Dressage Exercises to improve seat/position

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am sure loads of people say work without stirrups but I would just say to take care with that and only to small spells to begin with if you decide to go that way, otherwise if you lack a bit of stability or strength it can make you tense up other areas unintentionally and then it's not that beneficial ;)

what in particular do you think has gone to pot? :)

DirectorFury

Visit site
what in particular do you think has gone to pot? :)

I could win an award for the biggest chair seat! Because of the chair seat I'm falling behind the movement if she trips/slips/spooks. I'm also tipping forwards if I make an effort to push my legs back/under me.
I've been doing 2 minutes without stirrups when we go up and down the lane to the yard but even without them my legs seem to want to be in a chair seat. My best guess is that something is tight with my hips?

The saddle is a very forward cut jump one so that is probably not helping, though I never struggled to this extent before! I've got a saddler coming out next month to try a dressage saddle with a narrow twist on her to see if that helps.

AnShanDan

Visit site
I've sort of got back into riding regularly recently, for many years I took a back seat to my kids and went for the occasional hack, but various circumstances have dropped 2 nice horses into my lap to ride.

So, I felt very, very rusty and was looking for help (as well as lessons obv.). We had a copy of Mary Wanless book Ride with your Mind and I have been trying to put the advice in it into action, constantly thinking about my position and correcting it. Mirrors help too.

I have been working on my core strength off the horses as well. Think it is slowly helping, instructor was out last week for first time since early Dec. and she was amazed at the difference in my riding (sounds like I'm boasting, I'm def. not, it was pretty bad to begin with :))

sportsmansB

Visit site
Can you go for lunge lessons on a schoolmaster somewhere? I went quite defensive after riding young sharp horses and then went on a dressage holiday to portugal where I was able to have a lunge lesson every day. Made a massive difference as I wasn't thinking about the horse at all and was able to just focus on sitting.
Could do with another go now though, that was about 5 years ago and most of it is gone again!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yes sounds like your hips might be a bit on the tight side . Not an expert in rider position but I have memories of instructors grabbing your leg, hoiking it out to the side and then putting it back in the right place - agony if you have tight hips, mine aren't but that puts all my muscles in spasm :eek: probably some non-ridden exercises to help this would be beneficial ;)

lauracwd2

Visit site
I have very tight hip flexors (too much sitting at a desk!) so I struggle to get my legs in a good position. Off the horse look up hip flexor stretches, there are a few you can do and they will help if done regularly. On the horse as MP says above lift your leg away from the saddle and out to the side as far as you can, movement needs to come from the hip not the knee, repeat on both sides. If you have a sadistic friend they can physically manipulate your leg - that will hurt! Also swing your legs back and forward from the hip, either one side at a time or both together and then raising your knees up above your saddle and then back down.

madamebonnie

Visit site
Hip flexor and piriformis stretches are most likely what you need. But what will work better is going to see a physio who can release these for you. If you can then keep it up with stretching it will make the world of difference.

The fire hydrant exercise is a good all rounder to strengthen glutes and core. If it gets too easy add in a resistant band.

I tried franklin balls after complaining I had forgotten how to ride after a two week holiday...so wierd but so good for proprioceptive feedback. Ride in them for 10 mins to warm up and then take them away. You will be so aware of your body!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Thanks all, I won't quote posts as it'll make this super long (!) but I appreciate all the help :).

This is probably quite a big core strength issue as well as whatever is going on with my hips - in 2 point my lower legs are slipping backwards almost straight away.
Nowhere round here does lunge lessons but there's a mechanical horse just up the road from me. I'll try and book a few weeks of lessons on that :).
Last time someone tried the 'grab leg and pull' trick my hip came halfway out of its socket and I ended up in a heap on the floor so I'm keen to avoid that :p. I've tried to do it myself within the level of movement I have but obviously don't have enough of the leverage needed! Interestingly lifting my knees above the saddle also has a similar effect on my hip.

I'm doing nearly an hour of pilates every night so I should be flexible and have a strong core but it's clearly not translating well to horseback. I was seeing a physio but they made most of my problems worse so I stopped going. I'm reluctant to go back as they really did make things a million times worse.

Plan of action appears to be:
- Mechanical horse lessons
- More pilates/yoga/core strength work

sportsmansB

Visit site
We had a fairly old school instructor who used to put a stuffed sock down inside each thigh (between thigh and saddle) which had the effect of lifting the thigh away and back. Placed diagonally, just over 1/2 way up from the knee. Its hard to describe sorry

ponyparty

Visit site
I have the same problem - 12 months out of the saddle (and had a baby). I had a go on "Mechanical Millie" in the summer https://www.eequine.co.uk/simulator/ (while I was pregnant) and the lovely girl pointed out how tight my right hip flexor is compared to my left. My right leg actually appears shorter and I can see that it sits further forward against the saddle flap than my left. Could be worthwhile seeing if she's coming to your area any time soon, it really reveals exactly where your weaknesses are!

I had my first riding lesson today after 12 months off (not on my own horse, he's still at water treadmill bootcamp) and I still have this hip flexor issue. I too am going to have some lessons on a mechanical horse, there is one nearby, and I am also already doing Pilates. But I think physio is probably required too - I've found one nearby who does physio for riders and horses, and can assess you on the ground and in the saddle, and assess the horse too, and provide a treatment program for you both. So I think I'm going to check her out. Might be worth seeing if there's anything similar in your area.

I also have a book "Pilates for Equestrians" which I really need to sit down and read properly and start doing some exercises from - can't speak for how effective it is yet as haven't really used it.

Oh and check this out: https://www.facebook.com/balancedrideruk/ I'm looking at booking onto one of her workshops (if I can ever figure out how to use the bleddi booking system, either it isn't set up properly or I am seriously technologically challenged! Probably the latter haha)

oldie48

Visit site
I have a tendency to a chair seat, forward rotated pelvis and tight hip flexors are the main cause and exercises do help. I'm also a fan of franklin balls, sit on the green ones and I can really feel a difference, used them a lot with Bisto and intending to start using them again now I trust Rose. Also the ones that you can put under your thigh, I've only used them once as I don't own any but they def did help. Pilates is great, I've got a strong core but don't aways engage it when I ride, so that's also something you can think about. However what does make a huge difference is treatment from a good back person, the one I use does a mix of Mctimoney and lots of massage. She does a wonderful but rather painful crunch of my pubis bone which straightens me out a treat. Well worth perservering I'm pretty old and creaky and i can still get ressults although I'll never have a classic dressage seat sadly.

Surbie

Visit site
I have a horribly tight left hip, which means I sit to the right rather more than would be advisable just so I can move my blasted left leg in the saddle.

I went to see a rider physio in Hampshire before Christmas, it hurt a LOT but I am sitting straighter now and hopefully in a few months will be even better. She gave me specific exercises & they aren't always the most fun (particularly the piriformis release and the clam thing) but they are working. If you're anywhere near I would totally recommend her.

Last edited: