Fat or in foal

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm sure you know, but you need to put down a full bed and lose those buckets on the floor at some point.
Have a good night out!!

Equines17

New User
Visit site
Been following this forum thread for a while, only just now made an account! Hope all goes well with the foal and mother to be!
I bet it's a skewbald colt!

JJS

Visit site
Oh no, nothing exciting to report! The only thing that's happened is I've had a very busy day and no time to get online and update you all. I didn't even have time to snap any pictures for you! Tomorrow is likely to be equally action packed, so if there's no news then, that's probably why.

JJS

Visit site
I'm sure you know, but you need to put down a full bed and lose those buckets on the floor at some point.
Have a good night out!!

I do know about putting a full bed down, but I had no idea about removing her buckets. Why is that necessary, Clodagh? I can't give her water in anything else as we have no wall mounted drinkers or anything like that.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
The suspense continues!! You've got the entire HHO community on tenterhooks OP!! I've literally just woke up, picked up my phone, saw the most recent post was you in the early hours, and was like 'eeeeeeeek!!!!' 😆

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm guessing that the buckets should be removed in case mare or foal gets injured on them during foaling or maybe the foal could even drown in a water bucket.
Not sure how you can provide water if you remove them though!
I'm sure someone will know.

Clodagh

Visit site
When my mare was close I hung her buckets off the top of the stable door. It was only a food bucket thing really but I was told it was a risk of the foal drowning if buckets were on the floor. Also no haynets in case they get a leg caught, you need to look at the stable as though you have a long splindly self harmer coming to visit.

marotelle

Visit site
Hi, I tried being a lurker but can't help getting involved! I agree with Clodagh that buckets are a no no, foals DO get drowned or badly hurt.As you know they are very wobbly when first trying to get up to keep their balance, most of the time they keel over, sometimes on their nose straight into the bucket, sometimes getting their head or legs through the wire handle.In the issuing panic the mare might get involved.
THe farmer next door bought large but low edged soft shell plastic containers (buckets)they take a little more room in the box but it allows a better chance for the foal to get out,they fold if the mare stands on the sides and although the foal might get wet it will at least hopefully survive.
Better safe than sorry!
Hope for a bonny filly,the mum is lovely!

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
I'm guessing that the buckets should be removed in case mare or foal gets injured on them during foaling or maybe the foal could even drown in a water bucket.
Not sure how you can provide water if you remove them though!
I'm sure someone will know.

OP could you try filling a feed manger with water? One of the Ines which you can hook and unhook from doors etc?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
come on JJS, look at the news on h & h...twin foals born to a tb mare so one should be a doddle for mary. fingers crossed its soon!!!!
definately do not have a bucket on the floor...as others have said hang bucket or use a manger...if she has a corner manger for food then you could use that for water and put feed in a bowl on the floor....you can use a smaller bucket to take the water out to clean manger then refill...