Fat or in foal

Equi

Visit site
I've already told M that if she does decide to spring a surprise foalie on me, the very least she can do is oblige me with a filly!

See the worst thing you could have said is that! I wanted a buckskin colt, got a bay filly! My entire being is saying i want a bay filly for my next due foal from same couple :p

My current due, i want a buckskin or pally colt again but ill get a god damn chestnut filly i just know it lol

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I love how you've gone from 50/50 to a distinct possibility. I would say (and did from the start lol) it's a sure fire thing.

Also is she really called Mary. Immaculate conception :D

JJS

Visit site
I love how you've gone from 50/50 to a distinct possibility. I would say (and did from the start lol) it's a sure fire thing.

Also is she really called Mary. Immaculate conception :D

She really is called Mary! Ironic, I know!

Equi

Visit site
It will be Sarah if a filly!!!! (That was jesus sister was it not? i got kicked out of sunday school...)

suffolkmare

Visit site
Not sure Jesus had a named sister but 2 sisters who knew Jesus were Mary and Martha. Jesus had a brother called James.
My thoughts are chunky coloured filly 7 - 14 days from now! Have you altered her feed/management since starting this thread?? :)

JJS

Visit site
Not sure Jesus had a named sister but 2 sisters who knew Jesus were Mary and Martha. Jesus had a brother called James.
My thoughts are chunky coloured filly 7 - 14 days from now! Have you altered her feed/management since starting this thread?? :)

I've moved her and my very quiet 24 year old Welshie into a seperate field adjacent to the other five, just to be on the safe side.

I've also given her a small amount of high fibre feed over the last couple of days, but until I have a definite answer from the vet, I'm wary of overloading her in case she is just fat! It's been more to distract her whilst I have a good look under her tummy than anything else, not that she really cares what you do with her. She's the sweetest, most chilled out mare you can imagine.

Doris68

Visit site
Loving this foal watch! Hope all goes well and that you get the filly you want; but as long as the little(?) one is OK, it doesn't matter does it! Good luck to Mary and you.

Equi

Visit site
Considering we dont know the stage shes at (could be a month or two off, could foal tomorrow) i would not rule out introducing a stud balancer. Its full of proteins and calcium etc for milk/bones but less calories than a mix or cube would be. Good for a growing foal, and good for a nursing mare, but if its a ghost foal mare won't founder with it! Just make sure is a balancer not a cube. I use baileys.

Last edited:

Merrymoles

Visit site
I think I'd err on the side of feeding for a foaling mare, rather than limiting intake, until you've seen the vet.

Yes, she definitely looks in foal to me but I think what really convinces me is the lack of a "gutter" on her hindquarters which, in my experience, is the first thing to appear when cobs get fat!

Wishing you both loads of luck!

JJS

Visit site
Seeing as I don't want to disappoint you all, another daily update, although not a particularly exciting one.

M hasn't changed much between today and yesterday. Shape-wise she still looks huge, although it's hard to capture just how big on camera (excuse the grass stains, she's obviously been having a good roll).

A6E7FBDC-91A9-4F75-AF25-77BDE52A8754.jpg

Her bag is very obvious now, although little changed from yesterday when it nearly doubled in size.

7B3C0924-7195-4F18-A7F8-4660803CA4D6.jpg

A396ED08-59F4-4282-935F-154269EE771F.jpg

And just to show that she really isn't fat elsewhere, here's one of her topline. You can see that her spine is actually slightly protuberant, as opposed to the rain gutter that you'd expect in a fattie.

06933FD6-DA2D-4533-8CB1-776A8F34AF61.jpg

And finally a gratuitous M picture - because who else but a cob would stick their face into the huge, flapping plastic wrapper that you've just retrieved from the field to see what exciting treats it might be hiding?

F826B83F-D340-4F77-B3C5-7DACE04ADD61.jpg

JJS

Visit site
Are you taking bets yet? Filly/colt and day? Loving seeing the pics, please keep posting them. :) (it may help others too to see changes)

Maybe on Monday when I know for definite. Although saying that, some people have made their bets already! We have:

Twiggy2: Coloured Colt on Sunday morning.

Biff&Buzz: Lovely, chunky filly.

Equi: Colt who's the spit of mum.

Suffolkmare: Chunky coloured filly.

I guess that makes it a free for all!

JJS

Visit site
Any pictures of potential fathers?

I do have a few pictures, but seeing as they're not mine and I haven't asked the dealer who had her whether Mary could have gotten in with her stallion or not, I don't know whether it's fair to post them. He's a very nice palomino Welsh D though - unless, of course, it was a Shetland on the lorry over!

Last edited: