Expecting an exciting delivery...

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Another Lottie update. After Chatsworth I decided to do one more 80 at Eland then step up to BE90. Eland went well with a rolled pole SJ then a fab clear within the time. And that’s a tricky 80 so definitely felt ready to step up to 90 as it’s only the dressage holding us back - and that’s no different in the 90. So I entered the BE at Stafford which was cancelled, ditto Cholmondely.
So I’ve entered Kelsall unaff at end of July and the team event at Eland mid August. But being logically ready does not mean feeling psychologically ready! 90s scare me. They still look enormous.

To replace the cancelled Stafford, we went to the combined training at Kelsall. I wanted to do the 80 show jumping because the 90 was a BS track which I knew would be harder than a BE SJ round. But the 80 had a novice test whereas the 90 had a BE90 test - equivalent to prelim. I was driving myself mad with indecision so thought I’ll just do both ?.

And Lottie was better in the N24 and jumped a fab clear in the 90. One of only 4 clears from a class of 12. So I just need to stop doubting her, stop doubting myself and be a bit braver in accepting challenges.

It’s a fab milestone for me because I never got above 90 in competition with Amber and I’ve now gone clear at 90 with Lottie.

So, so happy with her. She is so easy to manage out and about, so bold and focused. Could not resist lots of pics.

Dressage is the weak link but I'm pleased with how calm and obedient she was. I need to sit UP! Why Am I tilted over liking a listing ship :rolleyes:

292502054_186811597111763_2639225187905510200_n.jpg

Then onto jumping and she's in her Happy Place!

294071927_186811613778428_1417704030101812547_n.jpg

293056564_186811603778429_7558267206185427150_n.jpg
294330233_5326283874118317_2083226596289256169_n.jpg
294270188_5326282090785162_6735425060876559246_n.jpg

And all smiles at the end

294235063_5326281400785231_3572182521035757479_n.jpg

ITPersonnage

Visit site
I so love seeing you two and what you get up to, what a fab partnership. You really look like you've met your match with her, you have so deserved to be successful.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Super happy with Lottie - again! My usual RI has changed her day and I can’t get there so today I went somewhere new with a new SJ trainer who advertised a cancellation slot. Well out of my comfort zone to just turn up and see how it went but I’m trying to ‘just do it’ a bit more often. After warming up we started around 90 then ended at 100+! Trainer was fab and Lottie jumped really well. And after the lesson the trainer asked if I’d consider selling her as she really liked her. Nope but nice to be asked!
6F0F1FA4-9D65-4D88-B659-B9D964B9C0FD.jpgB0D98CA9-C3E7-40B4-A1C0-48CD8F9956A2.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I’ve focused on her schooling and jumping but actually this week has reminded me what a great hacking horse she is too. Sharer took her out with another rider and they started being herded by a load of curious young cows. Other horse/rider (who hack all the time - that’s what they truly love) got agitated and got off to lead. Sharer used Lottie as a barrier between the cows and the other pair. She basically just moved them around/back. Lottie the cow pony. Then yesterday she was out with another reliable hacking horse. She was happy in front, behind or being left. He bounced/broncced when behind in canter and rider yelled for Katie to stop and she came back to trot immediately. He also napped when asked to ride independently whereas Lottie was not phased by him doing his own thing. Katie has only ever ridden her once and never hacked her but was fine just hopping on and going for a blast across the fields. She then walked calmly afterwards. She just doesn’t put a foot wrong out hacking. Amber was a bit of a nightmare to hack! Lottie is helping me rediscover the love ❤️

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well Lottie arrived in the UK this week a year ago. I was on holiday when she arrived as her sailing was delayed so she spent 3 weeks at my pro-friend's schooling/sales livery yard where she was described as "uneducated, with no idea what a contact is, not on the aids, not straight, not supple. Basically a "wibblwobbly plank of wood!’ But genuine and willing with potential and jumps very well. Grumpy not overly fond of people." I have had so much fun this year, getting to know her, trying to rebuild the basics and helping her learn that humans aren't so bad after all.

My 'gotcha' day is 20th August as that is when I first met her and decided she was staying. So I'll do a fuller update then but she has been everything I dreamed of and more. I am so lucky and thankful to have her in my life.

297994511_5383171665096204_1703777565553544785_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Never posted our 1 year anniversary post here. It's elsewhere but nice to have the whole story in one place.

Since then we went clear at Frickey 90 over a tough track then had a fantastic time at camp. She is fab. 2 weeks till Norton Disney then our season ends and she us having a short break before we pick up again.

I am re-thinking the 'chucking in a field for a month' plan.

She hates wind and rain and refuses to leave the field shelter - not even to come in. Here she is saying 'go away and come back later when it isn't raining before expecting me to walk across the field to the yard' :D.

310742335_10166905407110578_6735564598106920394_n.jpg
She does not lie down either so the minute she gets into her stable she heaves a sigh of relief and kips for a few hours.

310582606_10166905666660578_6894636490182013047_n.jpg

So she may be happier coming in at night. And also she has done a lot less work recently as my work has gone insane. So since camp 2 weeks ago she has just been hacked twice a week and schooled once and that's it. So by the time she does her last event in 2 weeks she will have had an easy month anyway.

So I'm thinking 2 weeks off, then hacking for a month to mentally decompress without losing fitness. Then start the 2023 campaign!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
No idea if this of any interest whatsoever, but it interests me! When Lottie arrived she needed to learn to be caught and to lead politely. I really like horses who are easy to deal with on the ground so I also taught her various other groundwork type stuff - yielding, following a feel, backing, turning, flexing, waiting politely. Not as an end in istelf but because it is useful to have a horse who will do all those things. And this week that training came into good use.

Lottie is now in a really awkard field. The gate is narrow, the field slopes steeply up from the gate and it swings shut automatically. The first time I turned her out, the gate caught her as we went past so I decided there had to be an easier way. So the next time I stood on her offside while she waited politely so I could open the gate and lean against it to keep it open. Then I sent her throgh on her own but the rope is only normal length so she also had to then turn and wait. All on a loose lead rein. So she needed to follow the forward feel, to go past me, then a flex feel to turn then stand and wait till I could scramble up to join her. Then I could take the halter off. And she did it all perfectly first time of asking. So today I sort of tried to video it. The challenge was increased as Amnber was aready out and neighing at her. But she was fab. So here it is.

My commentary is rubbish but hope you get the idea! It really looks so basic but a year ago this would have been completely impossible. She would have been bargy, pushy, rushing through, trying to pull away etc. So this made me very happy!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/74daw7GH4_Q

palo1

Visit site
No idea if this of any interest whatsoever, but it interests me! When Lottie arrived she needed to learn to be caught and to lead politely. I really like horses who are easy to deal with on the ground so I also taught her various other groundwork type stuff - yielding, following a feel, backing, turning, flexing, waiting politely. Not as an end in istelf but because it is useful to have a horse who will do all those things. And this week that training came into good use.

Lottie is now in a really awkard field. The gate is narrow, the field slopes steeply up from the gate and it swings shut automatically. The first time I turned her out, the gate caught her as we went past so I decided there had to be an easier way. So the next time I stood on her offside while she waited politely so I could open the gate and lean against it to keep it open. Then I sent her throgh on her own but the rope is only normal length so she also had to then turn and wait. All on a loose lead rein. So she needed to follow the forward feel, to go past me, then a flex feel to turn then stand and wait till I could scramble up to join her. Then I could take the halter off. And she did it all perfectly first time of asking. So today I sort of tried to video it. The challenge was increased as Amnber was aready out and neighing at her. But she was fab. So here it is.

My commentary is rubbish but hope you get the idea! It really looks so basic but a year ago this would have been completely impossible. She would have been bargy, pushy, rushing through, trying to pull away etc. So this made me very happy!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/74daw7GH4_Q

Lovely. Lottie is a very lucky horse!! :)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've taught all of my horses this. It's very basic and they learn it quickly. It's also super convenient. It's nice if there are other horses at the gate too, when I bring in because I can open the gate and he walks himself through and waits on the other side while I deal with the gate. Also works for tricky gates as you've noticed :) I generally throw the lead rope over their neck and they know what to do.

Sounds like you've made great progress!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I've taught all of my horses this. It's very basic and they learn it quickly. It's also super convenient. It's nice if there are other horses at the gate too, when I bring in because I can open the gate and he walks himself through and waits on the other side while I deal with the gate. Also works for tricky gates as you've noticed :) I generally throw the lead rope over their neck and they know what to do.

Useful for loading too! I like them to walk in on their own.

Michen

Visit site

I didn’t know horses shouldn’t know this lol, I can’t think of any that haven’t just naturally picked it up that I’ve had!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well you’d think all horses would be taught this- or be handled in ways that mean they pick it up over time - but so many aren’t. Lottie was 8 when she came to me and was rude, impatient & bargy. Wouldn’t stand still, dragged people to the field etc. So it’s nice to see the changes over the last 12 months or so X

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
So we have had pur post season break which went on for far longer then planned as the weather turned Arctic then I got ill. So she has done a load of groundwork and hacking but no schooling and jumping till this week. Finally picked her up again and she feels great. She is so fit and muscled. She feels very very well. Too well really - she is a lot more powerful than she was. But she is also relaxed and obedient. If a little spookier/on her toes. Jumped her today for the first time snce September and she listened and waited and felt keen and confident. So all in all, she is feeling in a good place to start her training with the aim of getting out eventing in March. If 2023 is anywhere near as special at 2022 was, I will be very, very happy.

SEL

Visit site
I didn’t know horses shouldn’t know this lol, I can’t think of any that haven’t just naturally picked it up that I’ve had!
My youngster (nice but dim ?) will just stand in the gateway politely waiting while you sink into the mud rather than walk on a few steps. We did some practice in the field and he was fine. At the actual gateway though = does not compute