Farrier costs

cavalier123

Visit site
My farrier has just increased prices from £25 to £30 for a trim. Just wondering what others pay? He is a great farrier and I'm not looking to change, but I'm on a tight budget too. Just interested to know what the going rate is.

SamBean

Visit site
I guess it depends where you are located, personally I'd be keeping hold of him if he is good, I pay less for mine but if he came along and put his prices up I would happily pay. For what he does and the advice he gives I really respect him. He charges £20 for a trim but he is coming to trim my youngster this month and charging me £15 for him. To be honest I thought it would be more for a horse who isn't used to it despite me picking his feet out and handling him daily.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Will be

Ahh that makes me feel better. I dont want to be tight, but ive got two and I just want to be sure i am paying going rate.

My farrier isn't the cheapest in the area, but IMO he is the best. Takes his time and really understands the individual horse. He trims the hoof in front of him. Also the loveliest person you ever did meet.
He came last week and didn't really need to do much tot he back feet on either of mine so only charged me for 1 trim instead of 2. He actually wouldn't take my money - you don't get many people like that any more!

Sorry I could rave on about him all morning LOL

cavalier123

Visit site
My farrier isn't the cheapest in the area, but IMO he is the best. Takes his time and really understands the individual horse. He trims the hoof in front of him. Also the loveliest person you ever did meet.
He came last week and didn't really need to do much tot he back feet on either of mine so only charged me for 1 trim instead of 2. He actually wouldn't take my money - you don't get many people like that any more!

Sorry I could rave on about him all morning LOL
Ha ha he sounds lovely. My farrier is great too, most of all he is really reliable. And good with the ponies. I think I'm best to stick, just surprised by increase but hes not increased for a few years so it's reasonable.

Spottyappy

Visit site
£30 in Home Counties.
Some here charge £40.
The skill required alone, would merit a cost of much more in other areas of expertise, think of what a plumber or electrician would charge, for example.

cblover

Visit site
Yes mine charges £30 a trim too. I’m happy to pay that, he’s a kind and patient man. Nothing like the last one I had.

Nudibranch

Visit site
£40 a trim ?
Round here he is the only one who doesn't ruin their feet. I used to pay the same to a very well known and frequently recommended trimmer, who is excellent in terms of balancing feet, but stopped using him after he beat the cr*p out of my big youngster because he had trouble lifting his hinds. Despite my telling him about the ongoing vet investigations, he knew better and decided to teach him a lesson. That horse was pts at 7 with hock arthritis and SI issues.
So I stick to the only half decent farrier in the area.

Moogleberry

Visit site
I’ve just changed farriers the first did a great job but was unreliable he charged £25 the new guy also does a very good job is very reliable and charges £30 ... I prefer to pay the extra fiver for the reliability

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My farrier charges £25 a trim as long as they are regularly done. If folk go too long (in his opinion) then its £30 or £35.
I'm charged a little less for the 2 tinies, but that's because I've been with farrier since he qualified, they are done regularly and are always clean and dry for him :)

Annagain

Visit site
My farrier is £28 for a trim, £45 for fronts only (and a trim of the back) £70 for a set and £75 for my boy's remedial shoes. That's cheap for our area despite him being one of the best.

Araby

Visit site
Trim 25 for the one with no issues, South Cambridgeshire, has been brilliant with my PPID laminitic horse and remedial shoes to support him, so if he put prices up up wouldn't change.

SpringArising

Visit site
£25 for a trim and £45 for a set of fronts. Worth every penny to me because he's the only farrier I know who's actually good at customer service too. He's always available to get hold of and will make a special journey ASAP if there's an issue.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
New farrier, North Oxfordshire, £25 for a trim.

Lovely young chap did my filly’s trim and her feet look great.

Previous farrier charged £30. I’d pay £30 for the new one too if they asked for it. Would actually say they are worth more than the previous one, on attitude alone.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm in Shropshire and my farrier charges £30 a trim. He's a proper qualified farrier (sorry, not a fan of the so called barefoot trimmers that have done 2 minute course ??) and I wouldn't change him for gold bars ??

Hack4fun

Visit site
£30 for a trim, and £50 to trim draft horses. I thought that was quite a lot given he does two draft and one other in one visit. Then he disappeared on me! Now use a bare foot trimmer who charges £40 regardless of the size of horse. He is MUCH better than any farrier that I have had. Takes the time to get it right, addresses frog and bars and wall, and adjusts the balance of the hoof. Very patient so my heavy Clydesdale behaves much better and takes the time to do a complete job. He has transformed my Clydesdale compared to anyone else who has done her hooves and she is a much better horse as a result, and has become much easier to trim as a result. I would seriously recommend a properly trained barefoot trimmer.

Hack4fun

Visit site
I'm in Shropshire and my farrier charges £30 a trim. He's a proper qualified farrier (sorry, not a fan of the so called barefoot trimmers that have done 2 minute course ??) and I wouldn't change him for gold bars ??
My trimmer studied hard for a long time and has a deep understanding of anatomy and biomechanics. It shows in his work.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
My trimmer studied hard for a long time and has a deep understanding of anatomy and biomechanics. It shows in his work.

He doesn't come under the bracket that I described then. Plus it's each to their own really...I guess it's down to the area you live in. we certainly don't have any decent trimmers around here.