Exercise Sheets

Ceifer

Visit site
Opinions/experience welcome.

I’ve only really used old school Witney blankets when riding out hunters. Probably dated from the 70s, square fronted that you had to fold back under the saddle flaps to secure.

I need to think about getting a couple of exercise sheets as horse now fully clipped and in hard work.

First one thinking waterproof for hacking out as unfortunately I can’t be a fair weather rider and need to ride when I can.
I like the idea of this as would also protect my saddle.
https://www.finerequine.co.uk/colle...y-of-waterproof-hi-vis-ride-on-exercise-sheet
And it’s high viz. has anybody got one of these?

The second for schooling - do people do full schooling sessions in exercise sheets (flatwork)? Do they slip or flap about? I am a bit paranoid about them causing some kind of accident. Although I can’t quite see how ?. I have a mono flap dressage saddle so maybe something like this?
https://www.thermatex.co.uk/thermatex/Thermatex_Quarter_Rug.html

Pics/shopping suggestions also welcomed.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I personally don't like a waterproof sheet right on my saddle, as they feel slippery. I will do a wraparound one over the flap, on a monoflap, as I still have a grippy seat to sit on. I then use a riding coat that covers the saddle seat without being flappy.

I like the highly tailored ones as they don't seem to flap.

I don't like the ones that do up at the front, as they pull on the chest. I like them to do up in front of the saddle and leave the shoulders free.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I like the trainer/competition style ones. I've got a Rambo brown striped one though they do a traditional Witney stripe too and a bright yellow fleece lined for hacking in thr rain.

My bottom keeps my saddle dry, it's cut away where my legs go and I can decide which to use after I've tacked up or take it off in a schooling session if it gets too hot.

Rambo fleece, that was about 10 years ago and it's still going strong though on a different tb

_20221031_205431.JPG

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I prefer quarter sheets - I have a fleece lined Masta high viz one, a cheap cotton lined high viz off ebay and a navy Horseware sheet.

I do use a wraparound Mercury sheet for hacking in the dark.

I just use a waterproof saddle cover for wet weather riding, mine isn't slippy at all.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Second the ones that do up in front of the saddle- I put the sheet under the saddle flap though, I have a fear of getting tangled in it otherwise. Probably the velcro would give out before that was an issue, but it still unsettles me. It's also another thing to remember before leaping off for gates etc!
For protecting the saddle I'd say either a waterproof ride on saddle cover (slidey but fine on a sensible horse) or a long coat.
Go waterproof every time- you can get fleece lined sheets that will be warmer, but a wool/fleece sheet without waterproofing is going to be soggy and useless in a downpour.
I've had one that went under the saddle like a numnah before- never again, the saddle was sliding around dreadfully!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Non-waterproof I’ve got a Thermatex which you need to fold back under saddle flaps as otherwise your legs don’t touch the horse. It fits very nicely over the rump. I’ve also got the Rambo same as Criso but in blue stripe. I like both. For waterproof I’ve got a Mark Todd and an Amigo competition sheet both of which I like. The MT is a bit deeper.

I bought a Harrison Howard Climax Exercise Sheet Competition rug Fleece Waterproof and it was terrible quality.

McFluff

Visit site
I’ve got the thermatex. It’s fab and stays put even in strong winds. I have a mono flap saddle and it attaches to the stirrup loop keeper thingys.
For wetter days I have an amigo quarter sheet (fleece lined) and wear a long jacket to keep me and saddle dry. It also seems to be stable, although I must admit to wimping out when it’s raining and very windy.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The Rambo one I have is wool but very dense. I've been caught in the rain with it but the rain doesn't go tbrough. It also stays put as it's thick. Someone bought a cheap version which looked nice but was too thin and light.

I'm toying with the idea of Thermatex quarter sheet or trainer (cut back version) in the seconds sale.

Squeak

Visit site
I’ve had the Rambo fleece ones the same as Criso for over ten years and love them. They fit really well, are proper thick fleece so keeps them warm and wicks away any sweat. They also still looks pretty much as good as new and have had a lot of use.

I use the yellow stripe one for hacking and found it kept the horses dry even in the pouring rain because it wicked the water away from the horse.

For protecting you and your saddle in the rain have a look at a riding skirt. I bought one after recommendations on here and have been really pleased with it.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
I’ve had the Rambo fleece ones the same as Criso for over ten years and love them. They fit really well, are proper thick fleece so keeps them warm and wicks away any sweat. They also still looks pretty much as good as new and have had a lot of use.

I use the yellow stripe one for hacking and found it kept the horses dry even in the pouring rain because it wicked the water away from the horse.

For protecting you and your saddle in the rain have a look at a riding skirt. I bought one after recommendations on here and have been really pleased with it.

Which skirt did you go for?

catkin

Visit site
I have the Shires waterproof hi-viz wraparound one for my pony. We live in a rather windy spot so always put it under the saddleflaps.
Pony has a high blanket clip so doesn't need often need a sheet for schooling warmup. I do have an ancient thermalux wraparound for the odd occasion we might need it - and very useful it is too

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I like the trainer/competition style ones. I've got a Rambo brown striped one though they do a traditional Witney stripe too and a bright yellow fleece lined for hacking in thr rain.

My bottom keeps my saddle dry, it's cut away where my legs go and I can decide which to use after I've tacked up or take it off in a schooling session if it gets too hot.

Rambo fleece, that was about 10 years ago and it's still going strong though on a different tb

View attachment 101613

I've got these and they are just the best they are a heavy fleece so they don't flap or move and they go in the washing machine, not cheapest but definitely the best in my opinion.

Widgeon

Visit site
I prefer quarter sheets -

I've tried several exercise sheets and found them all to end up pulling backwards around the saddle with the horse's movement - no idea why, perhaps my horse is special in a bad way. Also the waterproof ones can be slippery underneath. A proper Witney blanket ought (I think) to work better, but honestly the number of days when it's cold but dry are so few that it would be a waste of money! Our YO does full schooling sessions and hacks in a proper heavy wool exercise sheet - if they're heavy they won't move or flap like the cheap fleece ones.

I've just ordered a fleece lined hi-viz waterproof quarter sheet from DoPo coats so hopefully that will stay put rather better than the under-the-saddle jobs.

Ceifer

Visit site
Just realised - quarter sheets and exercise sheets.
I have used the wrap around style and found it slipped back but maybe it wasn’t the right size for the horse.

ponynutz

Visit site
I do prefer one over the saddle as I've found ones that wrap around the saddle slip back and leave a little gap between saddle and the bit that covers her bum (could just be bc she has quite a short back).

Widgeon

Visit site
I have used the wrap around style and found it slipped back but maybe it wasn’t the right size for the horse.

I'm not sure, I've tried a couple of different sizes and styles of wraparound exercise sheet on my horse and they all slip back. I can't work out how to stop it.

jnb

Visit site
As I have big wide cob and I also have a matching big wide saddle (and arse!) I struggled with some of the wrap around exercise sheets that do up with Velcro in front of the saddle, the "hole" just wasn't big enough for the saddle without clamping around it.

For waterproof I use Mark Todd Hi Viz. They do a Blue or Brown one too.

and I have a custom Ecqo Doesitall (like Thermatex) quarter sheet for non hi viz moments.

Birker2020

Visit site
Opinions/experience welcome.

I’ve only really used old school Witney blankets when riding out hunters. Probably dated from the 70s, square fronted that you had to fold back under the saddle flaps to secure.

I need to think about getting a couple of exercise sheets as horse now fully clipped and in hard work.

First one thinking waterproof for hacking out as unfortunately I can’t be a fair weather rider and need to ride when I can.
I like the idea of this as would also protect my saddle.
https://www.finerequine.co.uk/colle...y-of-waterproof-hi-vis-ride-on-exercise-sheet
And it’s high viz. has anybody got one of these?

The second for schooling - do people do full schooling sessions in exercise sheets (flatwork)? Do they slip or flap about? I am a bit paranoid about them causing some kind of accident. Although I can’t quite see how ?. I have a mono flap dressage saddle so maybe something like this?
https://www.thermatex.co.uk/thermatex/Thermatex_Quarter_Rug.html

Pics/shopping suggestions also welcomed.
This was my get up
1667305663231.png

catkin

Visit site
I'm not sure, I've tried a couple of different sizes and styles of wraparound exercise sheet on my horse and they all slip back. I can't work out how to stop it.
If you are handy with a needle try sewing a piece of narrow elastic across the hole, then flip it over the cantle.

oldie48

Visit site
I have a thermatex Q sheet for schooling and love it. Easy to put on, stays put and just as easy to remove when the horse has warmed up (if needed). I do hack in it but also have a Mark Todd fleece lined waterproof sheet for really cold weather hacking which fastens in front of the saddle and a lightweight waterproof for when it's warmer (also Mark Todd I think). Both do a great job and keep the horse dry enough to turn out in a rug.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have the first one you’ve linked. It’s really beautifully made. I have the summer weight one. I’d never use it in summer of course but if it’s bitterly cold I thought I could stick a fleece under but figured I’d get more use out of the thinner one.
It’s not slippery to ride on. I did find it the wrong size for my saddle which was a tiny flat mono flap jump. I now have a bigger saddle
So hope it will fit much better.

jnb

Visit site
I have one of these. I'm really pleased with it. It doesn’t move or slip or flap- I go out in all weather and it’s pretty exposed where I live. I don’t do much schooling but have lunged in it. I don’t know how well it will wash because I haven’t washed it or had it washed yet.
https://yarisequestrian.com/product/yaris-waterproof-exercise-sheet/

I love these however why don't they do a fluorescent piping/flashes and fabric, I wonder? I use exercise sheets mostly for hacking and the reflective and hi viz properties are the most important bit (after it fitting and keeping horse dry obviously!) For that purpose they have cut their customer base in half :(