Farrier prices

Visit site
What is everyone paying for a full set?

I have a great farrier (been having him for two years now since we moved here) but his prices went up 10% at the start of last year and I’ve just been told today that they are going up another 10% next year too!! ? is it just me or is this rather a lot in such a short space of time?!

A standard set is currently £100 and my spotty boy is £130 for a full set currently as he has pads in front… it’s getting ridiculous prices!!

What is everyone else paying? I am wondering whether I should start looking around at other farriers but am reluctant too as he is very good but am wondering how long I can keep up with these big price increases. ?

Loubidy

Visit site
I use a very good farrier who also does the vet school. I believe he is £125 for a full set or if you book through the vet school and get invoiced by them it was £156 (dec2019). That’s in Scotland. He is a miracle worker so worth every penny.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My lovely farrier put his prices up when the price of diesel shot up earlier this year. A full set went from £75 to £80. He doesn't charge extra for road studs and will visit to treat abcesses or replace lost shoes, for free.
However, the reason I use him isnt dictated by price, it's because he's the best farrier in the area.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I have a great farrier (been having him for two years now since we moved here) but his prices went up 10% at the start of last year and I’ve just been told today that they are going up another 10% next year too!! ? is it just me or is this rather a lot in such a short space of time?!

A standard set is currently £100 and my spotty boy is £130 for a full set currently as he has pads in front… it’s getting ridiculous prices!!

What is everyone else paying? I am wondering whether I should start looking around at other farriers but am reluctant too as he is very good but am wondering how long I can keep up with these big price increases. ?

If he’s keeping your horse sound I would not change .

Britestar

Visit site
The of steel had risen as has the cost of fuel.

I'm £90 a set, £80 for refit.

My farrier travels 100 miles too shoe mine used him for over 25yrs.

I just pleased he still comes to me even though he moved away.

SOS

Visit site
The cost of shoes has shot up, fuel has doubled, along with the cost of living.

The difference between a £80 and a £100 set is often a farrier that is VAT registered or not. My OH had to add VAT on when he went VAT registered over a year ago, he then couldn’t also have a price increase despite not having any extra money from it. He will be increasing prices next year to reflect fuel prices etc. but when you add VAT on it becomes steep!

i.e If you are £100 a set, it’s likely £80 of that is to the farrier, £20 VAT. If the price is going to £110, the farrier may only be increasing their price by £8. A set of shoes has doubled in price from £3-5 to £6-10, along with the other factors it’s barely covering the price increases.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I get muddled about the cost of each separately (as we have 5) but I think we pay £50 for fronts refitted and £20 a trim. Farriers came on Friday (2 come together now) and we paid £160 for 2 front sets refitted and 3 trims. We are in Bedfordshire and I think we are getting amazing value to be honest, but we've had the same main farrier for around 15 years. He is excellent and we try really hard to keep him.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I too am in the SE, paid £105 last week for a full set for B and a full trim for little A.

As long as little A gets done every 6 weeks, cost stays same.
I'm v fortunate with my lovely farrier, but he does appreciate dry clean legs and level concrete, plus undercover if necessary and mandatory cuppas lol.

monte1

Visit site
I'm in SE and it is £86 for a full set £60 for a fronts and £35 for a trim
Good farriers are hard to find and their costs have shot up this year - sadly

SpottyTB

Visit site
My husband is a farrier, in 2020 a bottle of gas was £32, now it is £64. The price of fuel has shot up. The price of steel, nails, tools have all seen a rise (easily more than 10% on some items), the cost of the chiropractor has gone up, his annual registration has gone up and insurance fee's. I could go on and on - sadly it is a reflection of the times.

He is reliable, in the main - on time to his clients, he will go out on a Sunday for an emergency (sometimes even for a lost shoe on the day of a show...). If your farrier is good to you and does a good job, he is worth the money surely :). If your struggling money wise, take them off and turn the horse away for a few months :D.

Birker2020

Visit site

£90 every five weeks regardless of whether a new set or a refit. West Mids. But reliable farrier, helps himself to horse, good at what he does, will come out for a lost shoe, has done some brilliant work with Lari's feet, one foot had a big crack in it. Looking forward to seeing him trim now Lari is without shoes.

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think farriers probably haven't been charging enough, for a long time. And now the cost of everything is going up, what else can they do but charge more? And as has been pointed out above, if they are VAT registered then they're probably not getting much out of it now, and putting up their prices doesn't mean their pockets are going to be much fuller.

Farriers in NI/Ireland are cheaper, but then you probably aren't getting a registered one and the standard of farriery here, in the main, is terrible.

irishdraft

Visit site
I'm in the SE and pay £100 00 for a full set, £60.00 for fronts only plus £6.00 travelling although he only comes from 5 mins away. If he comes for a lost shoe it's £20.00 He has gone VAT registered this year .

smolmaus

Visit site
Farriers in NI/Ireland are cheaper, but then you probably aren't getting a registered one and the standard of farriery here, in the main, is terrible.
Learned this very quickly this year.

My friend is now paying close to £200/ set rather than £80 with our change in farrier but her mare is actually getting what she needs and is like a different horse these days. The quality of trim I am now getting for £30 rather then £25, he could charge more and I'd pay it happily.

Annagain

Visit site
£75 for a full set in S. Wales. I've been using this farrier for about 15 years and it's gone up from £60 (in £5 increments) over that period which I don't think is too bad considering. He's a good egg too which is a big factor in choosing him. He popped to us yesterday to have a look at Archie as he was lame (puncture wound to the sole) and didn't charge me anything as he was passing so it didn't cost him anything in fuel. Chatting to him the other day he said the biggest rises for him recently have been steel (he makes all his own shoes) and gas for his furnace.

One of the reasons (there were others that were as important as money) I changed 15 years ago was my previous farrier (I suspect the same one as Amymay) was charging £90 even then and wasn't any better (in fact current one did a far better job keeping shoes on Monty who would rarely make the 6 weeks with previous farrier). I dread to think what he charges now.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I am not convinced there is a direct connection between what a farrier charges and whether they are good.

I do think some are pretty basic, and try and shoe a lot on one day. I’d prefer someone that charges enough they are able to really evaluate the work they are doing.

Some seem to have good idea of foot balance, caudal collapse, angles and alignment and some don’t. If you find one that works, and your horse has good foot angles and a healthy foot, I would hold onto the farrier.

I think farrier costs are relatively cheap compared to the knock on costs of horse moving with poor foot alignment and compensating.

First Frost

Visit site
I pay £85 for a full set and £ 30 for a trim. My farrier is excellent and also does remedial work. He is very punctual and kind with the horses. definitely wouldn't change if there was a reasonable price increase.