Famous stallions' quirks

oldvic

Visit site
Ah yes, they're famous for being switched-off, iirc the "ride it like you stole it" came from a top 4* rider who'd been jocked-off a Jumbo horse and was giving genuine helpful advice to the new jockey.

Also the quote from another top rider about his very charming Jumbo horse that is known for being a bit mischievious a corners/skinnies! I have worked with several Jumbos and they have all been charming and trainable. Some have been a little on the lazy side but I really like them.

I've heard that Alflora horses tend to be quite prone to worrying/ being quite sensitive, and Reg fulfils that perfectly- he's lovely but does worry about the little things if he's allowed to!

I have found this too - they try but are possibly not the cleverest so are easily confused.

Of other horses, I have found Old Vics have plenty of energy and enthusiasm. Great characters with a sensitive side.
Beneficials can be stress-heads. Normally good looking.
Craigsteels strong minded but sensitive and very athletic.
Fleminsfirths have a bit of attitude.

Cruisings can have a tricky side to them.
Cavalier Royales are not straight forward.

As TarrSteps says, the nick with some stallions can make a huge difference.

Wolfie

Visit site
Cruisings can jump, but are often quite tricky, or at least those that I know are! I wouldn't touch a Western promise with a bargepole, as the only horses I know by him are chronic rearers (though I will admit, the dams were also difficult!).

I have a Last News gelding, and he worries quite a bit, but is very lazy to ride. He also has a great step. Have not met another Last News though, so not sure if he is characteristic of the bloodline!

Lolo

Visit site
I have found this too - they try but are possibly not the cleverest so are easily confused.

Yes, this has been a fairly typical Reggie trait. He tries very hard, but isn't the brightest spark although he does pick things up remarkably quickly once it's been clearly explained!

We had a Carnaval Drum mare (only a pony though) and she was very quirky- she went well if she liked you, and if she didn't you could get off and go home or she'd make you! She was very sharp and clever and very talented though.

TarrSteps

Visit site
To be fair to the Jumbo I know, he is a lovely fellow and suits his very busy owner down to the ground because he's so consistent. He just looks like he should be more than he is but I suspect with a strong ride he would be!

Re the rearing, the offspring of one horse I knew all seemed this way inclined. It was their ' thing' when they got stressed. I will say it's been my experience that these ' go to' inclinations do seem to run in families, more than complete temperaments. So two horses might have the same inclination but very different arousal thresholds.

DoesDressage

Visit site
Does anyone have/or have experience off a negro horse? I'm very interested in his offspring and from what I've seen of his babies I would really love one in the future!!

kerryflower

Visit site
Any info on doruto or Wellington? My horse's sire is the kwpn farrington and Ollie looks so alike him! He has a fantastic temperament both on and riding although he is very clever and quick to find subtle evasions to get out of doing things properly. Can have a ginger temper tantrum but nothing horrid if u make sure u tell him off! Just interested to know more about his sire lines as it seems he follows his dad!

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Anyone have any info on 'No Complaints' as a Stallion? Mine is very sensitive to ride, the easiest horse to deal with on the ground but can be a bit nappy when ridden and needs a lot of confidence from the rider. Any info would be great, or on his half brother 'Up with the Lark'?

Countrychic

Visit site
Accondy Very stressy in the stable, prone to weaving, aggressive, sharp but manageable to ride and talented horses.

Balou du rouet. Talented and polite

Orklund. Hot as hell but super stars

GCC

Visit site
i find most horses off King Of Diamonds or Sunny Boy lines tend to be a bit of a pain in the **** until they are about 6.. very quirky and just a bit ignorant, but then I've known OK ones, just generally, but then i am biased to warm-bloods anyway! find a lot of the Z's tend to have a little something about them. I've had a few Mecklenburgs now and i find them generally a really nice temperament. Had a contender horse that was one of the bravest I've sat on and jumped like a stag, and had a very human eye, seriously thought he understood what i was saying half the time!

GCC

Visit site
Any views on Chellano Z progeny?

I have a foal with Cruising on the Dam's side and Chellano Z/ Ramiro on the Sire's.

He'd better blooming well jump!! :D

Person i worked with had 2 Chellano z horses and found they got better with time. one was a pain the backside to break but ended up the safest most lovely jumper ever and had the confidence to take on any track. The other was a dream to break but never had the edge to go further than NC really. Both had a great jump though, think any of the Chellano Z horses have a distinctive jump, i recognize the bascule anywhere!

I've also had a Ramiro, dream on the ground, occasionally awkward to ride, if you told him off you he would take offence and you couldn't get sense out of him until the next day! That being said, when he went well, wow he went well!

ElleJS

Visit site
Would agree on Cruisings being complete lazy sods but talented when you can get it out of them!

Jumbos they say you have to 'ride it like you stole it" however that could never be said for Headley Britannia or her full brother Kingdom who were always keen and willing?

Rock Kings-light,small horses that are quite sharp and quirky, excellent jumpers

Fascinating thread to read.

The Jumbo's I know with pro riders are all a bit tricky and either stuffy or tend to be very heavy in the mouth and tuck their heads in but are always such good jumpers, all have gone far BSJ/Adv eventing.

Very true about Rock Kings- the 4 I have had over the years are all such good jumpers apart from one that is saved as a foundation broodmare (but has the same ability) they all got to adv eventing/1m30 bsj- 2 of them went 4*. They are light on their feet but sharp and a bit quirky and wouldn't suffers fools lightly. Very complicated personalities but intelligent.

All the Cavalier Royals I know have all been immensly talented but little b*****s!! Pro's horses for sure.

Heard that some Mill Laws are tricky. The one we have on our yard is quirky but capable but again wouldn't be an amateurs horse but has won BE with a pro.

Also have a 5yo cruising- she is very laid back to ride almost lazy but a real worrier and a bit nervy and needs lots of reassurance. Very good jumper though have high hopes for her.

Has anyone here got a Harlequin du Carel? All the ones I have seen are just so fabulous over a fence. Mine is 5, little, only 15.3 and jumping foxhunters will 1* event next year but my word she is a cheeky little minx!!! In the loveliest possible way but has two buttons- lazy or bouncy rubber ball and you have to have your witts about you! She is also very trainable and we can teach her all sorts of tricks very easily!

Also all the Ghareeb horses I have come across inc mine have the sweetest personalities and all looks so similar!!! They all seem to do really well eventing as although normally athletic and able jumpers (perhaps not so flashy as some) they seem to have the 'we will try really hard for you' genes installed! The ones we all want for an event horse!!!

Britestar

Visit site
From the dark and distant past but Tudor Diver's had a bit of a rep as head bangers. I bought one and loved her to bits, yes she was a bit 'different' but would jump the moon for me.

I loved her so much, I bred one too, much to the horror of everyone around me! She had endless talent, but she and I never quite clicked. I still have both, aged 29yrs and 19yrs.

The younger has now had her own baby, who will be 4 this year. We'll see what becomes of him;)

Llanali

Visit site
Fascinating thread to read.

Also all the Ghareeb horses I have come across inc mine have the sweetest personalities and all looks so similar!!! They all seem to do really well eventing as although normally athletic and able jumpers (perhaps not so flashy as some) they seem to have the 'we will try really hard for you' genes installed! The ones we all want for an event horse!!!

I didn't know you had one too!! I am in good company then. Could we see pictures please? Wonder how similar ours are to look at!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
All the Cavalier Royals I know have all been immensly talented but little b*****s!! Pro's horses for sure.

I rode a friend's Cavalier Royal gelding a couple of times. He really was fantastic and very willing but he did have a tendancy to over-react to silly things eg, if there was twig on the ground, a weed looked at him funny or the tarmack had a patch in a darker colour, he would whip-round so quickly and suddenly. Luckily I was in a twig and weed free school when I rode him. ;)

I have high hopes for my AV Monyoya (Carmargue on the Dam's side) arab youngster. He really is very sweet, kind and forward thinking. He'll flag his tail and prance at any excuse, but so far even when very excited, he still listens to his handler.

My filly is by Calimeer and she is very willing, bold, brave and again forward thinking. She is also very clever (likes to be occupied) and can be cheeky.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Cruisings tend to be headcases, but athletic alright. Cavaliers suit me, but not for the fainthearted. Don't know very many Doddington Flyers, but those I've worked with have all been athletic and good to train, perhaps more for a pro rider 'tho.

Auslander

Visit site
I've also had a Ramiro, dream on the ground, occasionally awkward to ride, if you told him off you he would take offence and you couldn't get sense out of him until the next day! That being said, when he went well, wow he went well!

Sniggers - sounds like both the second gen Ramiro's I've had! My big boy used to get terribly upset, and his sister would get a massive marish strop on and flatly refuse to co-operate with any requests, no matter how small! They were both by Into the West, out of an Irish TB mare - The mare had very strong opinions about everything, and he was KWPN - nuff said!

The mare was the nappiest thing I have ever sat on - but in a plant-y way. She'd stop dead, shut her eyes, stick her nose out and brace herself - and there was NOTHING you could do to shift her once she'd assumed the position! She was so unbelievably talented over a fence, stunning to look at, and moved beautifully, but inside the gorgeous exterior beat the heart of a camel...

kerilli

Visit site
going back a bit, but did anyone else have any experience with any Skyboys? Mine was a dream to a fence but probably the MOST opinionated horse I've ever dealt with. I think she spent 10 years carefully training me on the flat, rather than vice-versa...

I had a Smooth Stepper, a real comedian but very genuine and probably the cleverest horses i've ever known, in a good way.

I was told about a stallion down south about 20-30 years ago (TB iirc) who was lethal and every horse he sired was also a vicious nutjob, the person who told me had dealt with quite a few and said they all had to be shot. wtf would anyone breed with that?!?!

beano

Visit site
Anyone have any experience of or Bazaars horses? I've got a 4yo out of Bazaars Exclusive with Welton Crackerjack grandsire. Very talented, very athletic but wow can he buck! Have heard that the 'Welton Crackerjack buck' is a known trait.

caramel

Visit site
Anyone know what Bandmaster/Accondy horses are like? I rather like them as stallions but wonder what their offspring are like...

Also interested in Cayman Kai offspring as he's a half brother to my boy (on sire's side). I know there aren't many Imperial Frontier babies so interested to see any similarities...

Last edited: