Experience of loaning out horse/pony or a bit of a wwyd

Amicus

Visit site
Hi hoping for a bit of wisdom/advice

I have a pony who I've had for about 10yr from a tricky project he's now a fun hack and hunter and pretty essy but I'm struggling with time and feel that I'm struggling with the balance in life and not making the most of him or everything else.

He's not a tricky pony but isn't totally straight forward either and is in his teens + would get laminitis if wasn't managed / worked.

I feel loaning him out would be the most thing but I'm getting nervous of him going out and being managed badly, not having fun or coming back lame (never had previous lameness issues I'm just generally having a worry.)

I may also have option of keeping him but paying for him to be looked after but excercise might be patchy and seems a bit of a waste when he could be great for someone.

Any advice/thoughts/reassurance/warning appreciated!

maya2008

Visit site
I have loaned out twice. Never again. Selling on has worked well (happy ponies I could keep in touch with). If you want to keep, then sharers seem a safer bet than loaning (in my personal experience).

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Can you opt to find a 'full sharer' type arrangement? So horse stays at current yard/ set up, but someone contributes financially to ride as many times a week as they like? Or alternatively find 2 sharers who have their own set days? That way you can control of the management and keep an eye on him, but someone else can enjoy the riding element.

Pmf27

Visit site
I'm currently loaning and it's taken me well over two years, since I first started looking properly, to getting the horse I am now looking after.

I'm in my late twenties and have taken the time to make sure that the horse is absolutely right for me, taking into consideration all requirements and both my own/the horse's needs.

Just letting you know really that sensible, considerate loaners are out there and it just may take you a little time to find the right one - as it took me time to fight the right horse.

I'm part loaning and the horse stays on her yard, so that sounds as though it may be a suitable option for you? Then you get to keep a handle on the situation.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Loans can work well but you need to be a bit careful. I've had several horses on loan over the years and my ridden horse now is a loan. I offered references and his owner visited the yard etc , he gets treated like one of my own and I send updates now and then. Loaning from your yard gives a higher degree of control but less choice of people who may be interested.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I got a sharer when I was struggling to find the time to look after my mare properly. She looks after mare 3 days a week. Doesn't pay anything, I was looking for a sharer to help with the workload not the finances.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would look for a sharer .
I do have a horse on loan he’s my TB J he’s with a friend doing light hacking living out it’s worked very well for him but you can’t micro manage a horse once it’s on loan .

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If you can I would keep your horse at your present yard and ask for a sharer rather than send away.

I've been both a loanee AND a loaner; and there are three people involved in the loan equation who must ALL be happy. Namely Owner, Loanee, and Yard Owner. There needs to be Transparency, Communication, and Trust between all three. If any of these three things are not there - or are shaky - then the loan will flounder.

I've just had a loan situation at my yard go t!ts-up (I'm a YO). Frankly because the Owner just wasn't ready to "let go" of their horse and started exhibiting anxiety about various issues after the loan agreement had been signed (only yesterday! Jeezus). She wasn't happy about being told that although the loan agreement says that she can visit her horse, in future she couldn't just rock-up and see her horse at any time (as she did this morning) she would have to give notice & make an appointment and/or we would have to fix a schedule for visiting. She felt this was unreasonable. She had thoroughly referenced and researched us, visited twice, and just was patently not happy in spite of all of us (loanee & myself) giving reassurance and being open and honest.

The loan is finishing as I write and transport is being arranged to get the horse back to her again ...............

Loaning is hard, you are letting go of something very precious, and not everyone is ready for that step; which is why I would suggest you consider Share in the first instance. That way you would have control over the management of your horse.

Ahrena

Visit site
I would go for a share.
I’ve been a loaner and ended up purchasing both horses.

I now loan one out but his loaner shared him for several years prior to me handing over the reins completely and I’m not sure I could’ve done without that period. It evolved naturally as I didn’t ride him anymore (semi retired) and needed to move my
mare onto part livery because of work. She adores him and cares for him beautifully.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
If you go for a loan and don't know the person get references. I agree a share may be better.

I loaned a 22yr old horse for a year and looked after her like she was mine. I knew her owner and she had an open invite to come see her.
She's only just gone back 2 weeks ago.

rowan666

Visit site
I would look for a sharer. I recently thought I'd had great full loaners but having them returned literally crippled (different reasons, neither acceptable) I would never full loan again, it seems they think if they f@ck the horse up they can just return it rather than cover vets bills or think they know better than the owner who knows the horse best and do as they please rather than do as owner states!

maya2008

Visit site
I would look for a sharer. I recently thought I'd had great full loaners but having them returned literally crippled (different reasons, neither acceptable) I would never full loan again, it seems they think if they f@ck the horse up they can just return it rather than cover vets bills or think they know better than the owner who knows the horse best and do as they please rather than do as owner states!

I think it isn’t always even deliberate, I have seen loans go wrong in situations where the loaner has other impeccably cared for owned horses who remain in perfect health. I think there is a subconscious bias ‘it’s not mine’ and that somehow changes how people handle them. For me, I loaned as a child and have had two with me short-term as an adult. Having someone else’s horse sends me in the opposite direction - it isn’t mine so I worry about every decision, double and triple check everything, worry about ground and workload and the pony gets wrapped in cotton wool!

Also, sometimes the loan pony/horse has needs that may not be obvious until the management changes at the new yard - my Shetland went down with laminitis despite being free of it for over 5 years. Her workload dropped in the loan home, and they feed normal hay rather than high fibre haylage. Either change would probably have been fine on their own, but both together created a perfect storm that no one saw coming. If you get a sharer, the management stays the same, so less likely to have issues from that.