Favourite old pony stories, finding a story & nostalgia :)

sav123

Visit site
Does anyone remember the follow -up to the Team where Ruth Hollis is a few years older and falls in love with Pennington (Pennington's 17th Summer) a rough lad, but an extremely talented pianist. Its a great read, though not 'horsey' like the earlier ones (though there is one scene where Ruth sobs into Toad's mane when she has had a tiff with her boyfriend).

I loved that so many of K M Peyton's characters were interlinked in other books, such as the Pennington ones. Two of my absolute favourite books growing up were Prove Yourself a Hero and A Midsummer Night's Death, which had Jonathan Meredith (Peter McNair's non-horsey mate) as the main character. I did have a bit of a crush on Jonathan Meredith!

Dowjones

Visit site
What is the name of the Facebook group for them?

One of the books with the dun eventer Barney is called Will to Win. I need the others!

charlie76

Visit site
I had a favourite book as a child but can't remember what it was called, the character bought and schooled a wild pony, got laughed at at pony club but pony came good. She then tied it to a wall whilst apprehending some sheep stealers and the pony got run over. I can't remember the name! So annoying!!

Doris68

Visit site
I have several of the Jill books in hardback: Jill's Gymkhana, Jill has two ponies, Jill enjoys her ponies, A stable for Jill and Jill's Riding Club. Also have The Chestnut Filly (Primrose Cummings I think?) and a lovely book with amazing sketch illustrations, The horse of Hurricane Hill. Also some very tatty paperbacks including Fiander's Horses and Janet must ride. I still find the Jill books very entertaining, even after all these years!

lrw0250

Visit site
Silver Brumby books, the Jinny series and the Pippa books by Judith Berrisford where my favourites. Another one that sticks in my mind was about a dangerous pony called Cassidy - think it was maybe by one of of the P-T sisters?

Annagain

Visit site
I must be the exception here. As much as I love horses I never had any interest in reading about them as a kid nor do I have now. I also hate having any horsey memorabilia in the house. I have photos of my horses but the thought of random horsey stuff leaves me cold.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Wow some old and lovely memories here!

I loved the Silver Brumby books, they are all still in my old bedroom at home. :)

I also loved Patricia Leitch, but my favourite was not the Jinny series, but Dream of Fair Horses (which I just had to go and look up!) about Perdita.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Three of the Jill books I ordered came yesterday. I read A Stable for Jill last night. I'd forgotten that it's written in such a humorous way. Although I do have to question that they thought the Major would be able to ride a dainty 14hh pony like Ballerina and the one Jill bought - was only 15hh yet the Major bought it. He must have been quite a small man LOL.

Another old book I remember was called (I think) For Want of a Saddle, about some kids who either were given a pony or who'd been given permission to ride it but they didn't have and couldn't afford a saddle for it. Or was that a story in Bunty?

Silver_Lace

New User
Visit site
Sheltie!

Blind Beauty by (i think) K M Peyton

And another series with a dun eventer called Barney in but can't remember what the series was called!

Will To Win by Samantha Alexander. I loved this one and read it cover to cover on a semi regular basis when I was little.

J&S

Visit site
I have a huge collection which I have managed to re-collect over the years but I really think that Moorland Mousie is my favourite followed by The Maltese Cat, My Horse Warrior and A tale of Two Horses, which is the horses, Mancho and Gato, story of Tchiffley's Ride.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Oohhh my goodness! You guys are making me feel VERY old!

I remember these titles!

Yes, loved the "Jill" books; wasn't it Jill who's family went across to America and she rescued this Palomino out there that she saw? They flew back with it and I remember there being a crisis during the flight on the way back, but everything worked out OK in the end!

I loved the Pat Smythe books, she always managed to put some good old-fashioned common-sense horsemanship into her books.

Loved the Follyfoot books too!

JoannaC

Visit site
No that wasn't Jill that was the Phantom series, oh how I loved all these books. Can't believe I didn't keep them but all went to charity shops as did all my Enid Blyton books. Would love to read them all again.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
Still have all the Jill books, the Silver Brumby series and Dream of Fair Horses. I also remember a book my mum had called Red Conker and another about a horse called Firefly, which was a true story, but can't remember who it was by

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I have a huge collection which I have managed to re-collect over the years but I really think that Moorland Mousie is my favourite followed by The Maltese Cat, My Horse Warrior and A tale of Two Horses, which is the horses, Mancho and Gato, story of Tchiffley's Ride.

Likewise, Moorland Mousie my favourite too, I found an original copy at a car boot sale some years ago and then a month later found a copy of Older Mousie in a charity shop. Happy days!

Visit site
I'm sorry to comment on an old thread but has anyone here read Ponies' Plot and Pony in the Luggage? The latter was a particular favourite of mine. 😍

Will confess I haven't read a lot of the 'classics' - the Jill, Silver Brumby or Flicks books etc. - much to my shame though.

Pie's mum

Visit site
I'm sorry to comment on an old thread but has anyone here read Ponies' Plot and Pony in the Luggage? The latter was a particular favourite of mine. 😍

Will confess I haven't read a lot of the 'classics' - the Jill, Silver Brumby or Flicks books etc. - much to my shame though.

I remember Ponies Plot! Two of the ponies went to completely the wrong children but the ponies engineered swapping riders at a camp didn’t they? And the children ended up making it a permanent swap as they were so happy!

So many memories - I love reading and was lucky enough to have owned so many pony books back in the 1980’s. Sadly all left in the country I grew up in when we came back to the uk. I’d love to have them all to reread!

The only one I do still have is a the Pullen-Thompson sisters Black Beauty’s family collection which was I think 6 volumes in one and is one of my favourites even now!

Teajack

Visit site
So many l loved ... Prince Among Ponies Josephine PT and They Bought Her a Pony Joanna Cannan. Pink Pony by Catherine Carey and To Save a Pony Patricia Leitch.

Does anyone remember a book where twins who were always in trouble went out alone and their pony got his foot trapped in a level crossing?

Tarragon

Visit site
I don't mind commenting on an old thread :)
I read all the Jill's Ponies books and Silver Brumby and Flicka ones too, a huge part of my childhood in the 1970's.
I have always loved Bree though, from the Horse and His Boy by C.S.Lewis - not really a proper pony book!

JoannaC

Visit site
Went and bought Fly By Night on my Kindle after reading this and have read it already , didn't ever have it as a child but loved The Team which I read over and over again and think I might still have it somewhere. Thoroughly enjoyed it might have to get some more children's books to read :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I absolutely love 'Wish for a pony' not sure who it's by, my copy is over 40 years old though! It follows a girl named Tamzin and her friend Rissa, I've read it so many times though I pretty much know the plot off by heart!

That's Monica Edwards, wrote about the Romney Marshes with Tamzin and Rissa and also the Puchbowl Farm series. I loved The Black Hunting Whip which I think was the first of the series but there were lots more with them trying to make a living from a small farm and their adventures with the ponies. They eventually met up with the Romney Marsh characters. You can get these books from the internet too.