Favourite old pony stories, finding a story & nostalgia :)

ChiffChaff

Visit site
Sheltie!

Blind Beauty by (i think) K M Peyton

And another series with a dun eventer called Barney in but can't remember what the series was called!

I remember those books! The girl was older I think, maybe 16-17? I read them at around 14 and thought they were so grown up and scandalous because she had a boyfriend 😂

dibbin

Visit site
I still have all of mine!

I love all of the Pullein-Thompson books - one of my favourite series was the "Black Pony Inn" by Christine Pullein-Thompson, and I loved the Phantom Horse books.

KM Peyton's Blind Beauty is brilliant, so are the Swallow books (there's 3 in the series).

When I was much younger I love Sheltie :)

I think my favourite series were the Jinny and Shantih ones by Patricia Leitch, I've got the first 5 so may have to go and raid eBay for more!

DW Team

Visit site
Oh lovely I liked and still read horse books
Any of the Pullein-Thompson sisters books
Silver Snaffles Primrose Cumming
Set of books Jinny at Finmary Patricia Leitch
The one Dollar Horse Lauren St John (3 I think)
A Horse called Hero Sam Angus
Chosen by a Horse Susan Richards
The Brumby books Elyne Mitchell
Great Australian Horse Stories Anne Crawford
My friend Flika Mary O Hara
National Velvet Enid Bagnold
Follyfoot Monica Dickens
Black Beauty Anna Sewell

Are some of the ones I can see on the bookcase

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Primrose Cummings
Monica Edwards
Eva Ducat/M M Oliver
Pullein Thompsons
I m slowly collecting them all , so much info about ridingand attutudes from the 1930s onwards

LeneHorse

Visit site
I loved Fly by Night and the Team by KM Peyton. She had a real insight into teenage hopes and dreams. Would love to get hold of the other books by her mentioned in the above posts.

sarahw123

Visit site
I was completely obsessed with the Saddle Club books. Until my daughter discovered the series on horse & country and totally ruined it for me.

Also loved Jinny and Shanti.

HashRouge

Visit site
Another big fan of the Jinny books here, along with Fly-by-Night and The Team. My favourite Pullein-Thompson sister was Joesphine, I loved the Pony Club books she wrote in the 1980s.

VikkiL

Visit site
The books about the dun pony that did xc were my teenage faves. Can't remember the series name but they were written by an author called Samantha I'm sure?

Also loved the KM Peyton swallow series.

fathorselover

Visit site
Some of my faves were the brumby by I think Mary elwyn patchett, darkling which was by k.m peyton , and one called 'a horse by any other name' by jenny hughes. Also really enjoyed the swallow series also by k.m peyton. Also loved the Flambards series! To be fair I probably read every pony book under the sun but these are the ones I remember most!

millikins

Visit site
Another vote for The Brumby and Flambards which I still read about once a year. Also The Wild Heart by Helen Griffiths. And a cowboy book about a wild horse that refused to be broken which eventually dug his way out under the corral fence and drowned in a stream, anyone remember what that one was?

ponyparty

Visit site
This thread has brought back many happy childhood memories!
Ones I still have:
The midnight horse by Monica Edwards
Ponies for hire by Margaret MacPherson
They bought her a pony by Joanna Cannon (all 3 in one ancient Collins hardback)
Prince among ponies
Two collections of excerpts of pony stories - one chosen by k.m. Peyton and the other, thundering hooves, chosen by Christine P-T. The exerpt that always stands out to me is Horse of Air by Lucy Rees. I don't think the full works got that great reviews, and I haven't been able to track down a copy yet to find out for myself, but that snippet in Peyton's Horse and Pony Stories captured my imagination forever!
Oh and the silver brumby books- bonus: the film has a young, fresh faced and rather tasty looking Russell Crowe playing the man on the black horse, I suggest you all get your hands on a copy ;-)

suffolkmare

Visit site
Black Beauty, Silver Brumby series, Haki the Shetland Pony, and Ponies Plot were my favourites, Ponies plot intertwined the stories of ponies from a closed-down riding school and a pony-mad girl collecting model ponies, it became a bit surreal with a pony in space! Oh and Misty of Chincoteague (?)... happy memories!

katherinef

Visit site
OMG - i have read all of those! Fly By Night only a couple of years ago. I had forgotten about the Bobby & Shelta stories - I loved them

I really enjoyed the Bobby & Shelta books stil can remember parts of them and not read them for years. I just don't think there's much out there in the way of pony books at the moment that can compare I am so lucky that around the time I was a kid the pony book genre was so strong

DD

Visit site
I absolutely love 'Wish for a pony' not sure who it's by, my copy is over 40 years old though! It follows a girl named Tamzin and her friend Rissa, I've read it so many times though I pretty much know the plot off by heart!

Monica Edwards. And there are others about the same characters.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Deltaflyer, I think the book you`re referring to is Tan and Tarmac by Gillian Baxter, easily available on e-bay.

I think it is too and am thrilled that someone else remembers it!

I loved Cobbler's Dream, the Flicka books and all Pullein-Thompson, Jill, and Three Jays books as a young 'un.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Deltaflyer, I think the book you`re referring to is Tan and Tarmac by Gillian Baxter, easily available on e-bay.

Thanks, now you've said the title I remember it :)

Three of the Jill books I ordered arrived today :) I used to have the whole set but they must have got lost in one of my house moves. Looking forward to reading them again. I must get myself a copy of Tan and Tarmac as I remember particularly liking that one.

I also used to like the ones written by Pat Smythe. I also loved her biographical one and always wanted a horse like Finality :)

Also. I recall some stories in which one of the ponies was (I think) a Welsh D called Toad (Toadhill Flax).

LeneHorse

Visit site
Does anyone remember the follow -up to the Team where Ruth Hollis is a few years older and falls in love with Pennington (Pennington's 17th Summer) a rough lad, but an extremely talented pianist. Its a great read, though not 'horsey' like the earlier ones (though there is one scene where Ruth sobs into Toad's mane when she has had a tiff with her boyfriend).