Exciting agility weekend

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Tomorrow I've got a 2 hour group training session with Leah Gardner, I've not trained with her (or anyone except my local club) before so I'm interested to see what we can learn. My club instructor says I'm going to get a huge amount out of it and I'm quite excited ? Has anyone here done any training with Leah?

Then on Sunday we are doing our first ever competition. It's a really low key friendly steeplechase, but at a different venue so will be really interesting to see how Juno reacts to the new venue and different atmosphere.

I'm hoping Mr JB will be able to get some photos and videos on Sunday, and I can update you all with how we got on ?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Never trained with Leah but I've always enjoyed training days, it's a great opportunity to get a fresh pair of eyes on your dog and your handling, enjoy it and report back! ?

My baby dog managed two unaffiliated shows in Feb and March and having turned 18 months was due his first KC show in April *hollow laugh* I think there will be a lot of very polished young dogs in G2 when the shows start again!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Never trained with Leah but I've always enjoyed training days, it's a great opportunity to get a fresh pair of eyes on your dog and your handling, enjoy it and report back! ?

My baby dog managed two unaffiliated shows in Feb and March and having turned 18 months was due his first KC show in April *hollow laugh* I think there will be a lot of very polished young dogs in G2 when the shows start again!

Pickle will be 10 next year, at this rate our next show he will be running in veteran. Still haven't met Baby Shark yet either :(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Have a great weekend!

**side rant alert not aimed at anyone on here**
Not agility but I've predicted that some dogs will be lame before they see their next competition because some people have decided lockdown = overtrain = lots of nice videos for social media.
Just leave the poor thing alone and keep everything normal.....

Karran

Visit site
Good luck! We've been doing 1-2-1 classes for about 2 months now. Just working on some discipline and distance work with Mrs Spaniel and baby steps with Miss Collie.
I've entered Mrs Spaniel into the Paws in the Park comp and another local one for September, she's only grade 1 as we focus more on flyball comps than agility.

I'm dubious about her fitness levels as it was pay and get three runs. We'll monitor it as we go and pull if she looks knackered - she will make it very clear if she's had enough anyway! ?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Well today was very good and interesting, although felt like a lot of standing around.

We started off going through 2 tunnels, one after another which was really unusual, I think every single dog missed the second tunnel on their first go but then went straight through them both the second time.
Then did a run up 3 jumps, with Leah restraining at the beginning. Returned down the line and did a dog toy swap which Juno was very good at. Really concentrating on lots of play at the end of the run.
Then we had the line of 3, left turn to one at a right angle, left turn to come through the 2 tunnels. Juno did this perfectly, she was the only one to get the left turn to the jump at right angle first time, so I was very proud of her.
We then had the trickiest part, same as above except the middle jump in the line of 3 was offset and instead of going through both tunnels, we had to do a blind out of the first tunnel to go back over the offset jump. Because the handler was thinking about turning and coming back for the blind, every single dog missed the jump to the left on a right angle, and we had to do it over and over again until we got it right. Really highlighted how influential body position is.
We finished off with a "blast" as all the dogs were tired as we'd done a lot of brain work. Up through the 2 tunnels then right turn over the jump at a right angle, then right turn to the 3 jumps in a line.

Homework is to send Juno over a jump while I run in the opposite direction, so she follows my send rather than me.
I've also got homework from regular agility to do which is setting up 3 weave poles and sending her into the weave and out again. Wish I had a bigger garden!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
We found the venue no problem, and the lovely organiser explained that it was very friendly and flexible, so although each round was judged, they would be very generous. We walked the course, there were 2 marked out. One was easier and more flowing which we all chose to do first. We ended up going in first and Juno turned totally green! We had to try for the start several times as she went round the jump instead of over it, she hasn't done that for ages. I had to then really nanny her around the course but we did finish on a clear round.
The other 4 dogs then went round, a couple were absolutely super, a spaniel being run by a young girl and a whippet who whipped round very fast!
We then walked the course for the second setup, much more twisty but I thought this might suit Juno more. She came out of the start much better but I wasn't on form and my handling was poor, so we missed a couple of the turns and ended up being eliminated.
For the third run, I chose the second course as it was more challenging for me. Juno again started off green but picked up, had the penultimate fence down which cost us second place but earned us another yellow rosette.
We then had time to go round again for a quick blast (unjudged) and Juno flew round, we went on the first course again which was much faster and more fun for her. No video of this one though!
A really fun day, very much a learning experience and I'm hoping more will be organised as we'll definitely go again.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Brilliant! Well done! Just keep working on it, it's definitely normal for them to lose it a bit at competitions. Sprollie went to complete pieces in his first competition run...and that was in our usual venue! And the Sprollie usually never ever loses focus ever, even when he's asleep... but he skyed himself off the see saw and I had a job on keeping him from pissing on anything. A fair few other dogs had bad first runs too. Just over threshold with nervous owners in tow.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
You both did really well. I don't like to think how many shows we went to before he got round without being eliminated!

And breaking news, I have just entered our first competition of the year!

Annette4

Visit site
Looking fab, I'm tempted to enter our training centers fun show with Dobby as they're doing a baby course for those doing foundations but I just know it's going to be a disaster ?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
You both did really well. I don't like to think how many shows we went to before he got round without being eliminated!

And breaking news, I have just entered our first competition of the year!
Ooh how exciting - when?? Full report needed!
Looking fab, I'm tempted to enter our training centers fun show with Dobby as they're doing a baby course for those doing foundations but I just know it's going to be a disaster ?
Hahaha there was a whippet at our show, she was superb, so quick and agile, and obedient - I have high hopes for you.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Is it by me by any chance? I am so pleased they're going ahead, and the venue couldn't be more convenient, LOL!

It is indeed! I suspect I will struggle to learn courses, as far as I can see we get to walk the agility course , then walk the jumping and then run the agility (or vice versa), my poor brain won't cope with that !