Farriers pricing

Chloemf16

New User
Visit site
After a bit of help.

I had the farrier out to my mare today, after she'd pulled 2 shoes off (she'd only been shod the week before). Now my mare is not a shoe puller at all, this is like the 2nd time she's ever done it in the 6 plus years I've owned her. I phoned him the day she pulled the first shoe off and subsequently the next day after her jumping out of the field she lost another. When he came today to put 2 shoes back on with road pins and charged me £40. Now I understand I'd of had to have paid a call out fee but wasn't expecting it to be that much and was wondering what prices people pay when their horses loose shoes, call out, a full set, re fits, stud holes, road pins and trims in the south east.

Thanks for your feedback

Chloemf16

New User
Visit site
Thank you! Sadly I didn't have either shoe but it seemed an awful lot. Especially as I'd let my farrier know 2 days before she'd pulled a shoe

TGM

Visit site
What do you pay per set? You say she is not normally a shoe puller but also that she lost the second shoe after jumping out from the field? So it sounds like she is upset/stressed about something and behaving out of the normal, which could be the cause of her pulling shoes off. So not the farrier's fault at all, by the sound of it. If he has had to come out to you and put on two new shoes then I would expect that to be the same price as having a new pair of front shoes, for example. Eighty pounds a new set is quite a common price in the SE especially if you are near to London, so I don't think that is totally unreasonable.

Chloemf16

New User
Visit site
This is only the 2nd time she's ever pulled shoes off. We think she jumped through as the field next door which is never grazed was full of grass. His prices vary so much its hard to keep up with his pricing

Bellaboo18

Visit site
That's sounds about right to me.
£20 to put the same shoe back on last month (it was loose), she was uncharacteristically having a hooley.
I was just very grateful my lovely farrier came out quickly.

Kahlua

Visit site
I pay £80 for a set in the SE and if my horse lost two and I didn’t have them for the farrier to put back on I wouldn’t be upset with having to pay £20 for each to be replaced. It’s also the time for them to come by, put them on, the physical shoe etc. If it was happening quite often that’s a different issue, but in this case it’s not so I don’t think it was wrong of your farrier to charge.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine is £20 per shoe, extra for pins, so I think you've had a fair deal. I'm also in the SE, a set starts st £80, extra for pins or special needs or longer distance.
If I've had the misfortune to have a shoe spin off within a few days (very very rare event) ANC I have the shoe, he might charge a tenner to refit it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
different area but I do think it makes a difference if you have the shoe, because it's quicker to pop one back on that's already fitted to the foot than to have to start again with a new one. you've basically had half a new set there so the price seems about right to me.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It sounds a fair price to me TBH.

The horse did something silly to lose the shoe, it isn't as if he put it on wrong. You didn't find it, so he had to start fitting new ones.

He probably didn't do well out of the deal, travel for £40, plus shoes, plus time to fit.... I wouldn't;t be complaining.

irishdraft

Visit site
Out of interest how long was the time period from your horse being shod to it pulling it off

If you are asking me OP horse had been shod for 3 weeks he doesn't normally lose shoes . My farrier came out day after I texted him on his day off ?

Surbie

Visit site
My farrier is ace - he is local, doesn't charge anything to put shoes back on if you have them, only if he has to put new ones on. He also makes sure I keep a set of shoes with some wear left in them, just in case. In 3 years my horse has only lost a shoe once and had nails fail twice.

SOS

Visit site
What did you expect him to charge? You had neither shoe and he had to make another journey out. If the horse normally keeps shoes on then it’s unlikely the farriers fault that she’s lost these two shoes, particularly as one of them was whilst jumping out of a field!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
If a shoe detaches within the first week and I’ve got it to refit my farrier does it for nothing..but after that might charge a nominal fee to refit. A new shoe is £25 to £30 to replace.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you! Sadly I didn't have either shoe but it seemed an awful lot. Especially as I'd let my farrier know 2 days before she'd pulled a shoe

It sounds about right if he had to replace the shoes, I pay £40 for a set of front shoes if my horse lost them I would expect to pay that again, ask for the old shoes when he removes them they are handy to keep if ever one is lost.

My farrier charges nothing if you have the shoe or an old one to bang on.

monkeymad

Visit site
I pay £120 for pads in all 4 shoes and road pins. I have never been charged to gave a shoe put back on - whether or not I have the lost shoe. I have her shod every 4 weeks.