Ex-racehorses - where did yours come from?

shelley8697

Visit site
I'm thinking of having a ex racer, when I can afford another horse. Can you tell me where/how you got yours and post pic's.

Are they all true mad TB?

I have been looking at the bloodstock sales and rescue centres, but think I would rather find one else where.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Well the ex racer im currently working with came from a dealers yard as he was a failed SJer. Unsurprising as he was a steeplechaser for 7years!! haha
As for the mad TB, he is a softy on the ground now although did take his woner a very long time to get him to be a relaxed horse with life in his eyes. NOw he is gorgeous and loves kisses. To ride he is a bit of a typical sharp ex racer, hard to get on as only just been riding for 6weeks, but he is very clever and quick to learn. So i love him, hoping his owner is going to get another horse more suitable for her so i can have him on loan!! I wouldnt change him for anything and he doesnt require much food either. He is just very sharp but not malicious.

ladyt25

Visit site
Well, our ex-racer we originally got aged 17 as a summer 'fattening up' project as his owner had loaned him out to people who had starved him. He was a hatrack. I won't go in to full details but after another failed loan he came back to us aged 19 as his owner was going to have him PTS as she had no where to keep him and no money. He is now 27 and is a real character - no dimbo! His racing record was pretty crap mind! Lol

i have friends who work in racing and they have and do pick up some freebies now and then. I actually helped them get a horse, full brother to young kenny, who ahd brken his leg racing and his owner (local to us)l wanted to sell him and had him on a sales livery but was having now luck so was left with havig to have him PTS. i told my friend, they took him on (free) and tried to get him hurdling again but he didn't have the aptitude for it really. They (after working on him) sold him as a general RC horse and last I heard he was doing really well.

i think you're best off approaching local racing yards, get your name down with them and something will come up. the thing I love about most TBs is they are so blooming traffic proof so actually can make great all round riding horses. Yes they can have quirks but so can any horse but I think the fact they are pretty unflappable is a real quality.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Both of mine came directly from the trainers - the old boy, who is 21 now (the bay in the third and fourth pics), I already knew as I knew his trainer, but the mare (first and second pics) was just from an advert from another yard who was advertising all the horses which weren't good enough to race and she came out of the field there. Both are stressy when left alone in the stable block or the field and they both thrive on turnout. The gelding is superb to hack apart from the unexplained fear of plastic bags and hedge monsters. The mare is not scared of anything, but is fizzy, although dead safe - although she is now nine, she rides like a four year old. Personally I wouldn't have any other horses, but they are an acquired taste and you can't just ignore them - they require a lot of time, often have higher vets bills than other horses due to their ability to injure themselves in a padded cell, and they tend to get attached to other horses. But that's the bad side. The good side is that they are super intelligent, elegant, athletic, have super personalities and give back to you as much as you put in. But if you're wanting a horse to pick up one day and then not do anything with until the following week, they are not the type for you. They need attention, attention, attention. I love 'em!

This is the mare when I got her

blueresize2-1.jpg

This is her now

013.jpg

My 21 year old when he was 15

resize3.jpg

My 21 year old now.

Picture207.jpg

cob&onion

Visit site
Originally Ireland then i picked her up from Essex (dealers yard) she was a complete sympathy buy - a complete hat rack!! (a 3 yr old - unbeknown to me!) but a lovely lovely nature and a certain special something about her :)
She had a fake passport and i tracked her through her microchip (well the vet did) and i called whetherbys and they where very helpful.
She never raced.

Got in touch with her original breeder and he didnt even know she had been sold, luckily he was ok about it and sent me her original passport plus lots of notes about her when she was a foal and told me about her dam and sire as he owned thwm both (winged love), long story short i spoke to another old owner (got number from breeder) who apparently had taken the horse and sold on due to a fall out with the breeder, he was boasting that he got 600euro for her at sales and that he said was an excellent price for a TB in ireland.
fast forward 2 more owners and then she landed on her hooves with me where she will have a forever home :) had her 2 years now.

Girlracer

Visit site
Major, the first one i got came off a friend of mine who didn't have time to bring him into work after he was turned away from racing. But originally he came straight from the trainer, i believe she knew the owner.

When he arrived
60993_433276774238_588139238_4855374_8326441_n.jpg

This month
IMG-20110605-00137.jpg

951112.jpg

Sapphire came from a lady i know, she looked after her for the owner and they decided she was wasted stood in a field looking pretty so wanted a home for her. And they seemed to think i was suitable. I have a before, but not and after yet as she arrived today!

DSCF2726.jpg

DSCF2734.jpg

So the moral of that story... it's not what you know it's who you know :p

As for them being crazy, yes they are highly strung and Major is very sharp. They aren't easy but every horse is different and they are very rewarding.

missdarcy

Visit site
I've just recently got an ex-racer, i got her from a trainer in epsom she wasn't cut out for racing so they wanted to find her a new home quite often trainers just want them to go to a good home so its worth getting in touch with a few trainers to see if they have any. she's a fab little horse last raced a couple of months ago. there fab horses they learn so quickly and are so willing to please you :D x

3Beasties

Visit site
I got my Ex-racer direct from his breeder/trainer who had then started doing a bit of dealing. I had phoned up about another horse which was unsuitable but he said I could go and try Charlie. He was 8 1/2 at the time and had been turned out for 4 months so apart from being under muscled he was in pretty good condition when I got him.

He is now 16 and is a pretty laid back chap but when he has his moments, he REALLY has his moments! The littlest thing can become a major issue to him and it takes a heck of a lot to calm him down :eek: Thankfully these moments happen far less then they used to.

I think the biggest issue I have with mine is feeding, last Winter he was getting £80 worth of haylage a month and the hard feed bill averaged about £90 :eek: He kept his weight but was by no means over weight during Winter!

Here's a couple of piccy of my boy -
CIMG9600.jpg

CIMG9180.jpg

CIMG7637-1.jpg

Whoopit

Visit site
Mine came striaght from the trainer, three weeks after his last race. He wasn't fast enough and the owner said sell him. He's 3yrs old and I've seen more life in a seaside donkey! The only time he gets excited is if he's near more than one horse when riding but that's more his age than being a screw loose! He doesn't need loads of feed - he gets straight chaff with varying goodies in it to keep him interested and he keeps weight on just fine.

Sorry, no well schooled looking photos for us two!!!

When he arrived in September last year
Harry-1.jpg

And more recently
050620112479.jpg

310520112460.jpg

Typically nosy. In fact, reeeaaallly nosy!! And very needy for attention!
120520112421.jpg

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
Reg's owner lives near us, and a friend of my mum who keeps her horse on the same yard as us knew that we were looking for a horse and that Reg's owner was looking for someone to ride him! Total serendipity, and he is the most lovely horse to loan and his owner is fab- supportive beyond belief and very friendly and kind.
1-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Hayrack.png

He is very easy to love. He's hopefully going to be an eventing superstar, so watch this space, lol!

Dizzle

Visit site
I bought mine from work, he was my lead horse when I used to take hacks out at weekends and was meant to be a bit of a project, our equestrian centre bought him from a local trainer.

I love him to bits, he's not easy but by no means is he naughty or dangerous, my boss called him my perfect horse 'dead safe, but not dead' and it's true, he keeps me on my toes but I always feel safe on him. I honestly would not change him for the world!

Before:
Image262.jpg

After
DSC_0099.jpg

...and last summer when my previously very poor doorer got a bit too fat!
IMG_8721.jpg

Last edited:

Cassiethecob

Visit site
I work at a NH yard and my Boss always tries to find those coming out of racing good homes providing they are safe to ride. Every single TB racer I work with is an individual in all repects and you really cant generalise on temperament, attititude, health etc. A large majority weave/windsuck or crib due to many yards not turning out I always think (but I may be wrong!). Always worth contacting your local yard and asking what they have that may be looking for a good home. Some of ours have gone on to have exciting careers in dressage, eventing etc and many make good hunters and even happy hackers and RoR show horses. They do have to be well looked after though, they have been living the life of super athletes and wintering out on a hillside with no shelter or rugs will not be their thing. And no, although many times tempted I havent brought one home.;)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Mine came from her breeder as he got her back from training to reschool and sell. I was working for him at the time and was the one reschooling her and after a couple of weeks I bought her!

She is more laidback than my cob, not sure how much of a good doer she is as I am trying to get weight on her as she came in racing condition, but she seems to be putting it on quite quickly so I'm hoping she won't be that bad!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Mine was a gift but I did get her in a state and she has taken time, money and effort to put right. She is doing well now though and I wouldn't be without her at all as she is a real sweetie. It angers me how little a lot of people think of ex racers and just dump them on the scrap heap and they end up at sales up and down the country, and those are sometimes the lucky ones.
More should be done and I think the racing industry should be doing a lot more than it does to help horses that have either ended their days on the track or never even had the chance to step foot on it.
Rant over..... sorry I just get very cross over it :(
On another note though there are some beautiful horses on this thread and a few that to be honest were in poor condition when people took them on. It's a good job there are kind hearted souls out there like us willing to give these wonderful animals a second chance at life :)

Rose Folly

Visit site
Over the years, two ex-flat racers given to us by their owner, one passed on by that owner's trainer, one ex-flat racer turned successful showjumper, and currently my livery has just been given an ex-steeplechaser. No money changed hands in any of these deals except for the showjumper who was £1300 10 years ago, as her front legs had gone to pot. They all stayed with us for life, and I dearly loved them all. The steeplechaser is a wow, and as soft as butter.

No, ex-racers are not mad. They are just like all other horses. They can be sharp or lazy,stupid or intelligent, good or bad doers,carry a novice or be only fit for an experienced rider, have huge vet bills or never be sick and sorry.

It's a huge mistake to lump them into one category. And personally, given the choice between a slightly scatty TB and an opinionated thug Shetland, I know which I'd choose!

bumblelion

Visit site
Mine was believe it or not at a riding school! I heard about him and fell in love with him straight away when I went to see him!! He had been there 2 years, not been ridden once nor turned out!! First time I got on him (first time since in racing) he just plodded along!! Had vet out to reveal he was being doped! Took him on, and what a nutter!! Although who can blame him!! Didn't trust anyone, couldn't do anything with him! Set up a strict routine with him, quit my job and just spent months working in hand with him, messing about in field etc!! He now trusts me and is beginning to chill, after 3 and a half years!!
Such a shame, the owner of the riding school got him from Doncaster sales. He did flat firstly and then hurdles. Won a few races in each. Bred at Juddmonte, sired by Zafonic (winner of 2000 guineas) and when in flat, trained by Henry Cecil (who just got knighted)! He actually raced in the gold cup at Ascot (was on tv today!!) a few years ago!

Such a shame that a horse, who in his day was so though of, ended up where he did for 2 years, with no one really knowing!! On the plus side, I found him, purely by accident and am so pleased I did! He's very tricky but I wouldn't change his quirks for anything!!

leflynn

Visit site
Got both of mine from Ebor House in York, both are quick to learn and intelligent but sometimes lacking in common sense which can be amusing! They have the odd typical TB moment, but they are just as daft/sane as any other horse really.

They aren't plodders but they are safe and responsive even at speed! :D Brill in traffic/noise/company/solo. One is a proper soppy git and loves cuddles, the other is like a small boy and hates to be clean and cuddled too much :p One had been out of racing a couple of months, the other over a year. I'd jump to have another ex-racer tb anyday :D

Dizzle

Visit site
Having an ex-racer is the only way I could afford such a well bred horse, I have at home, a magazine with my horse’s sire on the front cover and his grandsire on his dam’s side was the legendary Sadler’s Wells, I’ve got books at home about my horses ancestors, what other breed can you buy a book on their history from Waterstones?! :D

BigRed

Visit site
Mine had been in training, but had not raced. I got her because she had been bought as an event horse, but was not brave enough. She was a really friendly, loving horse. She was super brave to hack out and you could canter across any open space on the buckle. She could be silly on occasion, but there never any malice in it, she might just be feeling really well and wanted you to know. She was tough as old boots, was never ill and never needing stuffing with food. She did not like being wet or cold.

I miss her every day.

Bug2007

Visit site
Got Bug straight from trainer/breeder.

While raced as a 2 yr old.

picture.php

two weeks ago as a 4 yr old.

picture.php

As for mad TB this is one for you to decide!!!!:p:D:rolleyes:

picture.php

picture.php

Visit site
My 3 came straight out of the trainers yard. 2 of them I had worked, one for 8 months the other for 4 years. My 3rd one came from a different trainer and was a complete unknown quantity and for a 5 furlong sprinter he is the laziest horse I have ever come across!

If you are looking for a stockier tb then maybe try the National Hunt yard first as we have them built to jump and stay. Flat horses tend to be built for speed and nimbleness. Of course there are always exceptions to this and you get dainty jumpers and heffalump flat horses but mostly the bigger types are the jumpers.

ETA. This is one of mine, Jeff, I rode him in work for 4 years at a national hunt yard and this video is of his first ride as a "normal horse" just 2 days after I took him home from work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afdFsckffo

Last edited:

redmerl

Visit site
Surely if your are seriously considering re-training an ex racer than you should be aware that they are all different, in the same way all warmbloods are different. It annoys me that they get labelled as crazy or difficult just because people are not capable of riding and schooling sharpe intelligent horses

shelley8697

Visit site
Surely if your are seriously considering re-training an ex racer than you should be aware that they are all different, in the same way all warmbloods are different. It annoys me that they get labelled as crazy or difficult just because people are not capable of riding and schooling sharpe intelligent horses

Thank you for your comment - I have trained and owned many warmbloods and TB's, just no ex-racehorses. So the question I have put on the forum is to find out how the different types of racing training has effected the individuals horses, that are owned by forum owners.

JustMe22

Visit site
Mine was bought from a dealers the day he finished racing and was trucked down with a whole bunch of other horses on a cattle truck..lots of photos of him here:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=464201

He's stressy in some ways (more mentally than physically) and can be as stubborn and pig-headed as they come. If he has a bit of an uncertain moment at a jump or something, his confidence is knocked very quickly - in the same way I'd expect from a very young horse, especially one that'd been overfaced. For this reason, we didn't let him jump at all for a couple of years, and we've still managed to overcook it a few times, but really he's a good boy. His jumping confidence is coming back in leaps and bounds now he's being exposed to more and he jumped a double clear at his show today with some seriously spooky fences, not looking at a thing!

He's not spooky, and not hot but does have his 'exploding' moments involving airs above the ground :rolleyes: Generally though, I'd say he's reasonably trainable, but does have some attitude. He will be stubborn about things, but not nasty, and does try to please.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
We have had our just under a month now. He is the kindest sweetest chap. OK he is fast if you want to canter along grass but that's all they know. He is sharp but only in the way that if there is a flapping bag he will jump across the road to avoid it however he has never just jumped because the grass has changed colour :rolleyes: Jumping him he again is boisterous but a quick Woah, listen. And he just does as he is told :) His owner is a very complicated family link so that's how we got him however we had been offered other racers that weren't quick enough. It's just we are only now in the right circumstances to have another

Fun Foals

Visit site
I must say mine was a bit of a spur of the moment buy, i had one on loan at the time, he was going back to his owners in a couple of months so was just going to Leominster sales to see what was around and prices. But both my bf and i saw him n fell in love and he was to much of a bargin to turn down. So came home with him :D He is cheap to keep, keeps weight on well with little hard feed, only one vet call out for a colicy night (other than routine jabs), and amazing in traffic, cant fault him. May not have been planed but wouldnt change him, had him nearly 2yrs now.

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/LeanneBoa/

Penniless

Visit site
I know you're too far to come down to Newmarket, but for those of you who are thinking of buying an ex-racer, feel free to come to our show on 10th July at the AHT and see a ring purely for TBs (raced or not). In the ring will be TBs from yearlings through to (the oldest entered so far) age 26. There will also be some TBs who are still racing at present, and some entered are due to have their first runs later this year. There will also be a number of trainers, bloodstock agents, and jockeys so feel free to have a chat with them, and also Jenny Pitman is one of our judges for the day, and I'm sure would be delighted to give you her opinion on the breed.

For those of you with TBs - why not enter yours. We have 17 classes purely for TBs and lots and lots to win. All pre-entries receive commemorative rosette and a gift for their horse from sponsors. Tattersalls are the main sponsor of the TB ring.

If you just fancy coming along to watch (both the TB ring and the All Other Breeds ring), you're very welcome. Admission is free but a donation into the AHT collecting tin would be appreciated. H&H Show Number will give you full details, or feel free to contact me.

all about Romeo

Visit site
I bought an ex race horse straight out of training and he is wonderful!!! don't regret it one little bit, I can leave him for months and then get on and ride and he is perfect! He doesn't like to work too much though which is perfect for me as I don't want a horse I have to ride every day! He is 9 years old but has is a 4 year old in his mind, some of them just need to be treated like a youngster.

He is not a good doer at all but this will vary with each individual, the only down side is they get very attached to other horses and in novice hands this can create behavioral problems, they are also VERY sensitive which can be a good thing as they will let you know sooner rather then later if something is wrong!

They are very keen to please so will try their heart out for you and you can have a very strong bond, they go thorough alot from a very young age so can be forgiven for some minor issues they might have.

You need to know what your doing though as its so easy to blow their minds with such a big change, I worked in a training yard before buying him so knew what his training routine was like which certainly gave me an advantage! :) he is one of the most loving horses I have ever had and I would never sell him!

Its about time this wonderful breed got more good press but you need to know what you are doing!!

solly3066

Visit site
My boy was from the yard and wouldn't swap him for the world! He had a bit of a rough time and has taken quite bit (...actually a lot!!) of work, mostly behavioural but....love the bugger to bits!

He's fab out riding, will hack out alone now but didn't at first (understandable!), go past absolutely anythign while my wimp of a warmblood ponces around (at 17 yrs old!) and when he's in the right mood will oblige a cuddle!

:D