Fatty had an outing - biomechanics clinic

chaps89

Visit site
As someone who doesn't go out in public with their horse ever, a few weeks ago I must have been feeling bold as I put us down for a slot on the biomechanics clinic at merrist wood today.

With fantastic timing I also landed 2 interviews for this morning so it was a bit of an early start to give her a scrub and make her look presentable before popping her out for a few hours. I needn't have bothered as typically it rained and she rolled. But that's horses for you.

Popped her on the box having wiped as much mud off as I could and decided not to worry as I was bound to look out of place on my fat hairy cob anyway 🙈

It was actually just the right sort of event for our first proper outing in years, very quiet and low key.
I say quiet, it was until madam started shouting her head off. Indoor school? No problem. Mirrors? No problem. Jumps stacked up and people wandering in and out? No problem. Another horse called and that was it. However, bless her, all things considered she was really very well behaved (but I do apologise to anyone in the vicinity!)

Thankfully my ever patient instructor was there, having had a friend who rode in an earlier slot, so she kept us together and reminded me to ride and not sit like a passenger.

A brief warm up and we went in (the indoor was split into 2)

Well, what a revelation.
The first bit was a little unconventional as she pinged her way around the arena (I wasn't completely sure we weren't going to jump the barriers dividing the school at one point if I'm totally honest)
And then it was like the penny dropped.

She did a big old stretch and snort and relaxed and softened for me.

As for me? Well, I knew I had a few issues (I clamp with my thigh and my heels come up and my left shoulder curls forwards) but the video was very unforgiving!

However, whilst I knew what my issues were, I had no idea how I should be fixing them - hence why we were there! It all came down to me collapsing through my right ribs.

We did a really interesting exercise where I had to ride down the centre line with my eyes shut.
I did not quite expect to find myself in the far corner when I opened them. Oops.
So 2nd attempt and I over compensated and drifted a little the other way.
3rd time lucky and really focussing on feeling her hind legs moving under me, we cracked it.

There was another light bulb moment when I was struggling to get the hang of 'lifting' my right ribs up.
When phrased as 'pushing' my left ribs down I got it and understood what I needed to be doing.

This seemingly small change bought me much straighter in the saddle, and unsurprisingly much more effective with my aids.

So lots to work on but it was a really interesting session and I didn't at any point feel overly criticised which is what I had been worrying about. (No reflection on the trainer - all me and my head!)

I have the DVD of the session which I'm really looking forwards to and if I can take a before and after still I will try to post it.

All in all it was a great outing and if anyone is struggling with positional issues then I can highly recommend it.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Was it with Russell Guire? I did a lesson with him 18 months ago and we did the walk, trot and canter down the centre line with eyes shut. An absolute revelation as to what the body does when reins are taken out of the equation and those butt cheeks do the steering 😁

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
sounds brilliant :) thanks for sharing your report, I see these advertised from time to time but always wonder exactly what the format is.

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve seen a few advertised but on weekdays when I can’t make it. Also saw this on horse and country all stars academy. They do look really interesting and particularly, in this one, if he’s good at giving tips on how to correct it in a way that makes sense to the rider. I’m so wonky!

Surbie

Visit site
chaps, should have mentioned it, I'd have popped over to say 'hi' and would have loved to have watched! Glad you got a lot of good out of it! :)

Me too - it's just down the road from me. Though you might not have wanted an internet randomer pitching up... :D

McFluff

Visit site
Great to read your report - as that was my experience of the session too - it was amazing how tiny tweaks make such a difference. And the center line with no reins, no stirrups and eyes shut is very revealing - Russell suggested doing this during normal schooling just to check all was in order. I'd highly recommend these sessions to anyone. We had a lot of cobs at our session :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Wow - well done for getting out of your comfort zone & going, for a start
And to find it so useful and have stuff to work on at home that you understand and can measure progress - brilliant!
My pilates teacher does this and I am feeling now like I really should bite the bullet and go

Wheels

Visit site
Sounds great! I'd love a lesson like this

will try the closing my eyes down the centre line thing, very interesting

chaps89

Visit site
We didn't do eyes shut in canter, we would have been a liability if we had! In fairness we mostly worked in walk and trot.
I've got some slightly grainy stills which show a before and after - slightly cringe worthy for sure! For 2 years my instructor has been trying to help me sort my right leg out, now I understand why and can totally see how everything from that leg coming back and up, my shoulders rounding and my slightly wayward right hand all comes from collapsing down my ribs.

Tff/Surbie- if we have another outing a bit sooner than the 4 years it's taken to do this one I'll let you know!

Before - you can see how much my position is affecting her by how out of line the markers on her and the saddle are.

3.jpg

3a.jpg
After - not perfect but going in the right direction
4.jpg
5.jpg

And a couple of side on pics, the trot was taken from a slightly unflattering angle and in canter my leg has come up and back pushing me forwards but for a pony who didn't have a canter 6 months ago, I'm chuffed.

1.jpg
2.jpg

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Fascinating stuff. What a difference in your position!
I also had a lesson with Russell Guire a few years ago and it really transformed my riding.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Looking fab, and another that would love to pop along for moral support the next time you're out :)

We have a similar clinic this weekend with Andy Thomas from EventPhysio which I'm equal parts excited and terrified of as I know there's heaps I need to work on body-wise. Will try and do a write up afterwards.

flying_high

Visit site
Looking fab, and another that would love to pop along for moral support the next time you're out :)

We have a similar clinic this weekend with Andy Thomas from EventPhysio which I'm equal parts excited and terrified of as I know there's heaps I need to work on body-wise. Will try and do a write up afterwards.

That’s on my wish list too! Now back riding after surgery. Are you at Sarah Ridd’s clinic? Love an update!