Feedback on youngster conformation please

Marigold4

Visit site
Would anyone like to comment on this youngster's conformation? He's 2 years and 5 months. We came last in a youngstock class recently and we're feeling a bit despondent. Is he too light of bone? Leg markings not high enough for a proper dun? Does he look as though he will make a reasonable ridden prospect? He's 14.3 now and hoping he'll make 15 hh min. Happy to hear all genuine feedback. IMG_1355.JPG

ozpoz

Visit site
Don't worry about his placing! Lots of people don't show 2yr olds because they are up against 3yr olds, who have grown past the gangly 2yr old phase. He looks balanced with a good length of neck and lovely shoulder. What kind of class was he in? Type is important to most judges, and in a part bred arab youngstock (I'm guessing) class he would not look light of bone. in a hunter type class, he would be.

Marigold4

Visit site
Don't worry about his placing! Lots of people don't show 2yr olds because they are up against 3yr olds, who have grown past the gangly 2yr old phase. He looks balanced with a good length of neck and lovely shoulder. What kind of class was he in? Type is important to most judges, and in a part bred arab youngstock (I'm guessing) class he would not look light of bone. in a hunter type class, he would be.

I think maybe showing will not be for me. It seems strange not to know why you came first or last. It'll be good for him to go and see things but I don't think i'll put so much effort next time. I was the only one plaited. If I haven't got up in the early hours to prepare, then maybe I won't mind.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He looks like a very nice type. It is possible that the judge just doesn't like duns. Were the highest placed all bay?
TBH I think all you need to think about is "did he behave on the day?"

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think he looks lovely.

Funny thing is, I resisted opening this thread as often people ask for critique, show a photo(s) of an awkward looking horse, then are offended when people don't like it. It must be heart warming when you open the thread and everyone (so far) likes your beautiful horse!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think he looks lovely.

Funny thing is, I resisted opening this thread as often people ask for critique, show a photo(s) of an awkward looking horse, then are offended when people don't like it. It must be heart warming when you open the thread and everyone (so far) likes your beautiful horse!

I sometimes find myself saying "What a kind eye/lovely face"

Marigold4

Visit site
He is indeed buckskin. He was born cream coloured with very little markings. I wonder if his black leg markings will develop further up his legs?

Marigold4

Visit site
He is indeed buckskin. He was born cream coloured with very little markings. I wonder if his black leg markings will develop further up his legs?
I think he looks lovely.

Marigold4

Visit site
He looks like a very nice type. It is possible that the judge just doesn't like duns. Were the highest placed all bay?
TBH I think all you need to think about is "did he behave on the day?"
Well, it was a youngstock class. He trotted round beautifully but didn't want to stand still. He was much better in the second class (adult riding horse) but we came last again below a youngster who reared and nearly kicked his owner in the head and wouldn't trot. I'm not complaining about the judging just wanting to check there isn't anything glaringly awful about the way he's put together. Sometimes it's difficult for the owner to be objective.

be positive

Visit site
He is just my type, enough depth of girth, good front, with plenty of quality and looks as if he can move, in hand classes are so difficult to judge and most will go for a type they like and often a small quality one will get overlooked if it blends into the background a bit, which he does against the school walls, if you are going to do more I would get a stronger coloured browband to brighten him up a little and a wider flat noseband would be more suited to his head.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It would be nice to see a confo pic of him if you have one.

His legs may colour in a bit more but like bays they don't always and some do stay more restricted on their points.

Marigold4

Visit site
He is just my type, enough depth of girth, good front, with plenty of quality and looks as if he can move, in hand classes are so difficult to judge and most will go for a type they like and often a small quality one will get overlooked if it blends into the background a bit, which he does against the school walls, if you are going to do more I would get a stronger coloured browband to brighten him up a little and a wider flat noseband would be more suited to his head.

Thank you for this. That's really useful. I get it now. So he's a nicely put together horse but a bit "beige", particularly indoors under artificial light . So difficult to impress and compete against other richer colours. He was also somewhat sweaty at the start (see photo!) making him even more beigeIMG_1365.JPG. Thanks for bridle tips. What colour browband do you think would suit him please.

be positive

Visit site
It would be easy to glance at him and not really see him and first impressions really count, not much you can really do if showing indoors outside he will be much more eyecatching.

I would go for a strong bright colour, burgundy can look good with gold, or a deep teal/ turquoise with gold, if you want to be more traditional go for red/ white/ blue but I like to be a bit different.

Tidying the top of his tail would improve the overall picture, just a rake through on each side would do if you don't want the full pulled look., I would probably wear dark trousers as his legs are a bit washed out at this time of year, they should come darker in the summer although many have similar markings both the buckskins I have had here were much the same as yours.