Experience ideas as a gift

Chris Packet

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I'm struggling to find ideas for my partner this year for Christmas, there is nothing else that puts a smile on her face quite like a horse and seeing her face light up when riding warms my heart! I was hoping to find ideas here! :)

I usually like to get experiences. In the past I've got her jousting lessons and courses on horse combat (which was incredible), then also hacking holidays away somewhere.

Has anyone got ideas? I've exhausted my Googling ability! The more unique/unusual the better. Ideally North of England but if it's worth the travel then certainly recommend those ideas too. She has her own horse if required with exceptional riding skills. Doesn't necessarily have to involve riding but the horsey-er the better! Budget wise, I'd like to say a few hundred, I appreciated it can really vary.

Thanks so much.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If your willing to travel recycled racehorses do an absolutely fabulous day where you get to ride one of their horses whilst working a bird of prey. I would love to do it, its on my bucket list!

fankino04

Visit site
How would you fancy riding a skateboard behind her horse and the pair of you go horse boarding? Looks great fun but my OH isn't up for it at all lol

abbijay

Visit site
How about a learn to drive day?
My friend and I did one a few weeks ago at Huddart Heavy Horses (on the Cheshire/Shropshire border). www.hhhorses.uk We would definitely recommend it.

I also did a sidesaddle clinic on my loan shire before he went home - I loved it - and many years ago we took the clydesdale to learn horseboarding.

I still have polo on the list of things to do!

Chris Packet

New User
Visit site
If your willing to travel recycled racehorses do an absolutely fabulous day where you get to ride one of their horses whilst working a bird of prey. I would love to do it, its on my
bucket list!

This is amazing! I've booked this and she loves the idea, thank you! I didn't want to reply saying I have done until it was given to her as no idea if she browses this forum or not. :D

Polo trial lessons / days? But recycled racehorses day sound interesting..must mention to my OH

We've done Polo and it was brilliant, I even had a go and scored a goal but that was only because I couldn't ride well and waiting by the opponents goal was the easiest thing for me to do, it paid off! Haha.

As above, perhaps a western experience day, you could join in the fun too.
Western Experience Day - Sovereign Quarter Horses

This looks great, will consider this in the future.

How would you fancy riding a skateboard behind her horse and the pair of you go horse boarding? Looks great fun but my OH isn't up for it at all lol

I did come across this and it looks crazy / dangerous fun! Does anyone actually do an experience day? I could maybe give it a go at walk/trot!

Does she have her own horse? Maybe a stay-away at Talland, or a clinic with Ben Atkinson?

Ben Atkinson is fab, I've had lessons with his farther at their farm and he got me to canter for the first time within the first lesson, without stirrups! They are a family of horse whisperers!

Chris Packet

New User
Visit site
Hello I am back in the search for another unique horse/equine experience for an experienced rider.

We did the falconry experience and it was fantastic, lovely man and birds... hopefully I can find something else new??

I've looked at Western and Carriage, both good possibilities but perhaps something more bespoke or unusual out there to do? Please share any ideas. :)

BallyJ

Visit site
Good heavens - at those prices she’d need to be working very hard indeed to make people happy 😲. An ‘ownership’ day costs ‘from £950’ …
I don't think its fair that you've chosen the most expensive item to look at and poke fun at. £950 for exclusive hire of 14 Friesian horses with the possibility to ride multiple and carriage drive doesn't seem bad value to me, but we all have our own budgets 🤷‍♀️

abbijay

Visit site
Good heavens - at those prices she’d need to be working very hard indeed to make people happy 😲. An ‘ownership’ day costs ‘from £950’ …
For the first time ever Cumbrian Heavy Horses looks cheap!
I like that you can do the "cheap" option of £80 for a 45 minute chat over Teams. :eek:
I did a "driving experience" last year at Cheshire Carriage Company for a full day including a gourmet lunch and snacks for £160 for 2 of us - it would be £400 if we'd wanted Friesians instead of shires and only half a day, no food!!

Chris Packet

New User
Visit site
For the first time ever Cumbrian Heavy Horses looks cheap!
I like that you can do the "cheap" option of £80 for a 45 minute chat over Teams. :eek:
I did a "driving experience" last year at Cheshire Carriage Company for a full day including a gourmet lunch and snacks for £160 for 2 of us - it would be £400 if we'd wanted Friesians instead of shires and only half a day, no food!!

Was that at https://www.hhhorses.uk ? It has had a few recommendations, would you recommend it too?

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I don't think its fair that you've chosen the most expensive item to look at and poke fun at. £950 for exclusive hire of 14 Friesian horses with the possibility to ride multiple and carriage drive doesn't seem bad value to me, but we all have our own budgets 🤷‍♀️
Not poking fun just genuinely astonished - and it’s ‘from £950’ thereby leaving the strong impression that riding multiple Friesians (but only if you’re a good enough rider which is fair enough I suppose) could be considerably more. And the cheaper options aren’t exactly cheap ..

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
https://www.thefriesianexperience.org/stable-stays

omg!!! 😨

I'd be interested to know what they can do riding wise, the profiles of the horses sound like they are beautifully cared for and they put their best interests first, which is great, however if I was paying that much to ride one I'd want to be able to have a go at some of the advanced moves if I were capable - it doesn't really state this in the profiles

Certainly comes across as they really care for the horses, removing them from being used by clients if not in their best interests

Dixiegirl

New User
Visit site
I live near to the Friesian experience and I believe you don't actually ride them, you can stay in an area next to the horse, they do amazing charity work, and the horses are so well loved by the family and team . They do therapy with the horses with people who have many different issues. They do the Cartmel father Christmas every year and help to raise money for local charities.