Feeding Red Cell/Propel or equivalent

emfen1305

Visit site
I have tried looking on the forum for the answer but couldn't find one. I'm looking at putting my cob on something like the above to see if helps give him a bit more oomph through the winter months. He's a cob x who is a good weight though is lacking a bit of muscle after being off for 2 months due to ulcers (he was rescoped clear last week so slowly coming back into work). He was fairly fit before the break and can't imagine he's lost too much of that but still a bit behind the leg in the school when asked to work properly. I know the answer really is in the schooling and transitions and building a bit of that fitness up but just as a trial i'd like to see if some sort of supplement would help over the next couple of months as a little pick me up!

Does anyone have any recommendations? How long do you feed them for ie for a short while or everyday?

He's currently being fed the following twice a day:

1/2 scoop top chop lite
1 mug of topspec lite balancer
1 mug of ulsakind cubes (looking to build this up to two mugs but worried about too much weight)
100g Protexin
Scoop of Yeasacc

Any recommendations would be great! He's will be coming back into light work over the next month (4-5 days a week mix of hacking, schooling and lunging).

Jinx94

Visit site
Red cell certainly gives oomph.. but not necessarily in an ideal way! I used it when my youngster was anaemic (on vets advice) and was so relieved when I was finally able to stop feeding it!

His change in behaviour would have been influenced by a number of things, but we took him off red cell about a week before he was allowed to be turned out again, and he went back to his normal cuddly, cheeky self. It had him climbing the walls, walking him in hand was a nightmare.

This won't be everyone's experience, but personally I won't use it again.

Clava

Visit site
Red Cell is very high in iron which generally is not good for horses and blocks the take up of important minerals such as copper and zinc.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have never found a difference in oomph when I have fed Red Cell/Propell.

I would swap the TopSpec Lite for TopSpec Racehorse balancer. This is what I add when I need oomph, as mine are laid back types, I have tried everything over the years.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I fed my laid back NF lump Red Cell combined with Spillers Instant Energy Mix when I was getting him fit for the pony drifts. I'm not sure whether it was the fact he was fit or the food/supplement but boy did he get excited!!!

I've also used Kossolian Blood salts in the autumn which has helped with energy levels as he used to go flat at coat changing time.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Red Cell is very high in iron which generally is not good for horses and blocks the take up of important minerals such as copper and zinc.

Totally agree, and in fact most horses just do not need extra iron, going by my grazing results, I would do quite a lot off harm if I fed it to mine.
Looking at his current diet, firstly why is he on protexin and yeasacc? I personally don't see the point in feeding both and could save money. could you not swap the chaff for a more nutritious one? a Alfa a would give a bit more energy but bare in mind it may add on a bit off weight, but if your working him he should be fine

emfen1305

Visit site
Totally agree, and in fact most horses just do not need extra iron, going by my grazing results, I would do quite a lot off harm if I fed it to mine.
Looking at his current diet, firstly why is he on protexin and yeasacc? I personally don't see the point in feeding both and could save money. could you not swap the chaff for a more nutritious one? a Alfa a would give a bit more energy but bare in mind it may add on a bit off weight, but if your working him he should be fine

i'm not in the position to get the grazing tested so i'm not sure exactly what is in it but i do know it is very poor and we make up for this with ad lib haylage. The Protexin is for his stomach to ease excess acid and the yeasacc is to help his hind gut as recommended. I may try the Alfa A and keep an eye on the weight gain, i suspect another issue besides the ulcers that is making him lack in energy but want to try a cheap option before going down the nerve blocking/scanning route. Thanks for the advice :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i'm not in the position to get the grazing tested so i'm not sure exactly what is in it but i do know it is very poor and we make up for this with ad lib haylage. The Protexin is for his stomach to ease excess acid and the yeasacc is to help his hind gut as recommended. I may try the Alfa A and keep an eye on the weight gain, i suspect another issue besides the ulcers that is making him lack in energy but want to try a cheap option before going down the nerve blocking/scanning route. Thanks for the advice :)

it might be worth you doing a pasture analysis if you are using the same fields all the time - I did one a couple of years ago with Progreen who sent back an analysis specifically for horses, telling me which elements were high/low etc. Was about £25 and the results came back really fast.

My older mare goes a bit low in the winter sometimes, I find she picks up well with a B vitamin supplement, I have used one from Horse First in the past. I think if you suspect your horse has some gut issues then he might not be getting the levels of B vits that a fully healthy horse would do.