Feeding youngstock - I’m confused

blitznbobs

Visit site
Well in the olden days we just fed a youngstck cube or mix and lots of hay and now I’ve been reading up on nutrition and the advice seems to vary massively - is this the case or am I over thinking this?

JJS

Visit site
First question to ask yourself is whether your youngster needs feeding. Mine is rising four now and has never had hard feed. Even a balancer was too much for her in terms of energy and sent her a little bit loopy. If your horse has 24/7 access to forage, no matter his or her age, that might be enough. It really does depend on the individual.

ihatework

Visit site
Stud balancer at most.
Plus hay.

As a starting point at least.
But if your grass is good in summer you probably don’t need bucket feed then

Nudibranch

Visit site
I completely forgot to feed a youngstock cube with my current horse when she was younger (no idea how or why I forgot, she just got the same as the others!) and she is still filling out nicely as a 5yo. In the past I've always fed Suregrow. We do have plenty of old pasture though. It very much depends on what's available. I'd probably be a bit wary actually with natives and similar. I don't think they need it.

Reactions: JJS

PSD

Visit site
My 3 year old fell gets a handful of Alfa a oil to mix her equimins multi vitamin with. She will be coming off it when this tub runs out though, I don’t want her on any sort of hard feed over summer. She’s already a bit more “well” than I’d like!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, I'll join your confusion. Last time I had a youngster (2006), he was on hay 24/7 (dry lots in CO... no grass), and I gave him a handful of pony nuts. Now you start asking the internet, what should I feed my 2-year old, and you disappear down a rabbit hole.

At the breeder's, she's on grass and hay 24/7. Not sure what to do when she gets to my yard, where she will be stabled overnight.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine are getting Suregrow in a bit of grass chaff and good ad lib hay. the grass is non existent at the moment.

Batgirl

Visit site
It really is wholly dependent on the quality of the forage (pasture and hay) and how well they do on it. My Clydesdale is a really poor doer, and a poor eater - he is currently out in the day and in at night, completely adlib hay in a wheelie bin and he only goes through a small bale every 2 to 3 days.

He was the same as a 3 year old. He simply wouldn't maintain weight with no hard feed and I had him on Suregrow, chaff, linseed and balancer.

He's now 6 and he needs a decent amount of hardfeed to keep him at a 3 condition score. Hes on Alfa A Molasses Free, Balancer, Salt, Linseed now and doing well.

Been checked by the vet, nothing 'wrong' just a slow/small eater.

I went to an independent nutritionist so I wasn't bamboozled by a brand ambassador.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My youngster came to me on baileys youngstock mix, stud balancer and chaff. I kept him on the same to start with but as everyone swaps buckets and the sheep join in at feed time. Everyone is on chaff, sugarbeet and a mix which is safe for everyone. They have adlib hay also. Im really pleased with how he's developing too.