Fed up and venting

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They were so incredibly helpful to me, despite me being abroad, I emailed them and they read through a massive email from me and wrote such a nice supportive and informative response back to me, I couldn’t recommend them enough.
Same. In fact some one came out and met my horse I was really struggling to make the call about and confirmed to me i was right. That meant so much and made things so much easier. My family were not on side but having such a knowledgeble person come look and say yes made such a difference to how i felt.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
Why on earth would a vet need to inject *after* using the captive bolt? Sedation before that I can just about understand.
Because the captive bolt doesn’t actually kill but stuns, in the UK they “pith”, after which isn’t pleasant. In the country we were in, that’s how they do it on horses, to ensure they’re gone.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
Same. In fact some one came out and met my horse I was really struggling to make the call about and confirmed to me i was right. That meant so much and made things so much easier. My family were not on side but having such a knowledgeble person come look and say yes made such a difference to how i felt.
It’s a really amazing service and such wonderful people who work in it. ❤️

Exasperated

Visit site
Poor Arab, poor Standardbred and poor, poor you in this situation. I also feel sad for your muggle husband, because all this stress must affect him, too.
Overwhelming consensus from the advice you sought on here - you already know what's best, just how best to achieve.
Have you a local hunt? Hunts routinely deal with fallen stock, including destruction of beyond-help-or-utility animals, they are utterly used to dealing with horses and understand exactly how owners can feel about their horses. And are completely non-judgemental - unlike your unhelpful vet.
If anything like our hunt servants, will arrive neatly and respectfully dressed, take whatever time is necessary, put the horse down quietly and efficiently, and very quickly remove the body as you require. Likely to prove cathartic, you've absolutely nothing to reproach yourself for and you deserve some peace - as does that horse. Good luck.

TheMule

Visit site
Because it doesn’t kill, depending on which type of captive bolt is used. I’m not going to link to pithing as it is derailing the OPs thread but Google has plenty of descriptions I’m sure.

That’s why captive bolts are not considered humane slaughter in the UK- too much margin for error in a horse. Here they are shot with a bullet and it is an instant death.

shanti

Visit site
Just wanted to update on this. Blood tests have come back, he is positive for Cushing's. His levels are super high.
The Vet gave me two options. Try him for two months on Pergolide to see if there is any improvement or PTS now.
I started him on the meds on Monday however I have only been able to get two doses into him, one with a syringe dipped in molasses and the other with a honey sandwich. Both these attempts only worked once, he has caught on very quickly and now I can't catch him at all, and he now refuses to eat anything from my hand or bucket (I think I tried everything in my kitchen last night)
After chasing him around the paddock for 3 hours this morning and almost getting kicked multiple times from him rearing up at me I am just done with this horse. I desperately want to see if the medication works for him but the thought of trying to get him to take it every day is just depressing and deflating. I also can't ethically leave a horse with a medical condition untreated, and ultimately, that's what this will, and has, become.

My vet is away until Wednesday, but I will be making a call. I am really struggling with the decision, but I think it's the only think I can do.

Marigold4

Visit site
Just wanted to update on this. Blood tests have come back, he is positive for Cushing's. His levels are super high.
The Vet gave me two options. Try him for two months on Pergolide to see if there is any improvement or PTS now.
I started him on the meds on Monday however I have only been able to get two doses into him, one with a syringe dipped in molasses and the other with a honey sandwich. Both these attempts only worked once, he has caught on very quickly and now I can't catch him at all, and he now refuses to eat anything from my hand or bucket (I think I tried everything in my kitchen last night)
After chasing him around the paddock for 3 hours this morning and almost getting kicked multiple times from him rearing up at me I am just done with this horse. I desperately want to see if the medication works for him but the thought of trying to get him to take it every day is just depressing and deflating. I also can't ethically leave a horse with a medical condition untreated, and ultimately, that's what this will, and has, become.

My vet is away until Wednesday, but I will be making a call. I am really struggling with the decision, but I think it's the only think I can do.
I had the same problem years ago with an elderly companion pony with a pituitary gland tumour. Would NOT eat the pergolide. After weeks of wrestling with her and trying every solution under the sun, we PTS as she had another fit. I'm sorry you are going through this. It's miserable. If only we could explain to them the importance of taking the tablet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That’s why captive bolts are not considered humane slaughter in the UK- too much margin for error in a horse. Here they are shot with a bullet and it is an instant death.

I've had two horses done with a captive bolt. The first in 1983, the second in 2012 by the drag hunt. Bullets can miss as easily as a captive bolt can. There was no problem with either and it's a lot safer for the humans. I've never heard that it was considered unethical, I'd be ok to have it used on a horse of mine. I suspect it was stopped for horses because of the reactions of owners.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I'm so sorry this is how it has turned out but you are certainly making the right decision.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If he won't take the meds that he needs, you really only do have one choice left. Take some comfort from the fact that along with all his other problems, even the pergolide probably wouldn't make much difference for very long. Neither of you is happy in the current situation, pts will be the last kindness that you can do for him.
I'm sorry that you have had to deal with this because his previous owner wasn't honest.