Feeding advice for foal

Hi my new boy is arriving next week he's 6 months old and has been weaned already and isn't living with mum.

He's currently being fed hay, a small scoop of sugar beet, and a small scoop of Dodson and horrell mare and youngstock mix. I'm wondering if this is ok he's not currently being turned out and is stabled.

I hope to eventually have him turned out during the day once he settles and gets used to grass.
Do you normally feed your youngsters hard feed. (He's a small cob type)
Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

ihatework

As weanlings they were fed stud balancer and ad-lib haylage (sporthorses) but once spring grass comes through as a yearling then feeding stops.

Personally I wouldn’t be feeding sb & mix to a weanling cob but that said, wouldn’t switch immediately ... let him arrive and settle in on the same feed and then I’d probably gradually switch to a small amount of suregrow (if anything at all). Obviously once the spring grass is through there will be far less need to feed at all.

Thanks that's a great help. 👍
that was my thinking too with the suregrow and spring grass once through too ☺️

fairyclare

My weanling gets unmollased beet, micronised linseed and forge plus young stock winter balancer, he is out 24/7 with access to adlib hay.
The beet is purely as carrier for the linseed and balancer which gives him all the vets and mins he needs.