Feel a bit sick and angry

Sparkles

Visit site
I'd agree. There is a huge difference between rising 2 and rising 3, in terms of if you had set plans of what you wanted to achieve this year with them.
Selling her now, is no different as someone selling any other horse. She'll find a lovely new home and will carry on eating grass for a year - just with another person.

I love my 2 year old to bits and am actually really starting to enjoy doing all the ground work rather than having a main horse to ride. I was going to get another older horse for me to ride, however, I've now decided I like playing with Sparks on the ground too much! Granted, I can't wait till next year to start riding him...but until then I'm happy to do everything with him that he'll ever do when ridden also, with the hope that he'll be a super ridden later on in life. I do however have many other horses to ride at work and have fun with - so I do still have ones to ride.

If you need to sell her as she doesn't suit your requirements, then sell her and try and find an older one. There's no harm or shame in that! It'd be no different than a novice buying a plod horse - to it then turn out to be too fizzy. Not what they need, so they'd sell it and find one that they needed again. If you're not happy with the horse, then it's best for both to find yourself a new one that you like, and find someone for her who suits her also. Happy endings all round. Cob fillies always sell well, so I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Or, is there any way of keeping her somehow and getting another ridden one for yourself for a year? Either on loan for a year or whatever? You can have a years fun on another horse, and then next year, have her to work on :)

Last edited:

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I can't add much more than everyone else has said. But if it were me I'd take a step back and try to decide if she is the horse for you personality wise - have you clicked? If so I'd keep and find free riding in the mean time to keep you ticking over. When buying horses there is always something that isn't right, if this is the only issue then I think you'd be better off waiting!

If however you're not overly fussed about her and not really bonded/don't think you will then sell her and get something the age you wanted.

Sounds like this was a real shock and big disappointment for you so give it a few days to mull over. Things always seem better the next day :)

Hope it all works out for you.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Moggy - how are you feeling about it all today?

I never intended to get a 2 year old either - strange that we both lost our horses at almost the same time on the same date last year and both got two year olds. My criteria was also nothing younger than three, but I fell in love with her and decided that a year was nothing. BUT the difference is that I'm not arsed about riding. I am enjoying leading her out, getting her to long-rein and a bit of lunging and general handling. I like the fact that I don't have hours of my day taken up actually with riding. Ten minutes of doing something is enough for her (unless we're going out for a walk, when we go out for longer!). I wasn't sure that I would, but I love doing the ground work. Teaching something new and then watching them learn is something I've never done before and after this one, I will always, always buy two year olds when getting other horses.
If you can ride something else in the meantime, then do so - but make sure that before you sell, you are 100% certain you are doing the right thing x

indie999

Visit site
Well excuse me wagtail you obviously no nothing about me at all.
My mare was out of action for a good year at one point due to pedal bone rotation so do not treat me like a complete fool or selfish! You have no idea about my life with horses so please refrain from pointing your finger. Point is, I do not feel she is for me, I wanted somthing at 3yrs at the youngest, it was one of my few criteria, and I was 'sold' a 3yr old who is only in fact rising 2! It is too young for what I want, by a year yes. If I decide to keep her then so be it, but your post is out of order

Wagtail is probablyJust straight to the point as you found out the truth can hurt.Just sell it as long as you get what you want and are happy thats really the main thing too. The horse will be better off in the long run and then you can get the 3 year old. Its simple really. Hope it works out for you and you get what you want. Good luck.

indie999

Visit site
My mare was out of action for a good year at one point due to pedal bone rotation so do not treat me like a complete fool or selfish! You have no idea about my life with horses so please refrain from pointing your finger. Point is, I do not feel she is for me, I wanted somthing at 3yrs at the youngest, it was one of my few criteria, and I was 'sold' a 3yr old who is only in fact rising 2! It is too young for what I want, by a year yes. If I decide to keep her then so be it, but your post is out of order

Wagtail is probablyJust straight to the point Just sell it as long as you get what you want and are happy thats really the main thing too. The horse will be better off in the long run and then you can get the 3 year old. Its simple really. Hope it works out for you and you get what you want. Good luck.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thanks to the majority of you for listening. This was huge shock. I was shaking with anger at being lied to, that was my point but a few seemed to completely miss the point.
I am all over the shop with it tbh. Thanks CS for putting this in words how it is on your last post.
To me there is a huge difference, she could do with going out and being a baby for another year. I thought she was 3 and that we could start getting her used to a saddle and bridle and backing later in the year, I was prepared to wait for that time, but she is not what I was sold on the tin. Yes, things change, but the owner was very blooming dishonest. I have contacted his vet this evening over email asking if she was checked over as the owner is suggesting. He gave me some spiel about the vet told him her age. Now this man is a very wise horseman, he knows darn well she is rising two.
I feel angry as I was so suspicious of her age, I questioned him again and again, and then put it down to her being a later developer as some are. But the more I stand back and look at her physique and temperament the more I think she is only just 2 :(

I paid alot of money for her given her true age, I would have paid considerably less had I been told her real age, well in fact I would not have purchased her full stop.

I do like this filly yes, she is a real nice sort, but I wanted something i could really start this year. If I still had my own land I would keep her, but my livery is very expensive to be keeping a baby out on whom frankly is a significant year younger than sold.
I have thought about if there is anywhere very cheap around here, but I cannot think of anywhere. And I do not see why I should just keep a horse that is not as described, as you say CS, if they are not as described many people return them or try. Happened at my yard just the other week. I am entitled to want this, but old owner not interested surprise surprise.

Thanks HH. I am so confused about all this and so angry and upset. I felt sick sorting out her advert last night :( It is just such a shame people are not honest, but he knew she was worth more if older, I would never have purchased her.

I have not yet bonded with her, and I am so upset by it all I would want out tomorrow if I could, feel like I have really had my fingers burnt here.
I want a 3/4yr old as a minimum as I want something young enough to bring on myself and old enough to actually start backing, she does not fall into this, she is a baby who I could do things with, but these are not things I want to do.
I could have purchased a much cheaper youngster had I wanted a yearling rising 2yr old :(

Feel like I have been taken for a mug, you live and you learn. She will make a lovely cob for some one but she is not yet 2 and simply not what I want :(

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Wagtail is probablyJust straight to the point Just sell it as long as you get what you want and are happy thats really the main thing too. The horse will be better off in the long run and then you can get the 3 year old. Its simple really. Hope it works out for you and you get what you want. Good luck.

Thanks indie999, yes I have seen wagtail in action on here before, but I will not say any more on the matter.
I am shocked and upset at the whole thing. It is a real shame but I want a 3year old minimum. I think some people will remember that I was very clearly looking for something 3yrs and over. Yes things change but I did want something I could bring on this year.
Hopefully she will sell, I will lose money without a doubt but she should get a nice home, I care for this filly, she is a sweetie but not suitable at all for me :(
She will make some one a lovely mare one day

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i think some people are more emotional about these things. Who cares if she sells her? She isnt mistreating the horse for goodness sake. Its a horse! How is it selfish as long as she is fed and cared for and the OP makes sure, as Im sure she will, that she goes to a good home. Why should she be pressured into keeping her, she isnt what she wants, so sell and move on.Lifes too short and horses are too expensive;)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
i think some people are more emotional about these things. Who cares if she sells her? She isnt mistreating the horse for goodness sake. Its a horse! How is it selfish as long as she is fed and cared for and the OP makes sure, as Im sure she will, that she goes to a good home. Why should she be pressured into keeping her, she isnt what she wants, so sell and move on.Lifes too short and horses are too expensive;)

Thanks NSN, yes she is loved and cared for and will be until she goes, she may not sell for a very long time, and although I feel emotional and want out, I will care for her as she deserves, not the poor filly's fault her owner was a lying sod!
She has been better cared for since I have had her that is for sure, she is a very settled and happy filly and I will endeavor to find her a lovely home unless things really change, like I win the lottery :D If only :rolleyes:

Anyway. i have brought on many youngsters before from birth but I simply want something that is closer to backing age, yes I am all to aware a year flies by so quickly but to keep horse that is no what I expected is quite different, she should be out in a field growing up with of course lots of handing and fuss.....not what I was buying

Holly Hocks

Visit site
In that case Moggy I think you should sell her. Someone will want her and will have the facilities to turn her away until she is older. Good luck with the hunt for another one!! x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

I'm just being honest and to the point. Not one of your posts on this thread has shown any concern for the horse. Best you sell her. Find one you want.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
In that case Moggy I think you should sell her. Someone will want her and will have the facilities to turn her away until she is older. Good luck with the hunt for another one!! x

Thanks HH, yes, I think it will be for the best, if I can actually sell her that is, market is saturated with young horses who are not at backing age or backed :eek:
Ah well, I did wonder if I would ever be so lucky to go from one perfect horse to the next, such a shame she is not older and more mature but you live and you learn don't you, she is a very young girl and I don't want a complete baby :( xx

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I'm just being honest and to the point. Not one of your posts on this thread has shown any concern for the horse. Best you sell her. Find one you want.

Again, you clearly do not know me at all wagtail. Anyway, you have missed the point of my post. I am angry I was lied to and that is what this post is about. Yes I want to sell her but not just give her to some horrible person! Had she been right and as described she would have had a loving home for life, just like my last beloved mare did, I would do anything for my animals. As you say, best i sell, best I get a horse that is right for me eh :rolleyes:

cronkmooar

Visit site

Thanks HH, yes, I think it will be for the best, if I can actually sell her that is, market is saturated with young horses who are not at backing age or backed :eek:
Ah well, I did wonder if I would ever be so lucky to go from one perfect horse to the next, such a shame she is not older and more mature but you live and you learn don't you, she is a very young girl and I don't want a complete baby :( xx

I have to be honest here - when I first saw your thread I could understand your disappointment.

After your last couple of posts you are coming accross more and more as just stamping your feet and behaving like a child.

I have now changed my opinion and think you should sell the filly - hopefully next time she will find a home where she will be considered more than just an object.

And I suppose the advantage of this thread is that any potential sellers might just see it and put two and two together and come up with four and realise it is you.

I for one would not sell you anything - might sound harsh but you are not coming accross as the sort of person I would want to let have any animal of mine

Good luck to the mare with her sale.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well hunny, if she's not right for you, then find her a new home and go looking again :)

And you're not a mug lass. It's just one of those things.

Thanks Mrs M, kind of feel like one, such a shame, but it all kind of adds up, hindsight is a marvelous thing. Hopefully I can get her a nice home soon and get myself something that is actually the age they say x

Rose Folly

Visit site
This is neither nere nor there as you have decided to sell the filly, but my last two horses have not been the age they were described as.

My TB was described as 11. She was in fact 13. I was fool enough to believe them andthere was some cock-and-bull story about the passport, then I checked her out at Weatherbys and through her show-jumping career and found out the truth. They offered either to take her back or knock quite a lot off her purchase price. I chose the latter, and she was the most beautiful ride until her legs gave out. She stayed with me as a much-loved retiree until she started to suffer. You feel you are losing out at the beginning of your filly's life. I lost out at the end of my mare's as I had bought her specifically for LDR.

The other, my current mare, had a passpsort which said one age, a penultimate owner who said another, and a vet who said neither. In the end we reckoned she was 5, not7 (you know the old saying "Dealer's yards are full of 7-year olds!"). Like you, I was gutted, as I'm getting on and did not see myself on a flighty baby. However, 6 years on she is with me (of course) and will be for ever. In hindsight I'm SO glad I didn't sell her on.

Just ponder your options for a day or two. But I do feel really sorry for how things have gone for y ou. I felt such a fool - and for it to happen twice!!!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I have to be honest here - when I first saw your thread I could understand your disappointment.

After your last couple of posts you are coming accross more and more as just stamping your feet and behaving like a child.

I have now changed my opinion and think you should sell the filly - hopefully next time she will find a home where she will be considered more than just an object.

And I suppose the advantage of this thread is that any potential sellers might just see it and put two and two together and come up with four and realise it is you.

I for one would not sell you anything - might sound harsh but you are not coming accross as the sort of person I would want to let have any animal of mine

Good luck to the mare with her sale.

You do not know me at all either, amazing how some of you feel you can judge someone on here. Just an object? I have no idea where you are coming from. My animals mean the absolute world to me, you really have no idea

This filly is very sweet but she is a baby, not something ready for backing this year as I hoped, The poor filly should be out in a field growing up with other youngsters not being palmed off as a 3 yr old ready for backing. Her old owner said I should start backing her now!! I dont think so, she is so young and deserves to be allowed to grow up.

I came on here as there are nice people whom have no doubt been lied to, I am not here trying to get publicity

You seem to be getting very personal cronkmooar?

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i dont see how she isn't showing any concern for the horse, other than perhaps worrying about hurting it's feelings ;) :rolleyes: It's - a - horse ! Not a child, not a dog... not a pet. Yes, its a commodity, a working animal to do a job. I refer to my earlier statement that as long as it's well cared for and not mistreated, who gives a fig if she sells it? and why should it put other sellers off?? Id stop trying to justify yourself OP ;)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
You do not know me at all either, amazing how some of you feel you can judge someone on here. Just an object? I have no idea where you are coming from. My animals mean the absolute world to me, you really have no idea

This filly is very sweet but she is a baby, not something ready for backing this year as I hoped, The poor filly should be out in a field growing up with other youngsters not being palmed off as a 3 yr old ready for backing. Her old owner said I should start backing her now!! I dont think so, she is so young and deserves to be allowed to grow up.

I came on here as there are nice people whom have no doubt been lied to, I am not here trying to get publicity

You seem to be getting very personal cronkmooar?

Have another read through your posts on this thread and how you come across. No, we don't know you, we only have your posts to go on and right now you sound as though you really don't care about anything but yourself. Of course this may be totally wrong! You may be the most loving, kind horse owner out there. But you don't post like one. The filly was right for you when you thought she was older. She has done nothing wrong but there has not been a single thought for her in all this. Yes the seller was in the wrong. But she is your responsibility now. Hopefully you will find her a home where someone loves her despite her age.

Sparkles

Visit site
There is a vast difference between something being mis-sold in age, when it is older than a 3/4 year old. Something which is sold as 7, but is actually 5 - workwise for the year, will not affect it that much. Same as a 13-11 year old. Still essentially wrong for mis-selling the horse, yes.

From something which is meant to be turning 3 and ready to back later this year - to not even being 2 yet....makes a huge difference if you bought it with a purpose [which, everyone has when buying a horse!]

It's not a cardinal sin to sell a horse because it's not right for you.

We all make mistakes. The OP is not stating the horse is the mistake here! But the vendor for mis-selling the filly.

For anyone who actually remembers Moggy's posts way before, before and during finding this filly - then you might actually empathise a bit with her. She's just been mis-sold what was meant to be her future dream horse after a long struggle to find one after losing her beloved old one.
I would be guilty of having a 'moment' about the whole situation also.

A bit of sympathy guys.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
i dont see how she isn't showing any concern for the horse, other than perhaps worrying about hurting it's feelings:rolleyes: It's - a - horse ! Not a child, not a dog... not a pet. Yes, its a commodity, a working animal to do a job. I refer to my earlier statement that as long as it's well cared for and not mistreated, who gives a fig if she sells it? and why should it put other sellers off??

I also don't see why it would put any sellers off - at least she is going to tell them the truth and has said what a lovely horse she is going to make - I haven't seen anything negative about the horse other than she is not suitable for what Moggy wants...

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Have another read through your posts on this thread and how you come across. No, we don't know you, we only have your posts to go on and right now you sound as though you really don't care about anything but yourself. Of course this may be totally wrong! You may be the most loving, kind horse owner out there. But you don't post like one. The filly was right for you when you thought she was older. She has done nothing wrong but there has not been a single thought for her in all this. Yes the seller was in the wrong. But she is your responsibility now. Hopefully you will find her a home where someone loves her despite her age.

but why shouldn't she care about her self and put her own needs first? That's no sin in these circumstances! Its a big investment, she isn't adopting a child from a 3rd world country! It's a horse! She'll do right by it and find it a good home, not everyone anthropomorphises !

Puzzles

Visit site
Big hugs to the OP! Better to sell her on to someone who does want a 2-year-old and who (no offence, OP) will appreciate her fully, than hang on in there for another year wondering if you've done the right thing when your heart isn't in it, especially with Nell sensing it ... for both their sakes, selling the youngster seems to be the best option as then both Nell and the OP will get what they want and need. The OP seems very sure of her decision anyway. However it is not an easy decision to make and evidently a difficult one to understand for some. However the OP nor horse are in any way at fault, and the horse will sell easily so the change will hopefully be as smooth for Nell as possible.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I've not read all the posts but in all honesty before you act quickly, I would get somebody else out to age her. I'd even suggest going to a very reputable dentist rather than a vet. I've known several vets who couldn't age a horse accurately and were happy to say so, but my very elderly dentist could tell you how old and what time of year on almost any horse in our yard, and he was right. Looking at the pictures you posted I think she looks different in the first one to the last two so again not easy to judge. Their body shapes can be all over the place at any stage in the early years so I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Quite honestly my rising 5 year old is still bum high at the mo, she levels out occasionally and then shoots up again. Check her out thoroughly before making a very tough decision.

If after that she isn't what you thought you were buying there's no shame in moving her on. Horses aren't just pets and whilst it's clear you care you have a right to be able to do the things you thought would be possible when you bought her. It would be far far different if you'd bought a 2 year old deliberately and then changed your mind! So I would ignore the harsh people and just take the advice that helps you with your current situation. Good luck whatever happens and I hope if you do get another opinion that you will post the results. For what it's worth I think she looks like a lovely little horse and you shouldn't have too much trouble selling her. :)

indie999

Visit site
Big hugs to the OP! Better to sell her on to someone who does want a 2-year-old and who (no offence, OP) will appreciate her fully, than hang on in there for another year wondering if you've done the right thing when your heart isn't in it, especially with Nell sensing it ... for both their sakes, selling the youngster seems to be the best option as then both Nell and the OP will get what they want and need. The OP seems very sure of her decision anyway. However it is not an easy decision to make and evidently a difficult one to understand for some. However the OP nor horse are in any way at fault, and the horse will sell easily so the change will hopefully be as smooth for Nell as possible.

Exactly whats the point in keeping the horse if your heart isnt in it. Its not good for the horse. The horse should be with someone who is going to nurture it from the young age. The OP isnt going to chuck it out the back door but am sure is going to find the horse and wonderful new home if that is the way to go. I wish I had the skill as the horse does look adorable and right up my street. If only I had the skill!!Good luck with your decision. Am sure someone out there will buy your horse.

Dexter

Visit site
Sell her and dont waste a minute on feeling guilty! She wont care where she is so long as her needs are met. You however do care, so why should you keep her?

Are the people having a go suggesting that you are the only person who can possibly care for this filly? Thats the only reason I can think of for saying that you must keep her. In all honesty as 2yr old she should be out with other young stock, and as you cant provide that environment, you cant care for her properly so that argument falls flat on its face.

Ensure she goes to a good home, and find your next horse. One who is everything you wanted, and then get on and enjoy him/her :D

cptrayes

Visit site
If it helps I have known many rising 3 year olds that still haven't shed their centrals. They are "supposed" to lose them at about 2 and a half, and by the time they are 3 they are replaced.
I have found that they often shed the centrals and grow the new ones at more or less the same time and it's nearly always nearer 3 than 2 and a half.

I had a fully chipped and documented warmblood with a verifiable history who lost his central 2 teeth while he was at the yard I sent him to be backed. He was very nearly three.

I think it is quite possible that she is a backward three year old, she looks just like a gypsy cob rising 3 that my friend owns.

I guess what you are really saying, though, OP, is that you don't think Nell is mature enough to ride this year and you need a horse to ride. If that's the case then you should sell her and get yourself what you need. She is a sweet horse, but hardly so unique that she is irreplaceable. I don't believe you owe her a home for life just because you own her now.