Favourite breed

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Looking for my next horse. Something for me and my teenage daughter to share and get more competition experience with, as well as to enjoy going out in the box to pleasure rides etc. Daughter wants to join our local pony club branch to do showjumping and dressage, I want to do one day events. I'm torn between an ex racehorse (happy to bring on before daughter can ride it), or a middleweight warmblood type. Wondered what everyone's favourites are?

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Ahh I love them too, but we're both 5'8, so a little small for us. Otherwise I would definitely be after a connie!

Foxychops

Visit site
I love the middleweight types. I have a wb and a very chunky ex NH horse. If you can find yourself a calm ex racer you will end up with a really nice horse x

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
A good cob! I always have had the best time on good cobs (even though I mainly ride Iberians ?) but my old cob mare was a proper LW show cob and she eventer to PC open level (BE novice) and show jumped to newcomers.

I love a cob too, but I've just lost my Section D (although he wasn't exactly a cob cob), but I want something completely different this time. I like the more athletic types. Although a cob makes a great family horse I agree.

oldie48

Visit site
Ahh I love them too, but we're both 5'8, so a little small for us. Otherwise I would definitely be after a connie!
Connie x TB. We had a 148cm who was a really talented all rounder and he carried my very tall daughter round the biggest of tracks. Just to add though, go for something that will do the job and has a great temperament rather than a particular breed.

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Hmmm not really sure why you would need to pick a particular breed. Just go and see a few different horses and pick the one you like most :)

I'm not, I'm very open minded. I was just curious as to what others have had great experiences with. I was originally looking for ISH or warmblood types, but now find myself more drawn to ex-racers. Still registering interest with a variety of breeds. But due to lockdown I can't view, so just wondering which other people like. A bit of a light hearted post really.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I love Arabs, Dartmoors and Thoroughbreds. Can’t beat the WB pedigree for purpose bred sport but TB’s will always be somewhat enchanting to me. It’s a life goal of mine to have an Arab.

Dusty 123

Visit site
I'm not, I'm very open minded. I was just curious as to what others have had great experiences with. I was originally looking for ISH or warmblood types, but now find myself more drawn to ex-racers. Still registering interest with a variety of breeds. But due to lockdown I can't view, so just wondering which other people like. A bit of a light hearted post really.

I have a Irish sport horse they are brilliant horses

ihatework

Visit site
I genuinely don’t have a favourite breed. I have ‘types’ but can appreciate a good example of any breed. To be honest Ive only ever owned 2 pure breeds, a TB and an ID, I once had an Arab on loan. Most of mine have essentially been mongrels packaged up as sporthorses. Some with better parentage than others ?

GSD Woman

Visit site
I love a good, solid Quarter horse. They can be such good all rounders. I also like the old fashioned Appaloosas. I would love to have the chance to ride a Traditional Irish Horse or a Connie.

scats

Visit site
I like a nice little sports horse. I love something with a bit of TB in it.
Not really a cob person and try to avoid anything welsh, although my lovely Diva was cob x welsh and she was perfect, so it just goes to show really! Plus I have a part bred welsh now and she’s pretty amazing too.

Just look for a horse that will do the job, the breed is irrelevant.

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Aww yes I loved my welsh section D. He was a handful at times though, would literally walk all over someone if they let him and would rear at a tree stump. But he was a definite character.

Pippity

Visit site
I love the Iberian breeds but, when I was looking, the first one that ticked all the boxes was a HW cob. So I bought her.

windand rain

Visit site
There is a British Mountain and Moorland pony for every rider unless you want to go to the top knotch competeing then I really like Hannovarian or wesphalian

PurBee

Visit site
I accidently ended up with mine but definitely arab x welsh d is an interesting mix, and certainly sporty enough for dressage/ jumping. Theyre mid weight too, having a bit more ‘bulk’ than pure arab.

Sail_away

Visit site
Irish sport horse! The traditional, ID x Tb crosses, not the warmblood mixes. I’m very biased of course, mine is an ISH but he’s wonderful! He would in fact be the type you’re looking for by the sound of it - our pony club like him, he’s got their ‘best schoolmaster’ trophy but he’s hot enough to be competitive cross country and showjumping. But I can still hack on the buckle if I want to. He’s hot when you need him to be and chilled when you don’t, it makes a very easy horse to ride.

doodle

Visit site
I love ex racers. And Tbs in general. Minto was 3/4 tb and soli an ex racer. However they are def more breakable and I’m older and wimpier. Robin is a proper me warmblood which I am enjoying. He actually thinks he is a tb and might just melt if he gets wet but (hugging huge piles of wood) has cost me less vet bills so far. He is keen and forwards and can be sharp but possibly slightly less hysterical and seems to get over his moments quickly.

Visit site
Shetlands all the way! Until they destroy the fencing for the 5th time that day ...

I would have another Fell pony in a heartbeat to ride. I've had enough of exracers, Gray will be my last big horse so I defos wont be getting any more! He has been cheap to keep though to be fair to him!

AnShanDan

Visit site
If you are after a horse to do PC show jumping/dressage and eventing an ex racer isn't what I'd be looking for, potentially a longish period until you'd be out doing loads. Middleweight WB, maybe, but honestly a native or ID x TB would be the best bet, that is what the majority of lower level sports horses are.