Farrier - will he come or not????

Clip1clop1

Visit site
I have a good farrier but 9 times out of 10 he is late or changes the day at the last minute due to one crisis or another! Just wondered how patient everyone else was to the predictable excuses every time they never appear when they say they will. I have to book a day off work for the farrier or have to change appointments on my booked holiday because he is late. Have waited around freezing many times only to find he can't make the day. My goodwill is shrivelling up with regards to this 😡

RubysGold

Visit site
Oh God, that would drive me mad
My farrier is always early. Most of the time, I turn up and he's already in the carpark, he has been late twice in the time I've been using him

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Change farrier. Mine was great, but omg, always hours late, never picked up texts/calls, didn't turn up one day when he swore to be there at 6am. I switched and have an equally good farrier who turns up when he says he will and answers the phone.

Clip1clop1

Visit site
I am steadily coming around to this. Most of us know when an individual lies through their teeth about why they haven't appeared. Mine I feel is a seasoned liar,
who only turns up for the wealthiest folk in the county. Even though I pay cash at every visit.

debsflo

Visit site
I tolerated this for 10 years ,more fool me as was convinced I could never find one as good but guess what I did and he's fab and on time and answers phone calls etc. I really feel it's very rude and disrespectful behaviour. The last straw was when my mare went 3 weeks overdue due to him messing me about.

gnubee

Visit site
Mine is always early and has only once asked to reschedule a booked appointment. I think it helps that were always his first stop of the day. If you want to give yours another shot maybe try asking for his first visit on the day you want so you know there is no reason for him to be held up.

Count Oggy

Visit site
I have had 3 farriers. The first two I had to chase and chase. Luckily there is generally someone about here so not having to book days off work and then get let down. That is just rude I think. The chap who comes now is fantastic. Great with the horses, knows his stuff gets back to you almost immediately and turns up when he said he would. If he's going to be late I get a text. In return I make sure the horses are in and dry, the kettle is on and I have somewhere sheltered for him to shoe in this constant rain. And remind that the naughty ponies to buy him chocolates at Christmas. If my farrier changed his plans 9 times out of 10 I'm not sure I'd rate him as 'good' more extremely annoying and bad mannered.

Princess16

Visit site
TBH I think it comes with the territory as farriers are notably unreliable from what I've heard off other people. Ours would cancel at last minute or turn up late. I think it had a lot to do with the fact we only have the one horse so I guess cost wise it wasn't financially economical for him to come all the way to see us.

Having said that we now use someone else and fingers crossed he's been great thus far!

I would change yours too.

MargotC

Visit site
This seems to be the norm with farriers, for some reason. I had two horses over roughly ten years, and in that time had four farriers, three of which were used over a longer period.

First farrier was brilliant, BUT would not come to you unless you were at a yard with at least ten horses being shod in one day. Driving to his yard was the alternative, but took an hour each way... it was just not doable with every thrown shoe and I had to switch.

Farrier two "came with" the second yard. Awful at communication (getting input about your horse's feet as he did them was like pulling teeth), and turned up with virtually ten minutes notice to do everyone on the yard. I often got word whilst at work and as such didn't get to oversee as I'd like. I think we used him a year or two...

Farrier three, female, well-known for being shall we say temperamental. Mood swings aimed at anyone who happened to be around. You were lucky if she replied within a week. She also "quit" her job two times, the last time for good. Had to find a new one.

Farrier four; good at his craft, his yard was ten minutes from ours, but he was away more than he was available. He'd forget about texts, appointments, he'd forget his appointment book if you wanted to book a new one... and he was about twice as expensive as farrier number three. He did do wonders for my mare's feet, but what good was that when he'd also miss appointments with a couple of weeks...

IMO none of the above is acceptable, but what can you do when you live rurally and options are limited to say the least. If you find a reliable one who knows his craft and will turn up or at least give reasonable notice; don't let him go.

Truthfully one positive about not owning a horse at the minute is not having to deal with the farrier.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
In defence of the farrier, my OH is one, and the worst part of his job is trying to book everyone in, and takes about 2 hours every night after work. Sometimes he has to change appointments because of clients changing and because he covers a wide radius and tries to tie people in who are in the same area but it can be really difficult. However he is not casual with other people's time-sounds like lots are :(

zigzag

Visit site
Used the same farrier for 20 years, he was late at times, a bit rude as well.. Once he couldn't come see to horsey so I used his son ( fully qualified , he also told me too), next time he was away when I needed him urgently due to an abscess, well he was going away in a few days and didn't have time, booked him then as normal when he was back, and because he didn't do horsey last twice (his choice) charged me new customer price, last time he has done her...

twiggy2

Visit site
In defence of the farrier, my OH is one, and the worst part of his job is trying to book everyone in, and takes about 2 hours every night after work. Sometimes he has to change appointments because of clients changing and because he covers a wide radius and tries to tie people in who are in the same area but it can be really difficult. However he is not casual with other people's time-sounds like lots are :(

My farrier books in next visit when he is at the yard, ha has very few clients that don't do this, I am one of them and I just call and ask when he can fit us in-he will only do this for a trim or emergency and I have to fit around his diary in my area. If he is going to be more than ten mins late he texts ahead, he never ever does any horse on a yard other than what he was booked to do, the horses he shoes very very rarely lose shoes. He has very loyal clients despite being more expensive than most because he is very good at his job and very reliable.
His diary is easy because most of his clients book on a 5 or 6 week cycle so most yards are visited on the same day at each visit.

Pedantic

Visit site
My Farrier is totally brilliant, books the next visit each time he comes, so no faffing around re arranging next visit over the phone, txts me the day before to remind me, txts me if he is going to be late or txts to ask if ok to come a bit early if his day is going well, he always returns my call the same day, he thinks about how my Po's feet will likely be about the time he will be on holiday and maybe come a week early, I always bring in ready and clean feet, I always pay him straight away, I always give him a tip and xmas bonus, he looks after me and my Po first class :) I couldn't be happier :)

MungoMadness

Visit site
I've never had a bad farrier! One was a bit weird, one was fantastic and so far the current one seems good too :) I would kick up a fuss if they were regularly late, it's not on.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My current farrier of past 2 yrs is a keeper :)

Had same farrier for over 30 yrs till he retired, then one who lasted 4 sessions & I got rid as never returned calls, wouldn't book advance appts (??) and had to shoe his way only with no discussion at all.
Next one lasted 3 yrs till he left the country for NZ (it wasn't me!! lol), then onto current one, who is in his 20's, 3 yrs qualified, easy on the eye and I knew his father when he was an apprentice many yrs ago. He does a damned good job and we book appts up 3 at a time in advance :)

Bertolie

Visit site
I had one farrier that was awful. Could never get hold of him, would never return texts or phone calls. My new farrier is wonderful, answers his phone, always gets back to you, is never late and always sends s text the night before confirming visit. He works weekends to suit clients and is brilliant with my young mare! He's also the head farrier at a large racecourse so He must be good 😄

Last edited:

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
My farrier has never been late. He's been early once and texted ahead to let me know. He's only had to cancel once, and then he knocked £10 off the bill as an apology when he did come. I tried to give him the full amount but he wouldn't take it, so we stuffed him full of tea and biscuits instead.

I'd be looking for a new one if I couldn't rely on him.

pansymouse

Visit site
Mine is fantastic, occasionally a bit late but always lets us knows when he's running late. He's actively in the Farriers Registration Council, competition judge etc. so I he has to remain at the top of game and set an example on conduct as well as workmanship.

lrw0250

Visit site
My pony is unshod and we have switched to a lovely lady trimmer instead of the farrier as pony is nervous of men so when we moved yard I bit the bullet and switched. We book next appt in advance and she has been 5 mintues late once in grotty weather.

Previous farrier who trimmed her ran a funny system where you phoned his landline the week before you wanted him out and left him a message on the machine. He would then call you back on the Sunday night to tell you when he would be there. I think he collected the messages through the week then just sat down on a Sunday and worked out a schedule for the week ahead.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I've only ever had one regular farrier! He is punctual, he explains what he is doing and why, and suggests ways to improve my horse's feet. He listens if I have concerns or questions. He does his best to come out quickly if the horse has lost a shoe. He is happy to trim barefoot or shoe. My vet is happy to use him for remedial farriery (although it's never come to that for mine). My horses have been sound.

Sounds like I've been lucky!

Damnation

Visit site
I've had 6 farriers, I will be on my 7th now in 8 years :eek:

Farrier 1) Fantastic farrier, never on time or called you back. Used for 6 months before I got sick of being stood up or him running 2hrs late.

Farrier 2) Bloody wonderful! He forgot to do my mare once, I texted him and gently asked if he was coming to do my mare, he then rang me full of apologies as he had gone home, completely forgotten about her. He came back out and shod her and knocked £20 off as an apology. (She was the only horse he did at that yard). My mare could be funny about being tied up etc and he was always so sympathetic, had his apprentice hold her etc. I moved away and wished I could bring him with me! Used for over 3 years.

Farrier 3) He himself was a good farrier but he was nearing retirement and was sending 1st and 2nd year apprentices out on their own to shoe and trim. If you got him he was fine, but I didn't fancy paying full whack for an unsupervised 2nd year to shoe my horse (and actually mess up one of her feet and shoes kept falling off, 3 fell off within a week of being put on). He also sent them out to my friends TB who had bad feet and an abcess, I was gobsmacked as she had used him over 10 years and showed no loyalty to her! Used him for 1 year.

Farrier 4) Very good, newly qualified, but never answered my calls or texts. Final straw came when I rang and texted him 4 times to have my mare shod, he then left the YO a message 3 weeks later saying he was just crap about getting back to me. Used for 1 year.

Farrier 5) Very good, pricey, ontime, but I was moving yards and unable to use my own farrier. used twice.

Farrier 6) Came with the yard I am on. My horse is on a racing yard and the YO is very infection conscious. She likes us to use her Vet (No problem same as mine anyway) and her farrier as he come out to her first, she does not like them to come from another yard onto her yard. YO also has very high standards so I trust her judgement and Buffy's feet always look great, very few lost shoes so I am happy. But he has done his back in, so now awaiting the identity of farrier 7! Used for nearly two years.

I miss farrier number 2, he even used to bring my mare in if I couldn't get to the yard when he was coming!

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
My farrier books in next visit when he is at the yard, ha has very few clients that don't do this, I am one of them and I just call and ask when he can fit us in-he will only do this for a trim or emergency and I have to fit around his diary in my area. If he is going to be more than ten mins late he texts ahead, he never ever does any horse on a yard other than what he was booked to do, the horses he shoes very very rarely lose shoes. He has very loyal clients despite being more expensive than most because he is very good at his job and very reliable.
His diary is easy because most of his clients book on a 5 or 6 week cycle so most yards are visited on the same day at each visit.

He has tried this system but as people constantly forget, need to change or decide their horses feet look ok for a bit longer it has not worked as well as it should. Most clients are small private yards with one otr two ponies, the big yards are done weekly ona regular day.

zaminda

Visit site
When my farrier is late, I panic, as something has usually gone wrong with his van! He bought a much newer one, and has no end of trouble with the wretched thing! I changed to my current one after problems with the old one, and couldn't be happier.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I often wonder how farriers keep their businesses going since they mostly seem to be disorganised, unable to write an appointment in the diary or respond to phone messages in a timely manner (I realise you can't stop shoeing just to answer the phone). It seems to be endemic. As for saying oh well he is a good farrier - so he damn well ought to be - he's done the training and is qualified. Mine got worse and worse at time keeping, often failing to turn up at all on the day, and wouldn't get back to me - I always booked the next date as he was packing up his van. I wasted so much time off work, often had to go all day without food because of his no-shows, but I didn't dare leave the yard in case he turned up, and poor horse would be standing in all day for nothing. He got the sack. I had her shoes taken off and kept them tidy with a rasp myself. She was almost retired by then anyway.

Wimbles

Visit site
My farrier is great. I have known him since before he was qualified and always said that I would give him a go when he finished his training. I started to use him and now he can't get rid of me and my high maintenance horses. He is usually on time or even early but if there is a problem he always lets me know. He's saved my bacon so many times and does a great job.

I completely appreciate him as I've had some terrible farriers in the past including late ones, no shows and even one turning up drunk!!

In defense of farriers though people on yards must affect their time keeping so much when they roll up and try and get any farrier on the yard to sort their horse out because they can't be bothered to organise themselves! Drives me and my farrier mad!

Last edited:

miss_c

Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement that if you get a good farrier, don't let them go!

I started with one farrier who shod my polo pony with no problems at all until she was pts a year after I bought her after an accident. He then shod Genie when I got her, but very quickly she started losing alternate front shoes every week without fail... He said she was pulling them off on the fence. I was paying £10 a time to get them put back on so it was costing £50 between shoeings...

So I changed to the farrier that used the do the riding school I learnt at and we haven't looked back! He has had to rearrange once or twice but always with enough notice, and some days he is early. Very unusual for him to be late. I shall not be getting rid of him and I always wonder why people put up with unreliable farriers who don't turn up when they're supposed to!

w1bbler

Visit site
My farrier is fab, texts if he will be more than 5 mins late, occasional lost shoes he manages to sort within a day or 2.
But listening to him talk about some clients I can understand why farriers struggle. It is not unusual for him to arrive at a yard & find no sign of horse or owner, sometimes because they have forgotten or they have decided horse doesn't need doing, but not bothered to cancel
Then there are those who don't get the horse in before appt & he is stood watching as horse runs around field refusing to be caught.
Unsurprisingly, those clients find him hard to book with & inflexible, but those of us that don't mess him around find him reliable & flexible.

indiat

Visit site
I've been lucky over the years, NEVER had a horror story to tell about a farrier. When we were on livery yards the farriers simply came the same day every week and you just put your horse on the list. Now that we have our own place, my farrier is lovely. Does a good job,happy to shoe or just trim, turns upon time, has managed to fit me in for two emergencies within 24 hours, is friendly, chatty and gentle with the ponies. My little herd think he is fab!