FBHS list - a select bunch

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This popped up on my Facebook feed. I know that the FBHS is an elite qualification, but I hadn't realised that there had been so few of them. Some famous names in there - I also hadn't realised that Carl Hester is a FBHS.

3EA089F2-EF9D-41F2-B6AB-B9761ADFC379.jpeg

I now know of one of the most recent additions - Kylie Roddie who made such a good impression at Badminton, although she had to pull up on the XC when her horse went lame. She did a few stints in the commentary box and talked a lot of sense.

I've been taught by one of the first trainers to become a FBHS, Dorothy Johnson, who was lovely and super helpful. I went to her regularly for a while.

Anyone else like to share who on this list that they've trained with?

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Good on Kylie, that’s impressive for a relatively young eventer.

I’ve trained mostly with Adam Kemp and Ernest Dillon in days gone by but also with Pammy Hutton & Robert Pickles.

My young event horse goes to Caroline Moore sometimes

Oh and at Uni I had a couple of sessions with Kenneth Clawson

catembi

Visit site
Carole Broad. I booked a lesson while on hol in Gloucester & she spent a lot of it having a conversation with a member stable staff about headcollars. It was beyond belief. The member of staff kept wandering into my lesson with non-urgent queries & Carole chatted away to her as if there wasn't someone in front of her paying an extortionate rate for her attention and not getting it. I was quite young then; if it happened now I would jolly well say something.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's a great list, Robert Pickles use to come teach at our yard when I was in wilts, it was a great experience and I did wish we'd come across someone like that before Frank was in his 20s. Certainly not put off by my attempts to teach a 22/23yo welsh cob to half pass ?.

Mum4b

Visit site
When I started working through my BHS stages in 1988 Sue Payne taught us at our yard in Hertfordshire every other week. She was a lovely lady & fab instructor. Back then we didn’t realise just how lucky we were to have lessons with her. At the time, I also didn’t realise what a small, select group Fellows were.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
I have spend time with J L-C at the old Catherston Stud and it's current base and she and her daughter and grand daughter are absolute legends. I was also lucky enough to train for my intermediate teaching qualification with Brian Young at the old Crabbet Park Equitation Centre. He was also an amazing instructor and despite having some sort of neurological condition he could still ride the pants of all of us aspiring instructors and potential professional riders. Hard but happy days (in retrospect - it was hell at the time!) You had to be tough to survive......

teapot

Visit site
It's a huge undertaking, plus two long days of assessment, a decent CV, and that's after slogging your guts out to get your full I/Stage 5 exams in the first place. The criteria is here for anyone interested https://pathways.bhs.org.uk/career-pathways/coaching-pathway/fellow/ I believe Carl's Fellowship is honourary given his long term competition record. Kylie Roddy must be one of the youngest to receive it?

I've ridden with and made far too many cups of tea for Robert Pickles, trained with Jo Winfield and Sarah MacDonald, felt honoured/humbled to have my I exams assessed and passed by Mandy Lusely, and regularly see one of the more recent additions, though never been brave enough to have a lesson with them!

Heard Sam York speak at the convention one year and she was the most inspiring person too.

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
This popped up on my Facebook feed. I know that the FBHS is an elite qualification, but I hadn't realised that there had been so few of them. Some famous names in there - I also hadn't realised that Carl Hester is a FBHS.

View attachment 92537

I now know of one of the most recent additions - Kylie Roddie who made such a good impression at Badminton, although she had to pull up on the XC when her horse went lame. She did a few stints in the commentary box and talked a lot of sense.

I've been taught by one of the first trainers to become a FBHS, Dorothy Johnson, who was lovely and super helpful. I went to her regularly for a while.

Anyone else like to share who on this list that they've trained with?

William Blane - he was a laugh but not sure I learnt much!! Ah, also Carole Broad and Stephen Clarke. I would have liked a bit more of Stephen Clarke but not so much Carole Broad.

palo1

Visit site
I wish I could have had tuition from Molly Sivewright - there are others too but I loved her philosophy and way of thinking about riding and horses.

EventingMum

Visit site
Lady Townley was our PC chief camp instructor for all my PC years and afterwards when I went back as an instructor. She was a lovely lady and wrote a beautiful inscription in her book for me. As a child, Geoffrey Hattan and Kate Hamilton were seen as gods at The Wirral Riding Centre where I had lessons. Pat Manning visited Wellington Riding where I did my AI training with Jeremy Michaels. Marie Stokes did some RC lessons locally. I also did some II training with Patrick Print. I have also examined alongside Tim Downes and Isla Auty at BHS exams and know Eric Mckechnie - Guire as the Scottish horse world is relatively small

My Son has also been a guinea pig rider at demos for Jennie Loriston-Clarke, Kenneth Clawson, Chris Bartle.

wren123

Visit site
Years ago not long after I did my BHSAI I had some private lessons with Charles Harris, he was brilliant, so positive and got my horse going so nicely. The corrections he made were so subtle but made such a difference.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Carole Broad. I booked a lesson while on hol in Gloucester & she spent a lot of it having a conversation with a member stable staff about headcollars. It was beyond belief. The member of staff kept wandering into my lesson with non-urgent queries & Carole chatted away to her as if there wasn't someone in front of her paying an extortionate rate for her attention and not getting it. I was quite young then; if it happened now I would jolly well say something.

Don't be fooled - she would be watching you. :p
I used to have weekly lessons with her many years ago - and she would sit at the end apparently showing no interest until all of a sudden she would make a comment that cut to the core of what I was doing right or wrong.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I've had help from quite a few of the others - Peta Roberts is lovely, and very supportive, Islay Auty was no-nonsense but great, Jo Winfield very good with jump lessons.
I'm not going to comment on the bad ones... :D

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I had a couple of good sessions with Sabrina Jones years ago and I was a bit terrified when she then was chief examiner for my stage three as she was scary but I passed. I had a one off session with Yogi Breisner years ago but would sell my soul for another. He took three of us he'd not met before with wildly differing abilities from a kid on a stopping pony to a working pupil for an event rider on an advanced horse with me a BE90 amateur in the middle and improved all of us and our horses hugely in a 45 minute session. This was years ago and I still use the exercises he used at least once a month.
Finally I was lucky enough to have Sam York as an instructor/lecturer at college and have had several clinic sessions with her since. She is also brilliant and very inspiring she wasn't much older than us when we were doing our degree. Mid twenties at most but already had her BHSI and a successful event yard. She taught me the importance of having lots of tools in your box and it's a philosophy I still follow today when training young horses. I have my standard way I start them all but if it doesn't suit a particular horse I have many other approaches to try.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I used to have weekly lessons with her many years ago - and she would sit at the end apparently showing no interest until all of a sudden she would make a comment that cut to the core of what I was doing right or wrong.
I'm going to stick my neck out though and say that is not great value. when i was training it was eyewateringly expensive on my wages to shell out for a carole lesson and it would have been nice to get a bit more input :oops: maybe it was a psychological thing. it felt like sitting an exam before your exam.

The lessons i have now are a similar stretch for me to pay for but i feel like the value is huge.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I had a couple of good sessions with Sabrina Jones years ago and I was a bit terrified when she then was chief examiner for my stage three as she was scary but I passed. I had a one off session with Yogi Breisner years ago but would sell my soul for another. He took three of us he'd not met before with wildly differing abilities from a kid on a stopping pony to a working pupil for an event rider on an advanced horse with me a BE90 amateur in the middle and improved all of us and our horses hugely in a 45 minute session. This was years ago and I still use the exercises he used at least once a month.
Finally I was lucky enough to have Sam York as an instructor/lecturer at college and have had several clinic sessions with her since. She is also brilliant and very inspiring she wasn't much older than us when we were doing our degree. Mid twenties at most but already had her BHSI and a successful event yard. She taught me the importance of having lots of tools in your box and it's a philosophy I still follow today when training young horses. I have my standard way I start them all but if it doesn't suit a particular horse I have many other approaches to try.

You must have been at uni at the same time as me, 2003-2006? Sam is great, have had a few private lessons with her as well as having her as a lecturer at uni ?.

One person on that list I've seen wrapping horses with poles, awful awful woman (not Sam obviously)

teapot

Visit site

Good friend of mine was having regular training with Carole Broad and said you’d think you could grab a break, or a quick walk transition etc while she wasn’t looking… and bam, the silence would be broken.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Lady Townley was our PC chief camp instructor for all my PC years and afterwards when I went back as an instructor. She was a lovely lady and wrote a beautiful inscription in her book for me.
She really was lovely. I met her a few times through bridleways groups before The Lady Towneley loop was set up.