Feeding a yearling

Marnie

Visit site
Hi all,

I have just taken on a yearling who hasn't had the best start, she hasn't had much handling and is quite poor and ribby, she is about 13hh and quite finely built. She has been wormed and treated for lice and had her first vaccinations. She is out at grass at night and in with hay during the day - she is living with my small Welsh pony who needs to be on restricted food. The grass is reasonable and she isn't muzzled - the Welsh pony is. Bringing her in is also helping with getting her used to being handled and away from flies during the day.

She is getting a small amount of Happy Hoof when she comes in at the moment. I don't want to feed her too much too soon as she is a bit poor but thought that I may need to give her some form of youngstock food. Anyone any thoughts about the best thing to give her - or am I best just carrying on as I am at the moment? I have had a yearling before following a 'BOGOF' but that was a while ago!

Thanks for any thoughts.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
as no one else has replied I will bump with what I'm feeding mine
I have a 3yo and a yearling, they live together. I give hay morning and night which they are still wanting as the grass is a bit sparse. In addition they have a double handful of grass chaff and a youngstock balancer, I'm using D&H suregrow as I can get hold of it reliably.

I do have vit & min supps on hand for when they move as the grass in their other paddock has been saved for a few months and they won't need the extra then.

windand rain

Visit site
Another vote for a small amount of grass chaff and suregrow balancer plus as much hay and grass as she can eat