Failing to find a freelancer to teach at my Riding School?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Well this is an eye opening post!

I work as head instructor on saturdays for a charity and only charge £10/hour freelance. I have total responsibility for all other instructors /helpers, horses and riders!
I have my bhs ptt and ukcc2. Worked for the charity for a while now and worked my way up to this.

Maybe need to have a think about what I'm charging, though I had a look around the area and thought this was reasonable!

With that as your job role, you should really be an employee, with all the benefits of being an employee. They're taking the pee, there's too much of it goes on especially with equestrian jobs. Ask them to make you officially staff.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Must depend where you are, £10 for cleaning!I do accounts for £9 per hour, my husband is a Plummer on average £23 pounds per hour. I think it's the only at weekends that also put people off

Good cleaners can command more than the minimum wage, which is around £7ph. People think of cleaning as a low level job and to an extent it is, but cleaning actually pays more than you'd expect because it's basically a job that lots of people won't do and often requires people who can work successfully without supervision. You'd be amazed at the number of people who can't manage to do a stroke of work without the bosses eyes on them and yet are fine when there's a boss around. The alternative is to hire a cleaning agency, which will probably charge more than £10ph while possibly only paying employees minimum wage, so people see getting a good cleaner at £10ph as a bit of a bargain. I'm not surprised there's so many cleaners on this thread, horse people are used to shovelling .... all day in the wind and rain :biggrin3: we make good cleaners.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
My understanding is that that's only the case if the worker only works for one employer. I'm sure there's loads more to it, but I'm no employment law guru!

It applies to each individual "employment", there are guidelines set out by HMRC to deduce whether it's an employer/employee relationship or an genuine self-employed relationship, but a person could have several employed jobs, and also have be self-employed in a different situation, all at the same time. They could equally just have one engagement but it could be a self-employed one. It ultimately depends on who has control.

exracehorse

Visit site
Good cleaners can command more than the minimum wage, which is around £7ph. People think of cleaning as a low level job and to an extent it is, but cleaning actually pays more than you'd expect because it's basically a job that lots of people won't do and often requires people who can work successfully without supervision. You'd be amazed at the number of people who can't manage to do a stroke of work without the bosses eyes on them and yet are fine when there's a boss around. The alternative is to hire a cleaning agency, which will probably charge more than £10ph while possibly only paying employees minimum wage, so people see getting a good cleaner at £10ph as a bit of a bargain. I'm not surprised there's so many cleaners on this thread, horse people are used to shovelling .... all day in the wind and rain :biggrin3: we make good cleaners.
Exactly. I charge 12 pounds an hour and have a waiting list. I turn work away. It’s incredibly hard work. I often have 3 cleans a day. 6 hours Cleaning back to back with travel in between. I have to take into account car fuel. Cleaning products and wear and tear on my dyson hoover. A new one is 400 pounds one every year. Plus filters and repairs during the year. I’ve also worked as a groom and charge 10 pounds ph plus fuel.

HeyMich

Visit site
I pay £25/hr for a freelance instructor, and I get the impression that that is a fairly cheap rate around here. I suspect you may need to increase your offer!

It depends what level/grade of instructor you are after though, and how much experience you need them to have. If you are after someone at £10/hr, then a newly qualified student may suit best. The weekend/split days pattern may be more suited to a student (with no young family) too. Have you tried advertising at any nearby agricultural colleges or BHS training centres? Maybe you could offer some sort of regular 'work experience' for undergraduates as a part of a local course?

Pippity

Visit site
I pay either £25/hr or £40/hr, depending on which instructor. I'll occasionally have an instructor who only charges me £10/hr, but that's mates rates and her normal charge is three times that.

And I pay £15/hr for my cleaner.

Farma

Visit site
I am a freelance instructor and usually get £20 per hour from riding schools, there are a few that only pay £10 locally and unfortunately I have to turn them down a lot as they struggle to find cover I always prioritise the ones that pay the most, I am only working for the money and they are all very nice people and customers so I go to who I get most regularly for the best price.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
If I was the instructor looking at a class of 4 to 6 people who had paid anything from £15 to £35 for a class lesson Id be well cheesed off with being offered a tenner an hour.