Feeding advice for foal

bluebear

Visit site
Hi my new boy is arriving next week he's 6 months old and has been weaned already and isn't living with mum.

He's currently being fed hay, a small scoop of sugar beet, and a small scoop of Dodson and horrell mare and youngstock mix. I'm wondering if this is ok he's not currently being turned out and is stabled.

I hope to eventually have him turned out during the day once he settles and gets used to grass.
Do you normally feed your youngsters hard feed. (He's a small cob type)
Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

ihatework

Visit site
As weanlings they were fed stud balancer and ad-lib haylage (sporthorses) but once spring grass comes through as a yearling then feeding stops.

Personally I wouldn’t be feeding sb & mix to a weanling cob but that said, wouldn’t switch immediately ... let him arrive and settle in on the same feed and then I’d probably gradually switch to a small amount of suregrow (if anything at all). Obviously once the spring grass is through there will be far less need to feed at all.

fairyclare

Visit site
My weanling gets unmollased beet, micronised linseed and forge plus young stock winter balancer, he is out 24/7 with access to adlib hay.
The beet is purely as carrier for the linseed and balancer which gives him all the vets and mins he needs.