EXCITED!!! Pony going to Parelli guy next week!

fburton

Visit site
Well, I hope the pony - who has such a nice look despite his issues - gets the very best in sympathetic handling. Good luck, nikCscott, finding someone locally who you can feel confident will train him with a light touch (or maybe get an RA to visit and give suggestions first)!

AndySpooner

Visit site
The massive difference is a lead horse will not hold the horse she/he is telling of in position to be bitten/kicked. Parelli on the other hand makes their victims stand still to receive their punishment in the form of ropes, clips and sticks more often that not to the face.

This is such b*l***ks, there is no punishment in Parelli, come on Barney what team are you on? You look like a disaffected Parelli follower to me. Posting all these clips from the levels DVD's, out of context with a little editing here and there.

So what have you done to make you want to get back at Parelli like this? They tell you you're not as good as you think you are?

I'd have some respect for you and your views if you weren't hiding your identity. If you feel so strong and are genuine and above board, who are you.? Or are you a backstabber hiding away like I think you are.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
This is such b*l***ks, there is no punishment in Parelli, come on Barney what team are you on? You look like a disaffected Parelli follower to me. Posting all these clips from the levels DVD's, out of context with a little editing here and there.

So what have you done to make you want to get back at Parelli like this? They tell you you're not as good as you think you are?

I'd have some respect for you and your views if you weren't hiding your identity. If you feel so strong and are genuine and above board, who are you.? Or are you a backstabber hiding away like I think you are.

Mmm - well I'm NOT a disaffected Parelli follower - only took a brief look and a little research to persuade me I wouldn't touch it with someone else's bargepole. And nothing I've seen since has persuaded me my first decision was hasty or wrong!

And I don't hide my identity - so what does that make me AndySpooner - because I believe there is both punishment and downright abuse demonstrated by Prat Parelli and the unlovely Linda in any number of videos!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I wish I could say great but sadly you have been swayed by the hype like so many others.
I am always open to new ideas but having seen several horses totally wrecked by their system I can only wish you luck.
Just promise yourself one thing, watch them carefully , just because they call it a carrot stick still makes it a stick... And if you ever feel puzzled by what you see, you can bet your pony feels the same way !

foxy1

Visit site
I'm neither for or against Parelli for the sake of it but I find the clips of this husband and wife team really disturbing.

That said, I used to share a yard with a lady who was 'into' Parelli, but she was the most quiet thoughtful gentle horsewoman and nothing like these videos.

Please go to someone recommended with your lovely pony; Janet George, Tarrsteps (on here), Micheal Peace, Jason Webb.

team barney

Visit site

I can assure you I have NEVER practised Parelli nor would I.

I didn't post the clips and they are NOT edited as you wrongly claim them to be.

I have learnt about the Parelli system after seeing the mental state of the Parelli-ized horses who live in my area. I have also investigated and read about rollkur, it is called natural curiosity (Parelli haven't stolen mine) I like to learn about all aspects of horsemanship, even those I strongly disagree with.

About 7 years ago after one western riding lesson (a gift from a friend) with a natural horsemanship professional (not Parelli I hasn't to add) I was offered a job starting his youngsters. I turned him down as I didn't like the cold manner in which his horses were treated, not cruel like Parelli, just distant. So your opinion on it being "revenge" from parelli rejection is just plain ludicrous.

As to who I am, that is none of your business. As for whose side I am on... I am on the side of the horse.

fburton

Visit site
This is such b*l***ks, there is no punishment in Parelli,
What do they call it then - "correction"? Of course they use punishment - it's almost impossible not to at some point if you have a rope attached to the horse, unless you you purely positive (reward-based) methods.

AndySpooner

Visit site
My horses are treated better than any for miles, I'm with them all day every day and I understand them a lot better than I do some of the knobs on here who are too transparent for words.

Pub for me now I think.

Queenbee

Visit site
Some (not necessarily Parelli) would say that horses do far worse to each other... :eek:

absolutely, I agree, but should a horse try it with my mare she will always go 10 times worse at them, she will not however do it with me or any human, and I have never tried that kind of C**P with her, I have always been firm but gentle, I can garentee (SP!!) that if I walloped her one in the face with a carrot stick she would however stick it up my artifact and boot me the hell across the yard (she's incredibly clever don't you know ;)) and then I would not get near her.

Just because horses kick and bite each other doesn't mean we should abuse them either mentally or physically. Horses jostle for dominance in a field, that is why they behave that way, horses do not wish to ride one and other (well, not in the way that I mean! ;))

nikCscott

Visit site
10 pages... ever wish you kept you mouth shut?! :confused::eek:

I won't say I'm sorry I posted- because I have now withdrawn Sid (after watching the videos) and thanks to the people who have made some really good suggestions on how to progress- I have today spoken with a tiny girl (adult) jockey who I hope will now start come up a couple of times a week (paid) working with me and getting to know Sid so when he's ready to be backed he will know her.

I would say I'm sorry- because it's caused an arguement which I never intended I haven't been in the forum long enough to see how 'explosive' this subject is. I wasn't baiting an arguement - I hate confrontation and hope that this thread will now die...

I must say though - the guy I was going to send him too, i watched work with a horse on a friends yard last year and he in NO way looked like he was causing the horse distress and even in the relatively short time i watched the horse seemed to visably relax and his yard is lovely- I would never consider letting this pony out of my sight unless I am completely happy with his care.

I hope you all understand - I adore this pony and only want the best for him- I've brought on a few larger horses with issues with success, and I think I've been doubting myself a little as I'm to heavy for him- but reading back Sid has come on so much in just 8 months and I've done that- so am going to stop putting pressure on myself, he's only 4 and theres plenty of time.

A couple of you wanted a full body shot so here's 1 or 2 or 3- he's too gorgeous not too!

Now please let this thread die- couldn't believe there was 90 odd posts!

Beautiful boy
beautifulSid.jpg

With his 'friend' (headleass) Henry
HenryandSidafter1stnighttogether-1.jpg

Happy grazing with Henry after a long reining session
IMG00665-20110216-0940.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
*Snorts*... *loudly!!!!*

Guys, a badge for Andy please!!! :D:D:D:D:D He's too good.

Snorts here too,

Andy please could you stop now.... please!!!

I only have 2 bottles of larger tonight and I have just splattered a mouthful over the screen thanks to your twaffle, I am already deprived and uninlightened do I have to be largerless and sober too???!!!

Please no more BS posts on this from you, I iplore you, I cant afford to waste the larger and it is too cold to go outside to the utility and get more.

Thank you

lhotse

Visit site
I can imagine Andy strutting around Tesco, in his cowboy boots (for the ladies to see, of course) and with carrot stick in hand, trying to have a conversation with the Self Service tills.
Probably has more empathy with them than any horse....

monkeymad

Visit site
I think Sid looks absolutely gorgeous! He is an extremely lucky pony to have found himself in your care. I wish you all the very best of luck with him!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
10 pages... ever wish you kept you mouth shut?! :confused::eek:

I won't say I'm sorry I posted- because I have now withdrawn Sid (after watching the videos) and thanks to the people who have made some really good suggestions on how to progress- I have today spoken with a tiny girl (adult) jockey who I hope will now start come up a couple of times a week (paid) working with me and getting to know Sid so when he's ready to be backed he will know her.

I would say I'm sorry- because it's caused an arguement which I never intended I haven't been in the forum long enough to see how 'explosive' this subject is. I wasn't baiting an arguement - I hate confrontation and hope that this thread will now die...

I must say though - the guy I was going to send him too, i watched work with a horse on a friends yard last year and he in NO way looked like he was causing the horse distress and even in the relatively short time i watched the horse seemed to visably relax and his yard is lovely- I would never consider letting this pony out of my sight unless I am completely happy with his care.

I hope you all understand - I adore this pony and only want the best for him- I've brought on a few larger horses with issues with success, and I think I've been doubting myself a little as I'm to heavy for him- but reading back Sid has come on so much in just 8 months and I've done that- so am going to stop putting pressure on myself, he's only 4 and theres plenty of time.

A couple of you wanted a full body shot so here's 1 or 2 or 3- he's too gorgeous not too!

Now please let this thread die- couldn't believe there was 90 odd posts!

Beautiful boy
beautifulSid.jpg

With his 'friend' (headleass) Henry
HenryandSidafter1stnighttogether-1.jpg

Happy grazing with Henry after a long reining session
IMG00665-20110216-0940.jpg

Ha ha! Glad you came back, and glad you have not been too upset by all the uproar! Sometimes I worry about someone who admits that they have lots to learn on here - they get so much advice it must be hell if you don't know how to pick through it! You sound to have your head screwed on - sifted through the opinions, ignored the arguements, and came up with an exellent solution.

We used to have a 4yr old female version of your gorgeous pony, who was just broken, but cheeky. We found a small older child who rode her from time to time, and it helped enormously. Most of the work my son did on her was on the lead rein for the first year anyway, so I was able to do a bit with them together, and the older child did the rest. She went on to do very well at local shows in all classes at leadrein and first ridden levels, and was a much loved pony, who was with us for 4 years, and is now in another lovely loving home.

Best of luck to you! (Ps. I'm not a Parelli fan either!)

ps. Forgot to say, Henry is fab! His position is very realistic! Did you make him?

Last edited:

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
To be quite honest with you, you sound like you are doing a fantastic job with him yourself if you are lungeing and long reining him already. I'd carry on with him as you are take it slowly - backing him isn't a race to see who can do in the quickest time and then when you're ready get a smaller person to do the backing with you being the one on the ground reassuring him and giving him confidence. Just take your time with him, have fun - if you have a rapport with a pony/horse breaking and backing is actually easier than people would like you to think because they seem to just accept the progression from one thing to another. (Well that's my experience anyway).

As for Parelli - good or bad I've no idea but your pony is lovely.

Excellent Post. Completely agree:)

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
what a gorgeous wee lad, the very best of luck with him. I posted earlier about my mare being heloed by a mixture of parelli and traditional methods, can i just say that she was never smacked in the head or anywhere else with a carrot stick. She came to me terribly head shy and after a short space of time wit me was totally at ease with me around her head.
Now looking at the stuff i have seen on the internet etc, i would be against parelli too, but I think it depends on the person. I am just worried that anyone would think that I had subjected my mare to anything negative. I would never have gone along wit
h anything like that and was with her every step of the way.
I have got an amazing horse and i wouldn't have that if she had been in any way badly treated.

Amaranta

Visit site
My horses are treated better than any for miles, I'm with them all day every day and I understand them a lot better than I do some of the knobs on here who are too transparent for words.

Pub for me now I think.

Oh my gosh, you are cruising for a bruising are you not Andy :D:D:D

I am glad you treat your horses well, they deserve it.

Sadly we 'knobs' as you put it also find you rather transparent:) (if a little monotonous)

amage

Visit site
Fair play to you for everything you have done so far and for making the sensible decision! I'm actually watching his programme on horse ad country...more for amusement and coz I'm bored but what a load of claptrap!!

nikCscott

Visit site
Unfortunately- I've been worrying about this post spiralling out of control with arguements today, my husband however has been held by Libian rebels for 6 hours who took all his things and money! Thankfully they let him keep his passport- he's now in Tunisia and will (hopefuly) be home by this time tomorrow.

Thank you for the lovely posts about Sid- and please stop the arguing...

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Sorry nikCscott, but you are the one that started it all, if you had read any previous posts on the Parellies. Would must have known the minefield you were trending and they don't have a very good press, only the ones they put out on their own account.

nikCscott

Visit site
Sorry nikCscott, but you are the one that started it all, if you had read any previous posts on the Parellies. Would must have known the minefield you were trending and they don't have a very good press, only the ones they put out on their own account.

If you had read my previous post on THIS thread you will know that I didn't have a clue- Stupidly (in hindsight)i didn't search it was a fly away comment/post which I wish I'd never put on and if I knew how to delete this thread then I would.

In future I will search before i post ANYTHING on here.

Kallibear

Visit site
I'm sure that's right. It may sound a bit crazy, but I think some of Parelli practitioners actually have a better attitude and "hands" that Pat and Linda themselves.

Very true and something many people forget: the people practising and instructing Parreli are not Pratt Parrelli or Linda themselves. Some are far better at working with horses (although that's not hard).

Just because you're catholic doesn't automatically make you homophobic or anti-abortion. Just because you practice parelli doesn't mean you abuse your horse. People like Andy Spooner's narrowminded 'you obviously just don't undertand because you're not good enough' attitude does the parelli brand no favours but not everyone is like that.

I am very anti Pat and Linda Parelli because they are terrible horse trainers. They lack understand, timing and empathy for the horse. But good natural horsemanship, be it called Parrelli, Kelly Marks, Monty Roberts, Mark Rashid etc is still good horsemanship, same as good 'tradtiional' horsemansship is still good horsemanship. Even if the lead figure is an imcompetant fool it doesn't make everything about the system awful.

NikCscott -your lad is stunning! Welsh pony as it should be :D It looks like you've done a fabulous job and are now sorted for backing your pony. But don't automatically discredit your local train simple because he carries the 'Parelli' label: he may well be kind, competent and understanding towards horses.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I don't claim to know a lot about Parelli - only that I don't understand what it achieves when I watch people on the yard use it! The horses just seem confused to me! :D (although I must add, the horses whose owners practise Parelli are very well looked after and cared for, never punished for no reason etc)
I would second the local producer - one of my friends works on a small producing yard and they have had some fantastic results with the horses people have asked them to help with - usually Sect A - Sect Ds but at the moment have an entire Shetland in with an attitude! :D:D
Just to add, your boy is absolutely stunning and will make one gem of a horse when he is all sorted! :)
K x

Last edited:

Unbeliever

Visit site
Congrats OP for picking up on probably the most contentious issue on H&H. As I'm sure you have realised there are a good few folks who disagree with the Parelli methods. (I looked at page 1 & page 12 - the rest was predictable)
There are a couple of video links which are "uncomfortable" viewing, but I'm sure the same could be said for a number of other trainers.
The thing to remember about the Parelli method is that what they promote is the "partnership" approach with your horse (or pony). This means you have to be involved. It isn't the case that your pony goes to the "Parelli man" and comes back better trained. It's more about you understanding him better and he you. So you have to be involved. If you are involved with the process you can say no to anything which makes you uncomfortable - makes sense?
Anyway, go and enjoy, but stay in control.
ps Hope Your OH got back ok.
pps Have a look at Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling - you can find clips on YouTube.
Have fun.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

I don't think the OP has done anything wrong in making this post.

OP - cracking little pony. Good luck with whatever way you decide to get him trained. I think the outcome will be brilliant - as you sound to have your head well and truly stuck on.

Re your husband :eek::eek::eek: Glad to hear he's safe and on his way home :)