Experienced Riders Please = Canter Issue

katiejaye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, but youve posted this at least 2 times now about your horse just spaced over the months.......

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah I just realised that too...I thought it felt like de ja vous! I have replied the same thing to this query about 3 times now
crazy.gif

Caritas

Visit site
Thankyou all for your replys. And I am sorry if you feel I have posted this several times but didnt have much response before. Like I said Parisienne_Girl I do appreciate your views fully but there is more than one way, and I would like many opinions as I have tried several.

Caritas

Visit site
Cant lunge this horse in the pessoa as he will not accept it in the canter, he is worse than when I ride him. He canters fine in the field and on the lunge without any training aids but as soon as you use them he starts to tense up. The pessoa is the worse, he cannot get used to having it around his back end and it really throws him onto the forehand. His will tollerate sidereins and relax eventually but again gets thrown onto the forehand.

katiejaye

Visit site
I know you have said it can't possibly be a physical issue but it seems that if you have tried so many things and it's not improving then there may be some other issue. I would get a second opinion on back and saddle as some horses can be very sensitive to small changes or discomfort. I know straight away when Louis's saddle needs reflocking or his pelvis is slightly out as he stops coming through behind and gets heavy on the forehand. He has regular sessions with an equine sports masseuse and sees the back lady once every couple of months and this really helps. Also you may want to check yourself as it may be that you are unbalanced? Just an idea to see a physio and make sure.

Have you tried lungeing with a de gogue. I find this really useful for getting Lou to stretch over his back without leaning.

Otherwise I think patience is the key, some things take longer to develop than others. It's taken Louis several months for his canter to come on and improve. Just keep working on the exercises suggested above by others and take it slowley.

Astra

Visit site
Katie, can you let me know, either on the open forum or by PM, who you have for Louis's back? I need someone to take a look at my chap and you aren't too far from me.

Thanks

A x

Partoow

Visit site
Weezy, if you really would like some help or i can be of any use please let me know. pm me or something.
wink.gif

Andelusional

Visit site
You dont give your horses type/size /training level which would be helpful, but this is the thought I have reading the above.
In each canter stride press down through your seat into the saddle at the 'bottom' of each sequence, this encourages the horse to push up against you and so lift his back. If he lifts his back he cannot be either tense or on his forehand. Also each stride 'rock' your inside shoulder back as the lead fore comes forward, this keeps the horse from locking the poll and jaw and drawing the head back.
This is used by me with all my pupils and was gleaned from a list 2 judge and group 2 rider!

beaconhorse

Visit site
Relaxation is the FIRST thing to achieve if riding long and low and on the forehand is the only way then do it and you WILL be able to pick him up, maybe not right away but it is THE ONLY way