:( Fed up of chasing - please help

ItsJzo

Visit site
I bought my cob just 6 days ago, and in that time I have tried to find out as much info as I possibly can about him..

The lady I bought him from is lovely, and she bought him through pity from the sheer state he was in, she went to buy a Welsh Section A for her daughter that they had advertised and came home with Oreo instead!

So I have added the people who she bought him from on facebook however I have since found out they DIDN'T breed him, and that they bought him at 6 months old...

So far I have found that his Dad is a piebald heavy called ''The Guvnor'' (famous stepper cob in the gypsy world) and his Mum is just one of the many mares in the field at the time, she was a tricolour heavy cob called Ruby...

What winds me up is that fact they cannot find even 1 pic of his Mum, so I can't get an idea of conformation/build etc, and what is even more astonishing is that fact they don't even know when he was born (the people that actually bred him!)

They say between 23rd and 31st...I could probably appreciate a days difference but not too have checked your horses in 7/8 days??? Apparently the people who bred him didn't feel the need to check on their horses cos they had water and grass?

Ahhhh I just hate having to pester this women to tell me more about him but I want him for life and would really appreciate even the most basic of details :(

I also questioned her as too why he isn't as hairy as his Mum and Dad because The Guvnor is extremely heavy and hairy, and in a picture of Patch as a foal, you can just see his Mums bum, and she is really hairy aswell, and she said he suffered from bog burn because her fields are really boggy...

Anybody else experienced bog burn? I have never heard of it before (guess thats where my horsey inexperience shows!), and any ideas on how I can promote the quicker healthier growth of his feathers?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you only bought the horse six days ago I'd be a little more patient, and a little less badgering perhaps???

jrp204

Visit site
Does it really matter? You bought him because of who/what he is, i assume he is a gelding so breeding from him is not an issue. I really wouldn't worry about it, when he was born is irrelevant when you are talking about days, enjoy him for what he is rather then what you think he should be.

sophiebailey

Visit site
The only thing I know about my boy is that his mum was a section D, his dad was 'a cob' and he was bred by gypsys and used in a riding school from the age of 2.5 :( this is why he won't tolerate people hanging onto his mouth or children :(

I'd say you've already found out quite a lot, and if they didn't take enough of an interest in their breeding to check the mares that were due to foal regularly then they won't have been doing things 'properly' enough to give you anymore info :( x

meesha

Visit site
I think a lot of owners dont have a clue on their horses history, me for one ! I bought my chap as an unbacked 3 year old, no idea of his birthday (although I know the year from the passport) no idea who his parents are - the only thing I was told is that he has travelled to scotland and back between owners and been shown in hand !!

Once you get to know your horse you will find that none of it matters - the breeding to me would only be an issue if buying a youngster to see how big it will make etc.

If you are trying to find out how big he will make ask as another thread on here as I believe there is some method of measuring used on youngsters.

ps he has a lovely name, pics would be great !

Goldenstar

Visit site
Does your horse have a passport that says he's by that stallion ? Is it a DNA taken passport .
Why should these people give you a picture of mum what bearing has it on anything they probally don't have one it just not relevant to you and your horse now. Now I would be able to tell you exactly what time one of mine was born but the worlds not like that for all horses sounds like its a guess at best again what does the passport say if its the best guide you will get.
You hate pestering the woman then don't not everyone wants or welcomes contact from people with horses they have bred I would let it go and get on with the now and planning the future.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
you've managed to find out a fair bit of information so i don't quite understand what else you want to know:confused: I have a pony here who has no parentage listed in his passport, it really doesn't worry or bother me though, he's a cracking little pony and that's all that matters to me.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think you should start thinking more about his future, and less about his past! :D

My last horse i bought in the days pre-passport I had no idea of his history other than that he had come over from Ireland as a 3yo, and hunted as a hireling over his 3-4 yo winter by the dealer I bought him off :eek:

I didn't know his birthday, so as a TB I put it as the first of january in my head, and as for his breeding, anytime anyone asked I would just say he was out of Ireland by Boat, took them a while to get that sometimes ;) :D

Breeding really is quite unimportant for most people, esp with geldings obviously!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Waffles fasinating link to all that stuff about feathers talk about focusing on stuff that's irrelevant to soundness and usefulness like temperament .
Since the sight of feathers has me reaching for the clippers not really that important for me they would have liked my Clydesdale section d cross he had long straight slinky feathers when he arrived and mane to the point of his shoulder he's now kept clipped with two and a half inches of mane looks like a different horse!!! I think the Romanys would sack me.

Patterdale

Visit site
IMO there's no such thing as bog burn- it's made up by people as an excuse to why a horse doesn't have much feather.

I think you might just have to accept that you have a perfectly lovely horse, but you might not ever know the full truth about him. In a whole field of coloured mares popping out coloured foals, IME some breeders don't tend to fully keep track of them

:)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Its a gypsy pony. You've been lucky to find out that much! They're lovely types in general, whatever the breeding. It doesn't matter what his mum looks like, he will be what he will be... They don't always look like their parents. Just get on with enjoying him..

Potato!

Visit site
I must admit if you kept on at me it would wind me up amd i would be less inclined to give out info. Surley if you plan to keep the horse for life and you like what you saw when you bought him then it really shouldnt matter. I do not know my horses breeding other than the fact that he is IDXTB, it really doesn't concern me although it would have been nice to know.

Kadastorm

Visit site
i would stop badgering the old owners and think about having fun with your new horse. You have more information than most people have about their own horse/s, its not the end of the world.
You've had him 6days and say you plan on keeping him forever, so you have plenty of time to find out more about him.

Auslander

Visit site
I think you have probably found out all you're going to find out. If he's gypsy bred, he was a commodity, rather than a pet. No disrespect - there are some pretty amazing old fashioned horsemen within the community, but they look at/manage their horses in a completely different way to us leisure horse owners.

Enjoy the future, and don't worry about the past

Auslander

Visit site
Waffles fasinating link to all that stuff about feathers talk about focusing on stuff that's irrelevant to soundness and usefulness like temperament .
Since the sight of feathers has me reaching for the clippers not really that important for me they would have liked my Clydesdale section d cross he had long straight slinky feathers when he arrived and mane to the point of his shoulder he's now kept clipped with two and a half inches of mane looks like a different horse!!! I think the Romanys would sack me.

Sniggers! Me too! I'm sure mine would grow feathers and a beard if I let him - but that's never going to happen!

Patterdale

Visit site
I posted before I saw yours waffles so sorry if I seemed to be having a go! :)

Now that lots of feather in Travellers horses is very popular, lots of breeders blame 'bog burn' when horses don't have much feather, saying that its had 'bog burn' and the feather will 'grow back' in time.

Its usually just an excuse though

Waffles

Visit site
lol, yes - a lady at our yard bought a skewbald big gypsy cob type - he has feathering about the same as a welsh cob (i.e. not much - just a bit of a tuft). She keeps saying "I can't wait for his feathers to grow back!".

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not a feathers fan either; why would you want all that fluff and have to wash, pig oil, deal with mites, etc., etc.?

LollyDolly

Visit site
Why do you need to know?
I don't even know what breed my current horse is, only that he is an Irish x! However he looks to have a lot of Irish Cob and Connemara in him, hence the adorable name of Cobbemara! :D
Also his passport states that he is a year older than he is, and also that he is palomino when he is actually perlino!
So I don't know my horses actual breed, none of his parents, the month/year he was born (vet put him at 5 years old!) and the colour is incorrect!

Does it bother me? Nope, not at all.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Why do you need to know?

I can fully understand the OP wanting to know. I was hugely excited to get all the information on one of my horses from his breeders etc.

However, I think the OP needs to be a little bit more realistic on the time frame for receiving the answers to her questions.

Bernster

Visit site
I would like to know more about my boy as don't know anything apart from the year before I had him. But it's just not always the case that you get full history and, although it's of interest, I don't think it changes me and him much really.

I do have full history of my new mare which is nice but again think I'm more keen on looking to the future :)

9tails

Visit site
All I know is that the passport reckons mine was born in 2000. It would be lovely to find out more, she's a good looking well put together mare, but I enjoy her for what she is NOW, rather than what she was.

eeyore13

Visit site
There is such thing as Bog burn, unless you own a heavy horse then you wouldnt know. My youngster has suffered from it, i can show you pics from last summer and now, you couldnt see his hooves when i got him, you can now after this wet weather.
I can fully understand wanting to know the horses breeding back ground but you must also realise you may not recieve it all. What you have so far found out is amazing. If he is a gelding then you dont really need to know anymore.

I bought a 18 month old gypsy cob colt of unknown breeding and luckly his breeder spotted him on a FB site that i had posted his pic on and got in touch. I know she is telling the truth as she told me her story of selling him and who to before i mentioned anything. I changed his name when i got him so she had no clue at all about us.
Long story short i was lucky enough that his breeder is lovely and i went and visted them, met his Grand Sire, Sire, Grand Dam and Dam, i have also managed to track down lots of brothers and sisters of him.

PM his breeders name please as maybe able to help? Also if you havent already got the group on your FB add "Proper Cobs" lots of friendly people willing to help with everything to do with Gypsy cobs x:)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I can fully understand the OP wanting to know.

However, I think the OP needs to be a little bit more realistic on the time frame for receiving the answers to her questions.

That plus the type of people they seem to be, that the horse is a commodity to them, nothing more, nothing less, I think they're lucky to have been given as much as they have already and I doubt very much if they ever take any pictures of them anyway.

Like someone else mentioned, I'd be totally fed up to be badgered so much and be likely to dig my heels in too.

ItsJzo

Visit site
Only just had the chance to reply and although yes I appreciate I should be more patient, I want to get something straight..

I DO LOVE HIM for what he IS NOW. Thats why I bought him in the first place, but am I wrong for wanting to know just the basic of WHEN was he born?! I don't think so!!

I just want to get a rough idea of what sort of build he is because I fell in love with the way he looks and the past he has had, but when I saw him, I had my doubts as too whether he would be big enough but at the same time judging from the small info I have managed to get he should be plenty big enough carry me but it would definitely ease my mind if I knew the build of the mother.

He is gelded because I paid to have him gelded, I wouldn't want to use him as a stud, there is enough horses out there needing homes without me adding too them, especially cobs!

And on top of that I don't think it's fair to say I have REALLY pestered her, I have had 2 long conversations with her, and when I have asked her for the most basic of things, she avoids them!

I am not getting my leg out the pram because I don't agree with what you guys have posted because I do, I just feel like if I were to own a horse and sell, I would want to ensure him the best start and would do my best to give all information to new owners...

And yes maybe guiltily most of it is because I am so excited too have him... I want to make a scrapbook for him and want to put 2 pictures and his D.O.B on the front etc..then his parents on next page..etc etc....

ItsJzo

Visit site
There is such thing as Bog burn, unless you own a heavy horse then you wouldnt know. My youngster has suffered from it, i can show you pics from last summer and now, you couldnt see his hooves when i got him, you can now after this wet weather.
I can fully understand wanting to know the horses breeding back ground but you must also realise you may not recieve it all. What you have so far found out is amazing. If he is a gelding then you dont really need to know anymore.

I bought a 18 month old gypsy cob colt of unknown breeding and luckly his breeder spotted him on a FB site that i had posted his pic on and got in touch. I know she is telling the truth as she told me her story of selling him and who to before i mentioned anything. I changed his name when i got him so she had no clue at all about us.
Long story short i was lucky enough that his breeder is lovely and i went and visted them, met his Grand Sire, Sire, Grand Dam and Dam, i have also managed to track down lots of brothers and sisters of him.

PM his breeders name please as maybe able to help? Also if you havent already got the group on your FB add "Proper Cobs" lots of friendly people willing to help with everything to do with Gypsy cobs x:)

Thank you so much, I will give that site a go, I don't know the actual breeders name, the lady who took him on at 6 months won't tell me... I know she has them on facebook cos she told me....
I know his sire is who they say because I am close friends with someone who is friends with the women who had him at 6 months and they also backed me up on the sire... also my cob boy ''Oreo'' is spitting image of the sire, literally down to a tee!

Ill give that site a go now! thank you again

Toffee44

Visit site
I was very lucky to find out some of Sambas history when someone recognised her in a picture with her foal. I knew she was a gypsy pony (hackney x welsh) now her passport says bred in Ireland bloke I spoke to said if thats the Samba I know then she came out of a welsh mare in North London. He said his son drove her for the person I bought her off, believe this story as he named the person I bought her off. He wanted to buy her when back in work as she was a good mare, I said no :) she is staying put with me :)

However I had a cob on horrible land thick muddy clay one end, stodgy chalk the other and not once did he appear bog burnt.

However if you hibiscrub wash the feathers and then rub in (wear gloves) pig oil and sulphur (good prices on ebay) from his knees down it will keep the feathers clean and free from mites.

As for information, what more do you need. You know what his mum was you know what his dad was?? All you prob need to know is if he was driven and that is about all you need to know. I am lucky that I roughly know my horses history (jake because he was only 3yo when we got him bred by gypsy, broke by gypsy and drove him before we bought him). Toffees original owner knew her dam. And Samba when I got her all I knew was that she was a welsh cob/ cross 8yr old, and she was driven from about 2.5 and had 2 foals from 5yrs old and that the womans kids were able to ride her round the yard. I was lucky with that phonecall above.