cheepie double bridle (Kincade) and do I need a coloured brow band?

Why oh why did I move onto SSM yard??? Was a happy hacker before...
smile.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
Luv u really !!!!!

conniegirl

Visit site
right im going to say as she is chestnut go for a green tweed, if you dont want to buy a pretty browband then show her as a hunter and have a plain one.

you idealy want a saddle that sits behind the shoulder so the judge can see the shoulder, out of your 2 i'd go for the dressage unless the gP is particularly straight cut. If you come over to the darkside permanantly then you could look at getting a show saddle but a dressage one will do for now

fairhill

Visit site
The GP will probably be better than the dressage saddle, but I really wouldn't worry too much - you'll see people, and horses wearing all sorts if it's anything like our RC shows.

Either plain or coloured browband will be fine - there are some pics of some ex-racers here for inspiration:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/395/131549.html

Good luck, and lots of pics please!!!

Shiraz

Visit site
hi, is it ERC classes? If you check out the ERC website (link in my siggie) they will help you out re tack and turn out. the basic rules are:

HORSES MUST BE REGISTERED WITH THE EX RACERS CLUB BEFORE ENTRY

Any knocks bumps scars etc are to be ignored.
Boots are also allowed.
Any tack is permitted except gadgets.
Horse is judged on their condition and muscalature.
Horse is also judged on its general way of going and adaptability to it's new career.
Horse is to be over the age of 4 for ridden classes

So wear whatever you and your horse feel comfortable in. You don't need a show saddle or double bridle or to pull your horse's tail. Plaiting is fine
smile.gif

the main thing is you have fun and enjoy yourself and you'll know when you look around that everyone is in the same boat taking their ex-racers out! I hope you have fun and can't wait to see pics
wink.gif

P.S. my new TB is a grandson of Northern Dancer too because he is out of Accondy.

pagancluf

Visit site
UPDATE....
shocked.gif
naughty person been to tack shop and bought an olive coloured jacket, burgandy tie, and olive and burgandy headband.
Thanks for posts and also piccies as really helpful.
smile.gif

Will be ok on dark side as SSM is showing her princess too on that day, so hopefully lots of photos.
smile.gif
smile.gif

silversox

Visit site
ONLY use a double, pelham, or rugby if your horse is very used to it and goes nicely without throwing his/her head in the air or becoming overbent. As a Judge, I see far too many horses and ponies coming in the ring with doubles etc. which have only just been shoved in at the show and are not at all happy in their mouth. Better to see a horse going nicely in a snaffle than hating every minute of a double.

Personally, I prefer not to see a numnah at all in any showing classes, BUT some veterans and ex-racers do have a prominent spine and need just a bit of bulking up under the saddle.

Don't forget to have your hair tied back neatly or in a hairnet; round off the corners of your number and use a bootlace to tie it around your waist. Please do not wear your number on your arm for in-hand showing - it drives the stewards mad!! It is sometimes better to wear slacks and joddy boots rather than boots and breeches for showing in-hand as you will need to run without tripping up.

ALWAYS use a lipstrap, girth guards and preferably plait with thread rather than elastic bands. A well-plaited tail can often look better than a badly pulled tail which has been got at with the clippers.

Teach your horse to trot up when asked, stand all four square in front of the judge, stand quietly without fidgeting in the line-up and perform a canter figure of eight, with a change of leg at trot during your individual show. Some Judges ask for an extension down the long-side - so be careful - if not too sure of your braking system then opt for a canter. Personally, I do not ask ex-racers to gallop on the go-round, but they are often shown in other classes where an extension is required.

I wouldn't expect anyone who is just starting out in showing, esp. ex-racers, to be able to follow all of the above at their first attempt, but it is merely a guide for what you need to aim for if you decide to continue with your showing through the season. You will improve every time - tho' do expect the odd minor set back now and again - but it will all come together, eventually, and you'll be one happy, proud bunny!!
cool.gif